INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 21 not working [Solved]  (Read 4991 times)

pkaufmann

• Recent member
Media Center 21 not working [Solved]
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »

I installed Media Center 21 and it doesn't play music. I can't connect to it with JRemote either. If I switch back to 20 I can play music but JRemote still wouldn't connect until I quit the server and ran server 20. Seems like 21 is DOA. Running on Windows 2012 R2 Essentials.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New install of Media Center 21 not working
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »

You have something misconfigured. Or, actually, probably more than one something. The Audio Engine of MC21 has not changed, and MCWS (how JRemote connects) works exactly the same way.

Work through the Audio Troubleshooting Guide (using MC21).  If it provides any errors, please report them, along with any other details you have (as we're not mind readers).

Also, to let you know: MC is not supported on Server editions of Windows. It is possible to get it to run, just fine, on Windows server, but configuring Server as a workstation is not a simple task, and there are potentially a million different ways to misconfigure it and break applications like MC. So, it is not supported. You will need to do substantial troubleshooting yourself on an unsupported OS.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:12:16 am »

Make sure you actually installed MC21.  It's at the top of the MC21 board.

Part of your problem could be a firewall or antivirus program.

Get audio working first.

The problem isn't MC21.  It is working fine for many people.

pkaufmann

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »

I have upgraded once before on this machine without issue. I believe it was from 17 to 20. All of the settings came over to the new version. I only took a brief look at the settings on 21 and they look to be OK. I will do a deep dive in the next few days when I get some time. I am currently using version 20 on the same machine without any issues.

As to the second post, I am assuming that if it says JRiver 21 in the title bar and you run update and it tells you you are running the lasted version, then I am up to date. If it is possible for the title bar to be wrong when you have more than one version loaded please let me know.

Stay tuned for more details.

pkaufmann

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:16:40 am »

I have looked at the settings in detail and don't find anything different from version 20. I tried to remove my DLNA server (PSAudio Direct Stream) and re-add it but this did not help. I have noticed that it does adjust the volume, it just won't stream music. I have been very pleased with JRiver on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials up to version 20 and since JRiver is not going to help I need to uninstall version 21 and freeze any further upgrades.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:43:50 am »

It's hard to help if you don't do what you've been advised and report what you've done.  Please re-read glynor's post and mine.

Work through audio setup on the wiki.  Get it to play music first.

You may have MC20 using WASAPI in Exclusive mode and preventing another program from playing.  Try any other audio player.

This is truly not a problem with MC21.  

pkaufmann

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:24:35 am »

I have looked at the audio setup guide and most of it is very generic and does not apply to my setup. I am comparing the audio setups in JRiver 20 with those in JRiver 21 and do not see any differences (20 works 21 does not). This is a server and I don't have any audio device installed, I am using the DLNA device (PSAudio Directstream) exclusively. I believe you when you say there is nothing wrong with version 21, but if I can't find why it is different from 20, then I have to go back to what works. Because of the numerous options in JRiver it makes more sense to me to focus on my particular settings (which work very well in version 20) rather than a very broad how to. I thought that the fact that I could control the volume on the Directstream but not stream music would be some kind of clue that would point me in the right direction, but it doesn't seem to ring any bells with you I guess?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 10:34:34 am »

So when you say "doesn't play music", you mean on the DLNA Renderer, not in MC.

If it works in MC20, it will work in MC21.

It's very possible that a firewall is blocking MC21 but allowing MC20.  Antivirus can also be a problem.  I mentioned both above.

MC20 and MC21 shouldn't share the same port.  The wiki has a topic on [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url].  

pkaufmann

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:13 pm »

If they had an emoji for red faced I'd be using it. I made the false assumption from the beginning that I had the firewall turned off. Your beating me over the head about the firewall finally made me check it and sure enough that was it! Thanks for your patience in putting up with my "I know what I'm doing" blindness.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 01:21:50 am »

Very funny.  Thanks. 

Now, hopefully, you'll be able to do the same for someone else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up