INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2015  (Read 10314 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2015
« on: September 02, 2015, 12:35:33 pm »

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) is taking place in Denver, CO from October 2-4. From the website:

The 12th Annual Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) is the largest consumer audio and home entertainment show in the United States. Simply put: “mega stereo systems!” Denver’s own audio wonderland now features over 160 exhibit spaces representing more than 400 hundred companies from North and South America, Europe, Australia and Asia.

Attendees are encouraged to go from room-to-room, interact with salespeople and engineers, have a seat and casually listen. Many bring their own iPods, discs or vinyl records, as most exhibitors are happy to play one or two favorite songs as a demonstration of sound quality. A variety of equipment is demonstrated, ranging from affordable audio systems to ultra-expensive high-end gear.

RMAF also features live entertainment, informative seminars, equipment show specials, and prize drawings throughout the weekend.

Last year JRiver Media Center had a room and Matt, Bob, and John from JRiver were in attendance.

This year, instead of a "mega stereo system" the room will be a "mega home theater" with concert Blu-rays.
  • I'm bringing my HTPC, Motu 1248, amplifiers, and GIK Acoustics room treatments for the room.
  • JTR Speakers is bringing 5 of their 210RT (Reference Tower) speakers and two Captivator 1400 subwoofers.
  • Seymour Screen Excellence is providing a 126" diagonal Enlightor-4K acoustically transparent projector screen.
  • JVC is providing a DLA RS67 projector.

A logo for JRiver's website can be downloaded here:  https://www.audiofest.net/exhibiting/logos-banners/

If you want to hear and see what a world class home theater looks and sounds like using JRiver Media Center, stop by room 2016.

Edit by JimH:

Hours:  Fri: 12-7, Sat: 9-6, Sun: 9-4

Location:  Denver Marriott Tech Center,  4900 S Syracuse St,  Denver, CO 80237, tel (303) 779-1100

mojave

• MC Beta Team
Re: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:35:50 pm »

Here is a picture of last year's room setup:

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:51:15 pm »

Is there a post somewhere detailing the audio setup?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:48:48 am »

Is there a post somewhere detailing the audio setup?
Do you want to know last year's or this year's setup? What specific details are you looking for?

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:52 am »

Mainly how you're going out from the PC through the 1248 and amps I guess. Looking at doing a new house next year and wanted to do multiple zones and your posts on the 1248 seemed interesting.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:42 pm »

With Windows OS, the only way to currently connect to the MOTU AVB audio devices is with USB. So, I'm connected with USB to the 1248. The MOTU 1248 is connected to three monoblock amps and a stereo amp with balanced TRS to XLR cables.

One thing I will probably do is set the trims for all channels down a few dB on the MOTU mixer. Then I can use a phone or tablet to control the MOTU mixer. This will let us make on the fly adjustments to the bass levels. Unfortunately, none of the JRiver apps like JRemote let one control volume on individual channels.

When doing multiple zones, you need to remember that the audio device can only handle one sample rate at a time. For this reason, it is best to resample everything in JRiver to one rate like 96 kHz. You also need to set Windows audio to 96 kHz if using the MOTU as the default audio device.

In JRiver you can use ASIO output and use the ASIO offset to route various zones to different outputs. One really nice thing about the MOTU is that you can even use the same outputs with with several instances without having to stop playback. For example, if you are listening to music in JRiver on outputs 1 & 2, you can pause JRiver and open YouTube in a browser and start playback through the same outputs. All other devices require that the music be stopped in JRiver for the output to be available for other instances.

Since all the zones are always in perfect sync, you can link/unlink zones with an app and everything stays in sync and works perfectly.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »

When doing multiple zones, you need to remember that the audio device can only handle one sample rate at a time. For this reason, it is best to resample everything in JRiver to one rate like 96 kHz. You also need to set Windows audio to 96 kHz if using the MOTU as the default audio device.

That might be an issue. :( Would it be possible to output from the PC to multiple inputs on the 1248 to get around that? Or I guess I could bitstream video to a AVR for the main viewing room and then output listening audio to the 1248 for the house. Looks like the vast majority of my audio is 44100 Hz while the video jumps around a lot.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:13 pm »

That might be an issue. :( Would it be possible to output from the PC to multiple inputs on the 1248 to get around that? Or I guess I could bitstream video to a AVR for the main viewing room and then output listening audio to the 1248 for the house. Looks like the vast majority of my audio is 44100 Hz while the video jumps around a lot.
There is only one master clock in the 1248 so all outputs have to use the same sample rate. It really isn't that much of an issue. Just resample to whatever in your collection has the highest sample rate. It won't be audible.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:10 pm »

Hurm, can that be done on the fly at playback time easily? I'd prefer not to alter the media itself.

dallasjustice

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »

See you there Michael.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:05:03 am »

Hurm, can that be done on the fly at playback time easily? I'd prefer not to alter the media itself.
Yes, you set the sample rate in DSP Studio > Output Format.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

Okay, thanks!

JookieCola

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:00 am »

I live about 1/2 hour away from this and already have my tickets.  Very much looking forward to meeting you guys!  ;D

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:00 pm »

I'll see you guys there.

I and Jeff from JTR are bringing about 35 concert Blu-rays. These will be ripped to a Thunderbolt drive array, but we will also have the actual copies on hand and in a display that I might get around to making.

Code: [Select]
Metallica – Through the Never
Elton John – The Million Dollar Piano
Eagles – Farewell I Tour Live From Melbourne
A John Williams Celebration
Legends – Live at Montreux (Eric Clapton & others)
Dream Theater – Live at Budokan
Norah Jones
Blue Man Group
25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Nine Inch Nails - Beside you in Time
Legends of Jazz
Dave Matthews - Live at Radio City
Eric Clapton – Crossroads
Cream – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Chris Botti in Boston
Jethro Tull – Live at Montreux
Scorpions Unplugged
Michael Jackson – This is It
Saint-Saëns – Symphony No. 3 'Organ Symphony', Danse Macabre, Cyprès et Lauriers
Within Temptation Black Symphony
Enrique Iglesias – Bailando from Atmos Demo Blu-ray
Mahler Symphonies 1-7 conducted by Claudio Abbado
Adele – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5/Korsakov: Scheherazade conducted by Andris Nelsons
Led Zeppelin – The Song Remains The Same
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music (40th Anniversary Edition)
Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways
Foo Fighters - Live At Wembley Stadium
Kings of Leon Live At The O2 London,England
Jeff Beck: Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scott's
AC/DC: Live At Donington
B.B. King: The Life of Riley
It Might Get Loud
The Beatles – Yellow Submarine
Joe Bonamassa – An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House

Almost all Blu-ray concerts are interlaced (1080i) and it required me to do a Custom Video Mode to get them to play smoothly with madVR. I manually installed LAV Filters (written by JRiver's Hendrik). I selected Custom as the Video Mode and then Red October HQ. I added a Video Decoder rule to use LAV Filters for all files. I could also choose to just use it on files with a Media Subtype of Concert, but so far I have it set for all files. In the LAV Filter properties I selected NVIDIA CUVID as the hardware decoder to use and then enabled Hardware/GPU deinterlacing.

Now the concerts have perfect deinterlacing and I can use much higher settings with madVR without dropped frames.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 10:23:10 am »

I had a custom stand made for the projector. It is 7' high and fabricated from scrap aluminum extrusions used for commercial storefronts and has Mapes Architectural Panels for the shelf and bottom cover. There is an opening at the top of the right leg so cables can be hidden inside and ran down to the bottom.

Here is my "Vintage British Rack" I had made for last years RMAF and use in my home. It has a MOTU 1248 at the top, a Torus RM2.5 Isolation Transformer, and my HTPC in a Silverstone Tek GD07B.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 10:51:27 am »

We are showing a movie in room 2016 on Friday and Saturday evening starting at about 7:45. Food and drinks will be provided. Let me know if you would like to attend since seating is limited. Saturday is basically full already, but let me know if you are interested in this night anyway.

Juniorjbl

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:21 pm »

Awesome!!

Looking forward to your presentation!! I should be in around noon-1pm Saturday!!

Thanks for the info!!

Shane

dallasjustice

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 07:05:25 am »

Michael,
It was great to meet you. The room was an awesome experience. Thank you for all your hard work putting it together.

Michael.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 07:25:59 am »

Michael,
It was great to meet you. The room was an awesome experience. Thank you for all your hard work putting it together.

Michael.
I agree whole heartedly.  Mojave's work was inspiring and the speakers were wonderful.  It was an incredible experience for Matt and I to see JRiver Media Center powering such a great demo.  Thanks, Mojave!

Juniorjbl

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:27 am »

I was impressed for sure!! Thanks again Mojave!!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up