INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 20.0.129 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM  (Read 53250 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Media Center 20.0.129 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »

https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter-20.0.129-armhf.deb (also in the latest MC apt repository)

This build requires a linux or master license.
It does not have a permanent timeout.

See the announcement for the generic i386 build for non-arm specific changes.

Only arm specific issues should be posted in this thread.

20.0.129 (7/16/2015)

1. Fixed: The focus fix from 20.0.123 was incomplete and was preventing the DSP studio (amongst others) from showing properly on hover.
2. Changed: All MC windows are class hinted properly now.

20.0.123 (6/25/2015)

1. Changed: Updates from the main branch.

Hilton

JRiver Media Center 20.0.110 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »

Updated :)
Did it all via ssh on the iPhone. Nice and simple with the new APT repository!
Used VNC on the iPhone to login and check and all looks great.  Thanks guys another new milestone for JRiver. :)

And did the command line registration too. Nice.

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.110 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:54 am »

Updated :)
Did it all via ssh on the iPhone. Nice and simple with the new APT repository!
Used VNC on the iPhone to login and check and all looks great.  Thanks guys another new milestone for JRiver. :)

And did the command line registration too. Nice.
Thanks for the feedback!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:26 am »

Yep, all went great here too.  Everything's up and running all licenses happily installed on Raspbian, Raspbian Jessie, and Arch. 

BTW, is xfonts-unifonts a hard requirement for the ARM build now too?  I saw it was for the AMD build, but I want to make sure my RPi tutorial is still accurate.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:08 pm »

BTW, is xfonts-unifonts a hard requirement for the ARM build now too?  I saw it was for the AMD build, but I want to make sure my RPi tutorial is still accurate.
Yes it is.
The only reason it's not in the generic i386 build is that the depends: for fonts doesn't work properly on multiarch machines.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:27 pm »

Yes it is.
The only reason it's not in the generic i386 build is that the depends: for fonts doesn't work properly on multiarch machines.

Thanks for confirmation, I added it to the dep list.

newbluesman

• Recent member
about to load MC on BeagleBone Black - will JRemote connect?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:17:09 am »

Like many posting on various forums, I've never been able to get the HDMI to work on my BeagleBone Black.  So I've been running MPD headlessly and controlling it with MPoD.  I want to put MC on my 'bone, but I need a way to set it up and control it from my iPhone &/or Androids since I have no video output.  Will JRemote work with an ARM instance of MC?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

Like many posting on various forums, I've never been able to get the HDMI to work on my BeagleBone Black.  So I've been running MPD headlessly and controlling it with MPoD.  I want to put MC on my 'bone, but I need a way to set it up and control it from my iPhone &/or Androids since I have no video output.  Will JRemote work with an ARM instance of MC?

I can't comment on a Beagle Bone, but I'm controlling a Raspberry Pi 2 running JRiver with JRemote as we speak.  Works a treat.

newbluesman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 03:00:02 pm »

I can't comment on a Beagle Bone, but I'm controlling a Raspberry Pi 2 running JRiver with JRemote as we speak.  Works a treat.
Good enough for me!  I'll invest $10 to find out and report back.  Keep your wires crossed.......

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »

Good enough for me!  I'll invest $10 to find out and report back.  Keep your wires crossed.......

Try it with Gizmo first for free.  If Gizmo works, there's a 99% chance JRemote will.

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:35:43 am »

Gents,

I have issue with my registration, MC keeps pops up window said "The trail period has expired".
I did both restore methods via same window by entering the serial number and also via terminal "MediaCenter20 /RestoreFromFile "MediaCenter20_Linux-xxxxxx.mjr". By window it was ok but whenever I restart mc or reboot, the same trail expired window pops up again. The way it goes, I soon will run out my restoration allowance. :(

Can any one of you please help?

Chanh

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:19:45 pm »

Gents,

I have issue with my registration, MC keeps pops up window said "The trail period has expired".
I did both restore methods via same window by entering the serial number and also via terminal "MediaCenter20 /RestoreFromFile "MediaCenter20_Linux-xxxxxx.mjr". By window it was ok but whenever I restart mc or reboot, the same trail expired window pops up again. The way it goes, I soon will run out my restoration allowance. :(

Can any one of you please help?

Chanh
Sound like a permissions or ownership issue for the Settings files.
Check ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/Settings

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »

Bob - can you pls elaborate further? Do I do this via terminal or GUI? If via Terminal, I need a clearer folder path or instructions on how to get there, please!

Many thanks

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »

Sound like a permissions or ownership issue for the Settings files.
Check ~/.jriver/Media Center 20/Settings
I got into the folder and see two files.
Machine Settings.ini
User Settings.ini
Nano into each file but have no idea what must be amended.

newbluesman

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »

Try it with Gizmo first for free.  If Gizmo works, there's a 99% chance JRemote will.
First, I have to get it running.  I was able to install MC on my 'bone after only two tries - I had some dependency problems that were corrected with sudo apt-get install -f.  But my master license file doesn't seem to be in the right place because I can't get it recognized from the command line using mediacenter20 /RestoreFromFile ~/Downloads/"Media Center20 Linux-YYYYYY.mjr" .  I'll go back in tonight and make sure the mjr file is in the right folder, then try again. Assuming it works, I'll drop the ip address into Gizmo and give it a go.  Thanks!

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 11:04:08 am »

Hello,
I've been using JRiver on windows for a while now but just got it running on the RPi - simply amazing.

I have a couple of small bugs, I think:

1. JRemote seems unable to restart or shutdown the RPi - if that would work it'll make it much more convenient as I'm sure most people are running headless.

2. I get occasional 'hick-ups' where the music would cut out for a second or so - this corresponds to a spike on the CPU performance meter... I couldn't find a specific situation where this is happening but seems more often with Hi-rez music. My RPI is connected with Ethernet to the music server and I never had network issues running the windows machine in exactly the same network setup.

Lastly,
Is JRiver 20 on RPi exactly like the windows version in terms of DSP and digital volume etc?

Thanks, keep up the great work!

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 06:58:11 am »

Did fresh install to my Banana Pro, reinstalled Bananian and JRiver from scratch has solved the issue. Working great now!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 09:01:26 am »

Hello,
I've been using JRiver on windows for a while now but just got it running on the RPi - simply amazing.

I have a couple of small bugs, I think:

1. JRemote seems unable to restart or shutdown the RPi - if that would work it'll make it much more convenient as I'm sure most people are running headless.

I don't speak for JRiver (I'm just a user), and bob can weigh in on this, but my guess would be that that's unlikely to happen in the short term because a shutdown or reboot in linux typically requires elevated privileges (i.e. sudo), which requires authentication.  The various desktop environments all have a shutdown button that does not require authentication, but they do that using dark magic involving consolekit or logind/polkit.  And each desktop environment handles that magic a little differently, and consolekit vs. logind/polkit work differently, etc.  

So I would expect, based on my admittedly limited knowledge, that writing a shutdown script that didn't require elevated privileges would require writing at least two, or three, or four different approaches and trying to detect on the fly which of them would work on a given user's system, and it would, inevitably, not work on some systems.  

2. I get occasional 'hick-ups' where the music would cut out for a second or so - this corresponds to a spike on the CPU performance meter... I couldn't find a specific situation where this is happening but seems more often with Hi-rez music. My RPI is connected with Ethernet to the music server and I never had network issues running the windows machine in exactly the same network setup.

If you're seeing a CPU spike and it only happens with hi rez material, it's not likely a network issue, more likely that you're testing the limits of your RPi.  Are you using a Pi1 or a Pi2?  If you're using a Pi 1 that's to be expected, it will play normal res material fine, but will likely struggle a bit with higer res.  If you're using the Pi 2, you shouldn't have issues with native playback of hi res material.  Check out this post for some CPU usage comparison graphs: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97100.0

But even the Pi 2 has limits (the cpu is more powerful than a Pi 1, but still a ways behind a regular computer), so if you're trying to upsample on the fly, that might not work.  Have you tried overclocking the Pi to see if the issue goes away (obviously only try it if you're comfortable with it, and I wouldn't recommend exceeding the "recommended" overclock settings)?

Lastly,
Is JRiver 20 on RPi exactly like the windows version in terms of DSP and digital volume etc?

Thanks, keep up the great work!

Not sure about this one; I haven't identified any differences yet, but there may be some.  I'll let Bob weigh in.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »

Thanks for the feedback mate!

I'm using the RPi2b and during normal playback CPU usage is around 25%.
I'd like to clarify that I'm having these occasional pauses with Redbook material too, often after I'd start a new song or skip to the next (via JRemote on iPhone 6) it would start playing a few seconds than a pause...

newbluesman

• Recent member
Up & running on the 'bone with two non-critical issues
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »

MC's making good music on the Beaglebone - I finally resorted to TightVNC, and it was a breeze once I had a GUI. So I dropped the big dime and bought JRemote - it's very nice and easy to use, although it doesn't blow the Gizmos away. I don't see an option to stream to my iPhone, though. And when I try to play a track on my phone using WebGizmo, I get a message that the file can't be found, even though it opens and plays fine through the USB out of the BBB. Does the ARM MC stream to a remote device through JRemote like the other platforms do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

ARM should work the same way that other Linux distro's do.

newbluesman

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 07:44:59 pm »

ARM should work the same way that other Linux distro's do.
It does - I just found the zone settings when sliding the "now playing" line at the bottom of the JRemote screen to the right. Yes, it was an accident. But all is right with the world.

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 06:33:24 am »

I'd like to clarify that I'm having these occasional pauses with Redbook material too, often after I'd start a new song or skip to the next (via JRemote on iPhone 6) it would start playing a few seconds than a pause...

What playback device do you use?

I've similar behavior,  got redbook material working OK now by setting the CPU scaling Governor off.
Simplest way to do this is adding  force_turbo=1 to your /boot/config.txt

Be aware the PI is running on the max frequency settings all time;
others have to jump in for more elegant solutions

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:50 am »

Bob is out of the office until tomorrow.

There are other threads about licensing on this board.  You can enter it from the command line if necessary.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 01:01:02 pm »

I've similar behavior,  got redbook material working OK now by setting the CPU scaling Governor off.

Thanks Mate,
I'm using a Chord Hugo - so I assume the problem isn't there. I'll try your idea - thanks Mate!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »

FYI, using the force_turbo flag is not a great idea, especially if you're overclocking.  My understanding is that it not only disables CPU scaling, but also voltage/thermal throttling, and will void your warranty if used in combination with overclocking because it gives the pi no way to get rid of excess heat.

If your issue is the performance lag from the default "ondemand" governor, the safe way to handle that with or without overclocking is to set the CPU governor to "performance" which will set the frequency to maximum, but does not disable thermal throttling.  I'm not in front of a pi so I can't post the exact command, but you should be able to do it with the cpufreq-set command.  You'll probably need to install cpufrequtils first.

I haven't personally had dropouts with the standard governor on my Pi 2's, but I could see how that might be an issue with latency-sensitive equipment.

See here (both article and comments) for more info about the warranty issue: https://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-turbo-mode-up-to-50-more-performance-for-free/

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »

FYI, using the force_turbo flag is not a great idea, especially if you're overclocking.  My understanding is that it not only disables CPU scaling, but also voltage/thermal throttling, and will void your warranty if used in combination with overclocking because it gives the pi no way to get rid of excess heat.

If your issue is the performance lag from the default "ondemand" governor, the safe way to handle that with or without overclocking is to set the CPU governor to "performance" which will set the frequency to maximum, but does not disable thermal throttling.  I'm not in front of a pi so I can't post the exact command, but you should be able to do it with the cpufreq-set command.

I haven't personally had dropouts with the standard governor on my Pi 2's, but I could see how that might be an issue with latency-sensitive equipment.

See here (both article and comments) for more info: https://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-turbo-mode-up-to-50-more-performance-for-free/

Thanks, I'll try it too - I'm not overlocking at the moment.

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »

thanx, never understood why it is a bad idea

If your issue is the performance lag from the default "ondemand" governor, the safe way to handle that with or without overclocking is to set the CPU governor to "performance" which will set the frequency to maximum, but does not disable thermal throttling.  I'm not in front of a pi so I can't post the exact command, but you should be able to do it with the cpufreq-set command.  You'll probably need to install cpufrequtils first.

for each core (cpu0, cpu1, cpu2, cpu3)

echo -n performance | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

got this form: http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi

See reply below

Still looking for a success story with an (USB) UAC2 device, RPI/MC/UAC2 doesn't seem to be a good marriage.
I'll guess it is quite latency-sensitive because its running or standstill.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 05:45:17 pm »

I would recommend against making any kernel setting changes that you don't understand, and setting swappiness to 0 is potentially a bad idea depending on how you use memory. A lot of the advice on that page will lead to instability or poor results.

The cpu frequency command offered there is correct as far as it goes, but will not survive a reboot and isn't particularly elegant.  

The way I would suggest instead is to use cpufrequtils (which is how you do it in normal linux).  First install cpufrequtils
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
Then try entering
for n in {0..3}; do sudo cpufreq-set -c $n -g performance; done

If you want to confirm whether the command succeeded enter the "cpufreq-info" command.  

If you want to have the governor settings survive reboots, add the "for..." line to your rc.local (removing the sudo), or you can run it as a script (also removing the sudo) on reboot using cron (in root's crontab).  I'm going to add some info on this to my quick start guide at some point.

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:14 am »

Thanks Mate,
I'm using a Chord Hugo - so I assume the problem isn't there. I'll try your idea - thanks Mate!

Unfortunately manufacturers are not very clear of which Usb Audio Class their device is, probably because Windows lacks native support of UAC2. The Cord Hugo isn’t an exception, the specs say HD-USB audio. As it is capable of 32 bit audio and need a windows driver chances are big it is an UAC2 device.

JRiver confirmed they haven’t got a UAC2 device that works with the PI:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96616.0

For all readers: Sorry to be persistent on this subject,  I'm just an enthusiastic MC user trying to get his setup working.
Although hesitating to bring half-baked info, reads on the subject:
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html
and (JUST FOR READING  , never use a script/command if you don’t know what your doing)
http://lacocina.nl/

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 02:55:47 am »

Unfortunately manufactures are not very clear of witch Usb Audio Class they’re device is, probably because Windows lacks native support of UAC2. The Cord Hugo isn’t an expectation, the specs say HD-USB audio. As it is capable of 32 bit audio and need a windows driver chances are big it is an UAC2 device.

JRiver confirmed they haven’t got a UAC2 device that works:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96616.0

For all readers: Sorry to be persistent on this subject,  I'm just an enthusiastic MC user trying to get his setup working.
Although hesitating to bring half-backed info, reads on the subject:
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html
and (JUST FOR READING  , never use a script/command if you don’t know what your doing)
http://lacocina.nl/

Thanks Mate,
This is why I'm using Optical toslink to connect the Pi and DAC...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:23 am »

I don't work at JRiver, but needing a windows driver isn't a good proxy for UAC2 compliance.  I've had no problems with four or five different USB DACs with the Pi using a variety of sample rates, including some that needed windows drivers.  

You don't necessarily need UAC2 to get high sample rate output with the Pi, so I'm not sure what the advantage is? An Asus U7 allows high sample-rate playback, and requires a bit of fiddling, but (eventually) works with the Pi.  The U7 requires a driver in windows, but isn't (to my knowledge) UAC2 compliant.  The fiio e17 or ODAC don't need windows drivers (so are probably UAC1 compliant), but both work without dropouts at 96KHz with the Pi.

Mark_NL, does your DAC work correctly with a normal linux install on an x86 computer?  You've mentioned before that it's in the newer ALSA builds, but have you tested your specific DAC (the one you're holding in your hands) to make sure the USB interface works with a normal linux computer? If you haven't investigated those avenues you may be barking up the wrong tree.  

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 09:48:21 am »

I don't work at JRiver, but needing a windows driver isn't a good proxy for UAC2 compliance.  I've had no problems with four or five different USB DACs with the Pi using a variety of sample rates, including some that needed windows drivers.  

You don't necessarily need UAC2 to get high sample rate output with the Pi, so I'm not sure what the advantage is? A fiio e17 or ODAC, for example, work at 96KHz with the Pi, they just don't happen to be UAC2 compliant DACs.   An Asus U7 requires a bit of fiddling, but also works with the Pi but that card requires a driver in windows, and isn't (to my knowledge) UAC2 compliant.

Yes you are right and I know, therefor big chance. It's darn hard to determine the exact nature of a USB audio divice.  I've looked at the specs of all the DAC's reported to work (including yours, wasn't sure about the e17...) none was without any doubt UAC2. There is a DD_DAC reported working: There are two type's  the NOS 1794 often comes with a UAC2 to i2s interface but again not always. Can't find the post but he used an Banana PI, which (as far my knowledge goes) it has a more mature USB implementation.

Mark_NL, does your DAC work with a normal linux install on an x86 computer?  You've mentioned before that it's in the newer ALSA builds, but have you tested your specific DAC with a normal linux computer?  If you haven't investigated those avenues you may be barking up the wrong tree. 

Yes, specially made a laptop dual boot MS Windows/Debian. Dac works like a charm!
Furthermore in one Raspbian setup (SD card) installed VLC beside MC - VLC using the same alsa settings playing without a glitch.
Till now i don't know if it is barking on the right tree: is it specific for this USB implementation+PI2+MC?  Or is MC + UAC2 just to much for the lovely PI2?
So let's keep it in the middle, it hasn't been proven PRI+UAC2+MC works.

OT - really appreciate your informative posts

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 10:00:59 am »

First, I have to get it running.  I was able to install MC on my 'bone after only two tries - I had some dependency problems that were corrected with sudo apt-get install -f.  But my master license file doesn't seem to be in the right place because I can't get it recognized from the command line using mediacenter20 /RestoreFromFile ~/Downloads/"Media Center20 Linux-YYYYYY.mjr" .  I'll go back in tonight and make sure the mjr file is in the right folder, then try again. Assuming it works, I'll drop the ip address into Gizmo and give it a go.  Thanks!
Use the full path to the license file, don't use a tilde.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 10:02:54 am »

Yes, specially made a laptop dual boot MS Windows/Debian. Dac works like a charm!
Furthermore in one Raspbian setup (SD card) installed VLC beside MC - VLC using the same alsa settings playing without a glitch.
Till now i don't know if it is barking on the right tree: is it specific for this USB implementation+PI2+MC?  Or is MC + UAC2 just to much for the lovely PI2?

Are you seeing issues with Redbook files?  If so, then VLC is a good point of comparison.  For high res, however VLC generally just outputs to the system default output (usually pulse) which resamples everything to the system sample rate (typically 48KHz), so it's not really a good point of comparison for hi res files.  You may be playing a 192KHz file, but with VLC the system is quietly downsampling it to 48K before it ever hits the USB bus.  

Let's get back to basics, have you tried choosing different ALSA outputs for your DAC in JRiver?  Specifically have you tried the hardware outputs (the ones with names starting with "front:")?  

Just for testing, have you tried using the system default in JRiver?  Does that work the same as VLC, or does that not work either?  That's not a desirable long-term solution, but will tell us something if it works.

Do you have other USB peripherals plugged in?  Have you tried moving all peripherals to a powered USB hub?

So let's keep it in the middle, it hasn't been proven PRI+UAC2+MC works.

I certainly haven't been able to confirm or disconfirm, but that's more due to the scarcity of UAC2 DACs than anything.  I would be very surprised if UAC2 DACs as a group did not work with MC and the Pi.

OT - really appreciate your informative posts

My pleasure, I hope we get you sorted  ;D

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:06 am »

Are you seeing issues with Redbook files?  If so, then VLC is a good point of comparison.  For high res, however VLC generally just outputs to the system default output (usually pulse) which resamples everything to the system sample rate (typically 48KHz), so it's not really a good point of comparison for hi res files.  You may be playing a 192KHz file, but with VLC the system is quietly downsampling it to 48K before it ever hits the USB bus.  

Minnor issues with redbook but not flawless. Just payed 24/96 with VLC:
DIYINHK DIYINHK USB Audio 2.0 at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.4, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 127
    Momentary freq = 96013 Hz (0xc.0068)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
BTW: I think "Feedback Format = 16.16" and "Data packet interval: 125 us" are indicators for dealing with a UAC 2 device, can you confirm??

Let's get back to basics, have you tried choosing different ALSA outputs for your DAC in JRiver?  Specifically have you tried the hardware outputs (the ones with names starting with "front:")?  

The hardware output "Front:CARD=D20 DEV=0  [ALSA]" works best thus this is the one i use.

Just for testing, have you tried using the system default in JRiver?  Does that work the same as VLC, or does that not work either?  That's not a desirable long-term solution, but will tell us something if it works.

In JRiver Sysdefault:CARD=D20 only plays material in the 48 kHz family Correction does not play 44,1 kHz and above 48 play's downsampled to 48 kHz. DSP seems to set this on the fly.
VLC samples verything to 48 kHz playing to ....USB.. DEFAULT AUDIO", playing 44.1 kHz:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/stream0
DIYINHK DIYINHK USB Audio 2.0 at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.4, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 67
    Momentary freq = 48007 Hz (0x6.0038)
    Feedback Format = 16.16

Do you have other USB peripherals plugged in?  Have you tried moving all peripherals to a powered USB hub?

Only the dac is plugged in. The USB receiver is partly powered by USB, the DAC it self (and some parts of the USB receiver) has  separate power supplies.

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 03:09:13 am »

Bob,

I have repeated issue with "trail period expired" windows pops up, again. This had happened before and after many unsuccessfully restore, I made fresh installation.  It was working for few days, now the same registration issue appears. I only have three more restore left...!
How can I rectify this?
Many thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 06:36:42 am »

Bob has been on vacation.  He's returning tomorrow your time.  l've cleared your restores, so don't worry about using them.

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 08:40:50 am »

Bob has been on vacation.  He's returning tomorrow your time.  l've cleared your restores, so don't worry about using them.
Many thanks Jim. Really appreciate your supports! I wonder if I was single out from this weird "trail period expired" or there is a bug within 110-build? I upgraded from 20.0.91 to 20.0.110.
Btw, I use Banana Pro as all in one server with Built-in wifi as AP. JRiver is playing to my BeagleBone Black under UPnP protocol for I2S direct to my DAC via Miero Botic driver.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 08:43:57 am »

Many thanks Jim. Really appreciate your supports! I wonder if I was single out from this weird "trail period expired" or there is a bug within 110-build? I upgraded from 20.0.91 to 20.0.110.

I have several Pi's running 20.0.110 with no license issues, and so do several other folks, so it's not a general issue. 

Given that your license seems to "take" but is then "forgotten" it sounds a lot like a filesystem permissions issue.  If you need to restore the license whenever you reboot, it's definitely a permissions issue.

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:08 am »

I have several Pi's running 20.0.110 with no license issues, and so do several other folks, so it's not a general issue. 

Given that your license seems to "take" but is then "forgotten" it sounds a lot like a filesystem permissions issue.  If you need to restore the license whenever you reboot, it's definitely a permissions issue.
so how to address this, do you know?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 09:37:36 am »

so how to address this, do you know?

Post the output of the following terminal commands:
ls -la ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20
ls -la ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/Settings

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:40 am »

Btw, I use Banana Pro as all in one server with Built-in wifi as AP. JRiver is playing to my BeagleBone Black under UPnP protocol for I2S direct to my DAC via Miero Botic driver.
Ahh, Found the DD-DAC!
Chanh have you ever tried to drive your dac with an USB to i2c converter using MC20-arm?
If so,  was it a USB Audio Class 2 device?

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 04:29:24 pm »

Post the output of the following terminal commands:
ls -la ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20
ls -la ~/.jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/Settings
Many thanks for this! Did the fresh installation again with JRiver 20.0.91, seems trouble free. Will do the upgrade tonight to 110 and if I face the same issue again, these command lines are coming in handy. Will report back soon.

Ahh, Found the DD-DAC!
Chanh have you ever tried to drive your dac with an USB to i2c converter using MC20-arm?
If so,  was it a USB Audio Class 2 device?
Yes, I have been using JRiver-Arm from early day 20.0.66. Working flawlessly with USB DAC. I used it for Accuphase DC-37, driver pick up as ei9560 under audio option. As for DDDAC, I use WaveIO. Driver pickup as Luckit. No issue with USB driver to DAC. Only issue up and until 110 is the JRemote does not automatically sync/showing actual playing screen whenever new album or track is selected. Have to get out, press next or close JRemote altogether and reopen for the  actual showing. This doesn't bother me as JRiver interface with JRemote are awesome! :)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 08:52:50 am »

I would recommend against making any kernel setting changes that you don't understand, and setting swappiness to 0 is potentially a bad idea depending on how you use memory. A lot of the advice on that page will lead to instability or poor results.

The cpu frequency command offered there is correct as far as it goes, but will not survive a reboot and isn't particularly elegant.  

The way I would suggest instead is to use cpufrequtils (which is how you do it in normal linux).  First install cpufrequtils
sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
Then try entering
for n in {0..3}; do sudo cpufreq-set -c $n -g performance; done

If you want to confirm whether the command succeeded enter the "cpufreq-info" command.  

If you want to have the governor settings survive reboots, add the "for..." line to your rc.local (removing the sudo), or you can run it as a script (also removing the sudo) on reboot using cron (in root's crontab).  I'm going to add some info on this to my quick start guide at some point.

Hello again,
I tried these commands and they work (CPUFreq) but I can't get it to boot with those settings...
I created an rc.local file in my /home/pi directory but my pi doesn't play along... am I missing something?

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.114 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2015, 09:34:34 am »

Hello again,
I tried these commands and they work (CPUFreq) but I can't get it to boot with those settings...
I created an rc.local file in my /home/pi directory but my pi doesn't play along... am I missing something?

Thanks!

That won't work.  Try this:

type
touch /home/pi/governor.sh
chmod 755 /home/pi/governor.sh
nano /home/pi/governor.sh
Then enter the following text in the file:
#!/bin/bash
for n in {0..3}; do cpufreq-set -c $n -g performance; done
Save by pressing CTRL-X, y, and then enter twice.

Now type
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
And add the following above the line that reads "exit 0"
/home/pi/governor.shSave by pressing CTRL-X, y, and then enter twice.

Now it should survive reboots.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:00 am »

Sorry,
I'm a complete Noob,
When I follow your instructions and save the governor.sh file I get an error message (in Nano) saying 'Error writing home/pi/governor.sh: no such file or directory'...?

Thank you,

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 10:00:35 am »

Sorry there's a typo in my instructions.  There should be a slash "/" before home in the third line.  I just fixed it.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2015, 10:05:54 am »

Sorry there's a typo in my instructions.  There should be a slash "/" before home in the third line.  I just fixed it.

Perfect!
Works now - thanks so much!

Let's hope this solves the annoying pops in the sound...

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:09 am »

Hello,
I've changed the CPU governor to performance and now it's running at 900Mhz constantly.
I'm Using an RPI 2 + HifiBerry digi+

Sadly it didn't stop the occasional (very annoying) audio cut-outs.

I've taken a few screenshots and you can see that for some reason MC spikes in CPU usage - this is when it happens. I always take these screen shots a few seconds in delay (while I log into the VNC app, etc) but take my word for it - MC spikes.

I also noticed what looks like a memory leak when I boot up fresh MC (and VNC the only other thing running on the RPi) takes about 250mb of memory but after a while it keeps growing and after two days without a reboot it get's to 600mb memory in use...

I'm not sure if it's connected but I'm worried that if I used room correction (once I get there) I'll run out of memory.

I hope it helps,
Please share your thoughts,

Thank you
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up