INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 crashes frequently, always when I try to burn [SOLVED]  (Read 3699 times)

Balisarda

• Recent member
MC20 crashes frequently, always when I try to burn [SOLVED]
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:16:59 am »

Hello,

Since a couple of updates ago, MC20 has been crashing with increasing frequency. I've tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling, as well as installing MC19, and nothing is helping.

If there is a blank CD in the optical drive, I can't even start the program. If I select the Burn tab in the Options menu, the program freezes. If I select the Burn tab in the Action Window, the program freezes. It can also freeze simply during playback or ripping, but slightly less frequently.

I thought perhaps my optical drive was dying, causing the software crashes, so I replaced it, but that hasn't helped at all.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Eric

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC20 crashes frequently, always when I try to burn
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:25:14 am »

My advice would be to change Auto Play in windows....to do nothing for cd and dvd...and see if this helps when starting MC. and go from there
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Balisarda

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »

I had already selected Take No Action for all AutoPlay options. After your suggestion, I also disabled "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices," but this hasn't helped either.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I still need help here.

Best,
Eric

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:13 am »

have you seen any of these older threads? mabe something here can help

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95636.0
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:48 am »

Hello,

Since a couple of updates ago, MC20 has been crashing with increasing frequency. I've tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling, as well as installing MC19, and nothing is helping.

If there is a blank CD in the optical drive, I can't even start the program. If I select the Burn tab in the Options menu, the program freezes. If I select the Burn tab in the Action Window, the program freezes. It can also freeze simply during playback or ripping, but slightly less frequently.

I thought perhaps my optical drive was dying, causing the software crashes, so I replaced it, but that hasn't helped at all.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Eric

maybe some more info on your pc specs and what you are trying to achieve...is it to burn a cd, rip a cd or is MC just freezing for no apparent reason...if the last is the case-have you seen the threads on anti virus programs, fire walls also could produce these symptoms...

Balisarda

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:33 am »

I always run the most-current version of MC, as of now 20.0.131.

The hyperlinked thread says the issue is fixed, but obviously it is not, especially with the number of people I now see are having the same problem.

So, details:

If I have a blank CD-R in my drive and try to start MC, the program never starts.

If I have MC open and insert a blank CD-R, at some point (either while trying to recognize the disc, or sometimes later when I select Burn from Action Window, or after selecting Audio CD--it varies) at some point the program locks, with the spinning blue wheel indicating 'processing' spinning forever.

At this point, no matter how long I wait, nothing happens, and the automatically-appearing window that gives the option to Close Program doesn't work, either. Instead, I must open Task Manager and End Program, which takes a while to work.

If I restart MC after this (without rebooting the entire computer), I'm usually unable to play via ASIO 2.0 (which is my default), but I can play via Direct Sound.

I'm running MC on a Windows 7 machine.

As I said, this problem only appeared a couple of updates ago, but now installing an older version MC (MC 19) doesn't fix the problem. (And I never had this problem when MC 19 was current.) This leads me to believe that something has been changed that doesn't get deleted when uninstalling MC 20.

Thanks,
Eric

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:05 am »

This leads me to believe that something has been changed that doesn't get deleted when uninstalling MC 20.

All of the evidence you've provided leads me to believe that something changed on your computer.

MC19 does not use any of the resources from MC20. They are completely isolated from one another. So if it used to work on MC19, and does not anymore, then something changed on your end. Full stop.

Also, the issue referenced with ASIO is an odd thing to mention, but that indicates pretty clearly that a driver (or more than one) is locking up on your computer.

My guess is that an OS update broke some drivers you are using, and you need to update your drivers. The most likely culprits, from your description, are:
* Platform Drivers (the Intel CPU and chipset drivers)
* Storage Controller Drivers (either Intel Rapid Storage or something similar)

It is also possible you have a hardware issue (cables and drives do go bad). Have you tested burning a similar music disc in another, unrelated application?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Balisarda

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 01:42:35 pm »

Your explanation seemed utterly reasonable and probably correct, so I sought for something that wasn't updated to the latest version.

The only thing I could find was Intel RST.

After updating RST, everything functions as smoothly as it always has.

Thank you for your help,
Eric

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC20 crashes frequently, always when I try to burn [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »

After updating RST, everything functions as smoothly as it always has.

Thank you very much for reporting the solution! I'm glad it helped!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up