INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move and Copy Tool - Act on Local Folder?  (Read 8824 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Rename, Move and Copy Tool - Act on Local Folder?
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:26 am »

Quite frequently I need to create a valid folder structure for a given folder using MC Explorer. I usually rely on RM&C to handle this but yesterday I was hit with a non-obvious shortcoming of this excellent tool.

I was reorganizing some files on one of my archive drives - to match the same folder structure that is present on our server - but when I went to these local folders via MC Explorer using RM&C - I found I could not simply make my structure "in place". That is - I wanted to use one of my standard rename templates on the files at a location and rename them AT that location. My only recourse was to use the cumbersome Browse button to set the folder to the folder I am already in - which is kinda of a pain.

Am I missing something obvious here - or is RM&C designed to only RM or copy things to "other" places - and not designed to do it's thing in the folder you are already in?

Appreciate some learning :)

VP

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Rename, Move and Copy Tool - Act on Local Folder?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:01 am »

You are correct...I find some of the time you can use find/replace to do it, or depending on the rename situation some cleverness in the directory rules

If not, the way I do it is to do the full RMC into a temp folder then use either explorer or RMC to mass copy all of them back where I want

It's a bit of a thing, but it's never bothered me enough to care much although a few tweaks to RMC would be welcome for sure (moving all the files in the folder could be optimized a bit...)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:19:23 am »

I'm not sure I understand.  Can you provide specific examples, including real filenames, of what you're trying to accomplish?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »

I'm not sure I understand.  Can you provide specific examples, including real filenames, of what you're trying to accomplish?

Glynor,

Sure thing. Here we go...

So I fire up MC and I have three tabs across the Top - Audio, Stage (for tagging) and Explorer (for rovering around the drives). I click on my Explorer tab and in the tree on the left - I navigate to say - my archive drive which is E:\ . And on this drive I want to change a folder structure for one of my Led Zeppelin Deluxe editions. So I browse (via the tree) to the L folder and finally to the Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe Edition) folder.

Currently this album has all 17 tracks listed as one  big group. But I want the album to be listed as:

E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\Disc 1
E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\Disc 2

With each "disc" folder having the actual tracks that go with the disc.

But when I hit F6 (RM&C) - hoping to quickly apply my uber cool "Recast Folder Structure with Disc Number" preset to THIS folder of stuff that I am displaying via Explorer - there is no way to have RM&C actually do this task on these files (of the folder I am sitting on).

I have use the Browse button to "point" the RM&C tool right back to the folder I already am in - to perform an "in place" folder structure reorg.

Feature Request - I would like to be able to apply ANY RM&C preset "in place" - to the actual file/folder location being displayed on screen via Explorer. Actually - I would take this a step further and make this behavior the default - and only change destination location when any preset is selected OR when the Browse button is manually pressed and a specific target location is selected.

Make sense?

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:50:56 pm »

That's not enough info for me to understand where you're having trouble. It is unclear how you are selecting files, and what you are trying to do with them.  To apply changes to files, you select them. MC does not operate on "folders" anywhere, only on files.

Please provide examples of:
* The exact, full, filename paths of existing files you want to change
* The exact, full, filename paths you want them to change into

To apply the change you described, you'd simply select the files in question, and use something like this as your Directories Template in RMCF:
Base Path: E:\
Rule: [Artist Letters]\[Artist]\[Album]\if(isempty([Disc #],1),,Disc [Disc #])

To make that "L" folder work, you would need to create a custom [Artist Letters] calculated field, as is described here (also included in the above-linked Wiki article):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92425.msg636370#msg636370

So... I'm not sure what you're looking for. It can't use the current directory as the base path (there is no "current" directory in MC, but even if you ignore that), as that would add layers of subfolders on top of what is already there.  How would it know what part of the current directory structure is supposed to "stay" and what part it supposed to change?  So, I'm confused by the question.

The whole idea of Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool is that you're able to select huge swaths of files from a variety of locations and apply a template to them all, not directory-by-directory.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:06 pm »

That's not enough info for me to understand where you're having trouble. It is unclear how you are selecting files, and what you are trying to do with them.  To apply changes to files, you select them. MC does not operate on "folders" anywhere, only on files.

I am selecting "files". My "explorer" view is simply a "panes" view and when I browse to a directory (using the tree on the left) - WITH files - the files appear in the bottom of the view. If I open the tag panel - I can see the tag data for the files. (if tagged).

It can't use the current directory as the base path (there is no "current" directory in MC, but even if you ignore that), as that would add layers of subfolders on top of what is already there.

Yet the Tree Explorer knows exactly what base path I am on - since it's displaying the actual files in that path?

Tis probably better to illustrate this with screen caps - will come back to this when I am at the machine.

Cheers!

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:12:45 pm »

To make that "L" folder work, you would need to create a custom [Artist Letters] calculated field, as is described here (also included in the above-linked Wiki article): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92425.msg636370#msg636370

This is awesome. Gonna get this going first....

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »

Yet the Tree Explorer knows exactly what base path I am on - since it's displaying the actual files in that path?

Right, but the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool is designed to work on files in a variety of source locations at the same time. So, if I've selected these files:

Code: [Select]
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\01 Plague.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\02 Kerosene.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\03 Wrath of God.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\04 Affection.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\05 Pale Flesh.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\06 Sad Eyes.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\07 Insulin.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\08 Transgender.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\09 Violent Youth.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\10 Telepath.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\11 Mercenary.m4a
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\12 Child I Will Hurt You.m4a
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\01 - Whole Lotta Love.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\02 - Heartbreaker.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\03 - Communication Breakdown.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\04 - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\05 - What Is and What Should Never.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\06 - Thank You.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\07 - I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\08 - Dazed and Confused.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\09 - Your Time Is Gonna Come.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\10 - Ramble On.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\11 - Travelling Riverside Blues.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\12 - Friends.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\13 - Celebration Day.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\14 - Hey Hey What Can I Do.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\1\15 - White Summer_Black Mountain Si.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\01 - Black Dog.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\02 - Over The Hills And Far Away.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\03 - Immigrant Song.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\04 - The Battle Of Evermore.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\05 - Bron-y-aur Stomp.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\06 - Tangerine.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\07 - Going To California.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\08 - Since I've Been Loving You.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\09 - D'yer Mak'er.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\10 - Gallows Pole.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\11 - Custard Pie.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\12 - Misty Mountain Hop.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\13 - Rock And Roll.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\14 - The Rain Song.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\2\15 - Stairway To Heaven.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\01 - Kashmir.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\02 - Trampled Under Foot.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\03 - For Your Life.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\04 - No Quarter.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\05 - Dancing Days.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\06 - When The Levee Breaks.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\07 - Achilles Last Stand.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\08 - The Song Remains The Same.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\09 - Ten Years Gone.mp3
M:\Audio\Music\L\Led Zeppelin\Boxed Set\3\10 - In My Time Of Dying.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\01 - Every Single Night.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\02 - Daredevil.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\03 - Valentine.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\04 - Jonathan.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\05 - Left Alone.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\06 - Werewolf.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\07 - Periphery.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\08 - Regret.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\09 - Anything We Want.mp3
M:\Incoming\Fiona Apple\The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do\10 - Hot Knife.mp3

All at the same time, what would serve as the base directory then? They're not even all on the same drive, much less in the same root directories.

If you're selecting individual folders and applying changes to just a handful of files within them, one at a time, you're really using it wrong. The whole idea is that you can select your entire music Library (or everything that you want in "one place"), including files that are already in the right place, and apply a template to everything at once. It skips the stuff that doesn't need to be moved, and only moves or renames the stuff that does need to be moved.

So, you wouldn't select just one folder for one Led Zeppelin album, you'd select ALL of the albums that have multiple discs and don't have the right folders (or, ignore it, and just select everything) and apply a template to ALL of them at once.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »

Right, but the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool is designed to work on files in a variety of source locations at the same time. So, if I've selected these files: All at the same time, what would serve as the base directory then?

You and I must be miles apart on how we select things.

I think I first need to understand exactly how it is that you "selected" that huge list of files. I have no idea how to use RM&C across files in multiple locations? (Like U:\Users and M:\Audio\Music etc .

I am clearly missing something here on "file selection".

Over here - EVERYTHING is already in a folder. There is no concept of plowing into 100's of files in multiple locations and making hay with them. That RM&C "can" do that - is of little consequence to me since I simply do not use it that way.

All I ever do is use MC (Explorer) to browse into existing folders - that already contain relevant existing files - and then use RM&C to get them cleaned up into my standard folder arrangements. (in place rename/reorg)

All I want to be able to do with RM&C is have it act on the current folder I am in and allow me to do my thing.

Jeez - when I have 12 files on screen in the list view and hit F6 - RM&C opens to the exact spot of the files in question - so you cannot tell me the tool doesn't know what the current path is or where the tool is "reading" it's data from.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 04:28:22 pm »

For the record, though, if you do want to just add a directory to the existing "in place" folder, you can. You use the Filename Template to do it, and not the Directory Template. This is still not a very efficient way to work, but if you need to in a particular case, you can.

Select the files, and open up RMCF.  Uncheck the Directories Template (which will then use the existing directory structure as the base) and put your directories you want created in the Filename Template, like thus:

Rule: if(isempty([Disc #],1),,Disc [Disc #])\<Your Regular File Naming System Goes Here>

If you just want to add a folder, and even pass through the existing filenames, then do:
Rule: if(isempty([Disc #],1),,Disc [Disc #])\[Filename (Name)]

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »

Select the files, and open up RMCF.  Uncheck the Directories Template (which will then use the existing directory structure as the base) and put your directories you want created in the Filename Template, like thus:

Rule: if(isempty([Disc #],1),,Disc [Disc #])\<Your Regular File Naming System Goes Here>

See - now we may be getting somewhere! I was unchecking "directories" and everything would grey out - including the all important "folder" structure. So maybe I do have to inject my "folder structure" into the "file name" area....

Getting closer :)

Would like it better if there was a checkbox "Apply to Current Location" or similar - without greying out the Directory rules etc.

VP

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »

How much quicker would that be if you listed all of your audio, and then filtered it down to all files that have the [disc #] tag populated, but do not have "Disc " in their filename path, then selected all of those files and fixed them all in one single pass of the rename tool?

For those that you trip over in one of your forays into MC's internal explorer, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with the rename tool. I would simply select them all, and open the tag window.
There, I would make sure that "Filename (Path)" was showing, and edit it right there by adding the \[Disc #]\ part into the path where I wanted it, and pressing enter, which would get the job done immediately.

I'm not suggesting that what you are doing is wrong, but can't help feeling that it is maybe not the most efficient workflow you could use, so offer some other ideas that might be worth trying.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »

As Marko and I said, doing it your way isn't very efficient.

However, it works fine to use the Filename Template to make directories. I think what is tripping you up is that you're thinking of directories as a thing. As in, a "folder" in which you put files (and other folders). That's the metaphor we use to think of how we browse the filesystem, but that's not actually what is happening.  All there is is the filename.  Parts of the filename that are separated by slashes are "directories".*  The last part after the last slash, is what you're thinking of as the filename, but actually, as far as the computer is concerned (and MC) the filename is:
U:\Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\01 Plague.m4a

The "01 Plague.m4a" part is only a portion of the filename. The "Users\glynor\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Crystal Castles\III\" part of it is also just a portion of the filename.

So, all you have to do is put the new directory names you want to add to the existing path in the Filename Template, as I said above.  Just select your Led Zeppelin example and open RMCF and paste in exactly what I said to do above, and you'll see what I mean in the Preview.  The slash in what I said above, turns that part of it into the a "directory".

There is no such thing as a "directory" as far as MC is concerned.  Just filenames, which it can "show you" as a set of folders, by breaking the filename apart at the slashes.

* It is slightly more complex than this because directories are indexed in the filesystem, but that's not relevant to how MC works and how RMCF works, and isn't important here.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »

How much quicker would that be if you listed all of your audio, and then filtered it down to all files that have the [disc #] tag populated, but do not have "Disc " in their filename path, then selected all of those files and fixed them all in one single pass of the rename tool?

What exactly do you mean by "listed all your audio"? How? Where?

For those that you trip over in one of your forays into MC's internal explorer, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with the rename tool. I would simply select them all, and open the tag window.

This is very confusing to me - when you say "Select them all" - what "all" are you talking about. And what/where/how are you using MC to "see" them "all". Finally - where - in Windows speak - do "all" these files reside?

As far as my usage is concerned - all I know is MC Explorer. And of course my "tag" view - that lists all the files - that are inside "folders" in my Tag directory. Still - even tho I see 144 files in this view - all 144 are sitting in 12 unique folders for each album.

So - first - help me understand exactly how you are "selecting them all" and where/how you do this in MC. Clearly my "selection" process is doing a 180 on your methods.

VP

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:43 am »

Try and read all of this before actually doing anything, as I think the end might be more useful to you than the beginning. I'll answer your first question first, but am not entirely sure it's what you're looking for at this time. It also assumes that all of your audio is actually imported into your MC library, and is correctly tagged.

What exactly do you mean by "listed all your audio"? How? Where?
Truthfully, just about anywhere you feel most comfortable with. There are many ways to list all of your audio. For example, any of the views under "Audio" should list all of the audio files in your library.
A really quick way to get a raw list of all audio in the library is to press F9. This will create and display, a new smartlist, with the default to "[Media Type]=[Audio]" already set. It will also automatically show the rule editor for that smartlist. you can add to that initial audio only rule, or change it, or accept it and press OK. Using your [disc #] case as an example... click on the "Add Rule" button and set the second rule to: "Disc # is not <empty>" then press OK.

All of the files you now see in this list have a disc number tag set. An assumption is being made here that all files listed will be on drive "E:\" If that is not the case, you would add a third rule, specifying that "[Filename (Path)] contains E:"
Select all files listed. (Select one, then press Ctrl+a)
Press F6 for the rename tool.
Set "Base Path" to E:\
Set "Directory Rule" to: "=removeleft([filename (path)],3)\Disc [disc #]" (without the quotes)
Uncheck the filename rule.

That's it. have a look at the "before" and "After" columns on the right. All those that are correct already will show "No change". If you're happy, press OK and MC will fix them all at once for you. Only immediately after that, in case you changed your mind or forgot something, Ctrl+z will undo any changes made allowing you to start over.

This is very confusing to me - when you say "Select them all" - what "all" are you talking about. And what/where/how are you using MC to "see" them "all". Finally - where - in Windows speak - do "all" these files reside?

As far as my usage is concerned - all I know is MC Explorer. And of course my "tag" view - that lists all the files - that are inside "folders" in my Tag directory. Still - even tho I see 144 files in this view - all 144 are sitting in 12 unique folders for each album.

So - first - help me understand exactly how you are "selecting them all" and where/how you do this in MC. Clearly my "selection" process is doing a 180 on your methods.

VP
This is what made me think that perhaps the wholesale approach listed above might not be right because I do not know what your "tag" view is, you like the explorer area of MC, and you are asking for Windows speak. I also think to myself, you must have more than 144 tracks in your library, so this "tag" view is possibly limiting the files listed to a specific set of files, or files in a specific location, that you wish to work on? Do not misunderstand me here, there is nothing wrong with any of that at all, but it makes me wary, and super careful when offering advice as I would not like to be instrumental in messing up your digital audio life while trying to help you by offering advice based on misunderstanding.

You say:
Still - even tho I see 144 files in this view - all 144 are sitting in 12 unique folders for each album.
If I am understanding correctly, and these are all on the same drive, and tagged correctly, then those are the files that you want. You don't need the "All Audio" list. Filter this "tag" list to show only files that have [disc #] populated by typing -[disc #]=[] into the search bar in the top right, select all files in the list, press F6 and run the tool as shown in the image above. Again, if I have understood correctly, you should now not need to drill into the MC explorer area?

We were talking about being in the MC explorer area, yes? So, when you arrive at a given folder, for your own example, "E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\", you see 17 files. Those are the "all" I was referring to. As for the "what/where/how", I was trying to understand your workflow, so had taken a trip into the MC explorer area of the tree with you. You have me a little worried now. When you say "MC Explorer", you do mean in the left tree, near the bottom, "Drives & Devices > Explorer" right?

Assuming the answer to that is "Yes", and you still prefer to work that way, consider this, again, making the assumption that the files are already tagged correctly:

After drilling through explorer to get to the folder you want, using the Led Zeppelin example again, E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\, you have 17 correctly tagged files, in the same location on your hard drive, and you want to reorganise those files into separate disc # sub-folders. Select them all (the 17 Led Zeppelin files you see listed) and open the tag window. You can find that in the lower left corner of the program, in the action window, simply called tag. Click on that to open it.
Do you see the field "Filename (Path)"?
If not, right click anywhere inside the tag window, and follow the "Also show..." menu to add the "Filename (Path)" field to the list of tags.
You will see that with 17 files selected on the right, all in the same Windows location, that this field displays E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\
Any changes you make to this field will be applied to all 17 selected files. All you need to do is click to edit, and add an =at the very start of the path, and add "Disc [disc #]\" to the end of the path, so it looks like so:
=E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\Disc [disc #]\
and press enter. The 17 files will be moved to their new directories on your hard drive, and MC will keep it's database up-to-date with those changes. This approach could be a lot quicker for you than the RMC tool if you prefer to keep with your current MC Explorer workflow. The "=" at the start is important as it is what tells MC to convert [disc #] using the values from its library. Without it, MC would literally create a folder called "disc #".

The three screen shots attached should help illustrate what I mean from the above, though note that although I have shown this from a location within the explorer, this method will work regardless of where you locate, and select, the files within the Media Center program.

Is that any better for you?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:56 am »

You have me a little worried now. When you say "MC Explorer", you do mean in the left tree, near the bottom, "Drives & Devices > Explorer" right?

Bang on.

Assuming the answer to that is "Yes", and you still prefer to work that way, consider this, again, making the assumption that the files are already tagged correctly: 

After drilling through explorer to get to the folder you want, using the Led Zeppelin example again, E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\, you have 17 correctly tagged files, in the same location on your hard drive, and you want to reorganise those files into separate disc # sub-folders. Select them all (the 17 Led Zeppelin files you see listed) and open the tag window. You can find that in the lower left corner of the program, in the action window, simply called tag. Click on that to open it. Do you see the field "Filename (Path)"? If not, right click anywhere inside the tag window, and follow the "Also show..." menu to add the "Filename (Path)" field to the list of tags.

So far so good.

You will see that with 17 files selected on the right, all in the same Windows location, that this field displays E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\

Any changes you make to this field will be applied to all 17 selected files. All you need to do is click to edit, and add an =at the very start of the path, and add "Disc [disc #]\" to the end of the path, so it looks like so:

=E:\L\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)\Disc [disc #]\

and press enter. The 17 files will be moved to their new directories on your hard drive, and MC will keep it's database up-to-date with those changes. This approach could be a lot quicker for you than the RMC tool if you prefer to keep with your current MC Explorer workflow. The "=" at the start is important as it is what tells MC to convert [disc #] using the values from its library. Without it, MC would literally create a folder called "disc #".

Perfect!

I was completely unaware that I could monkey around with the "Filepath" field from within the Tag Window. This will be a new tool in the tool box for sure.

And to cut the confusion for you guys - please note that this entire thread is based around the fact that NOTHING I am trying to change is actually in the library - yet. Every file in this current project is sitting on another drive or another spot - all of them in various states of "folderitis". So I wanted to first try to use the power of RM&C to get these guys ship shape - OUTSIDE of any library - before moving them into the library.

But using the Filename (Path) field and editing it directly - should work perfectly.

Still - after all of this - I am hoping you guys can see that it still would be nice to be able to to use RM&C - directly on the selected folder (when using MC Explorer) to work on files not yet in the library.

That is what I thought the tool was designed for - to hit files inside OR outside the library and be able to utilize the power of it's renaming templates to make the job easy.

Thanks again for all the explanation - I think have learned yet even more about MC.

Cheers!

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:26 am »

Still - after all of this - I am hoping you guys can see that it still would be nice to be able to to use RM&C - directly on the selected folder

And, as I've said (now three times), it can do this:

For the record, though, if you do want to just add a directory to the existing "in place" folder, you can. You use the Filename Template to do it, and not the Directory Template. This is still not a very efficient way to work, but if you need to in a particular case, you can.

If you just want to add a folder, and even pass through the existing filenames, then do:
Rule: if(isempty([Disc #],1),,Disc [Disc #])\[Filename (Name)]

So, I'm not sure what the issue is. Have you tried this?

That is what I thought the tool was designed for - to hit files inside OR outside the library and be able to utilize the power of it's renaming templates to make the job easy.

No. It is not. It can do some limited things for non-imported files, but it absolutely is designed to work with imported files.

In general, it is this core assumption that is leading you astray. MC is not designed to work on anything not in the Library. The Library is how it knows about files, and generally, it provides only very limited tools to work with files outside the Library. This is a conscious design, because the central assumption is that it shouldn't mess with things it doesn't have "permission" to mess with, and it only has "permission" to touch the files that have been imported.

Generally, the reason you want to do this:

So I wanted to first try to use the power of RM&C to get these guys ship shape - OUTSIDE of any library - before moving them into the library.

That is faulty reasoning, probably because you don't understand some of the things MC can do. To be perfectly clear:

The best methodology for dealing with new files is to import everything and deal with them after they are in your Library. That gives you full access to all of the organizational power that MC offers (which is substantial). Doing it "backwards" forces you to essentially work with handcuffs on.

The reason some users, almost certainly like yourself, want to do it the other way is simple: You don't want files you haven't "tamed to your will" to show up in your "lists" (the set of files you use inside MC for "consumption") and "pollute" everything.  That is a perfectly reasonable desire, and one I completely and utterly share with you. Most power users here would agree, but most power users here also import everything first and then deal with them afterwards.

The issue here is, to some degree, an issue of naming. MC uses a "Library" but that really just means "database". It is separate from, conceptually, your "media library" (big L versus little l is often the way I like to describe it).  MC knows about and can use the files in your Library, but these don't have to be part of your media library that you browse when looking for some music to play.

How?  Because MC doesn't have to show you everything in your Library under Audio in the Tree, that's why. It does show you all of the imported audio files there by default, but you can very easily change this.

The best way to do this is reasonably simple:

1. Make a new custom Field in MC called something like [Approved]. Make it a Check Edit Type field, and give it acceptable values of only 0 and 1.  After you make this field, select ALL of the files in your Library currently, and set this value to 1.

2. Add a new Top-Level View to MC called "Imports" (or "Advanced" or whatever) which acts separately from the regular Audio, Video, and Images views of your Library. Within this view, make or copy over some views you'll use to deal with these newly imported files.

To do this, simply:
* Select Playing Now (or something other than Audio, Video, or Images) in the Tree.
* Go to View > Add View > Add Library View.  Give it the name Imports, and set it up in Panes view, and add some categories that will help you tag your files. Probably the most important category to add is Location, so that you can browse the files on disk by directory structure.
* On the right hand side of the dialog, under Included Files, open up the Set Rules for File Display search editor.  Add a new rule that says:
[Approved] is 0
* In the future, you will probably find it useful to make additional views underneath of this, so that you can filter the "all files" version of your Library in different ways, but for now you can start with just this one.

3. Select Audio in the Tree and right-click and choose Customize View. On the right hand side of the dialog, under Included Files, open up the Set Rules for File Display search editor.  Add a new rule that says:
[Approved] is 1

4. Assuming you use these features, repeat Step 3 for the Images top-level View, the Video top level View, and the top level Views in:
Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize Views...
Tools > Options > Theater View

Once you've done this, all newly imported files will ONLY show up in that Imports view we made in Step 2. All new files imported will automatically "come in" with [Approved] set to zero, so they'll show in that list. Since you're filtering those out of all the other views, they will NOT show in Audio, Images, or Video (or anywhere else) until you've set that [Approved] "flag" to 1.

That way, you can import the files, let MC manage them and allow yourself full access to all of MC's file management prowess, but you don't have to "pollute" your "media library" (the stuff you use).

As I said above, RMCF will work on files the way you want. You just have to put the directories you want added to the current directory in the Filename Template instead of in the Directories Template.  That's because the Directories Template always works from the "far left hand side" of the full filename path.  The Filename Template works from the left hand side of the file's name (after the last slash in the full filename).

If you want to add folders, without changing the existing folder structure for files on disk, then you do it in the Filename Template, and make sure the Directories Template is unchecked.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:58 am »

The reason some users, almost certainly like yourself, want to do it the other way is simple: You don't want files you haven't "tamed to your will" to show up in your "lists" (the set of files you use inside MC for "consumption") and "pollute" everything.  That is a perfectly reasonable desire, and one I completely and utterly share with you. Most power users here would agree, but most power users here also import everything first and then deal with them afterwards.

Glynor,

I get it. I really do. But there is no need to type a 2000 word "defense" of MC. I didn't ask for opinions and workflow policies. You have you way of working and I have mine.

All I really wanted to know is why the RM&C tool did not work at the local folder level (via the MC Explorer tree) and after many lines of text - I got the answer and I thank you.

To close this - in this specific case - I did not want to move or change anything - except the folder structure on this E:\ drive. These files are part of a master backup archive and were never intended to be used (nor imported) into MC.

Clearly - my assumption about using RM&C (from the MC Explorer tree area) was not possible.

In the future - I will turn to something like Tag N Rename instead - which will allow me to move/restructure things at will.

Thanks again for time.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

I'm not writing a defense, I was trying to help you be more effective.

But, for the fourth and final time: It is possible to do exactly what you want with the RMCF tool as is.

Stop saying it isn't, because it is. I tested it to make sure I wasn't crazy, and I actually use it sometimes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 12:10:26 pm »

Vocalpoint,
I'm closing this now.  Please re-read what glynor has written.

glynor,
Thanks for all the effort.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »

I added details about this to the Directories Template and Filename Template articles on the Wiki, in case people have the same question in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up