ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Dialing Out Using MT2834ZDX on Win2K  (Read 2307 times)

pai235

• Place Personal Text Here
Dialing Out Using MT2834ZDX on Win2K
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:11:36 pm »

We have a copy of Version 3.0.11 we received to ship to one of our clients. We are unfamiliar with the software & knew the client would have issues.

We decided to load it temporarily on a system here & set it up & then create screened Documentation so there was no way for the client to have problems.

The reason for this is the client is in TN & we are in GA. and having it really simple for them is preferred.
Regardless, I installed it & tried to get the software setup to dial out on COM2 which has an external Multitech 2834ZDX modem. I know the port works & the modem because we use it with PCAW to dial into some systems.

I followed all the instructions & really there isn't to much to it. When I tried to dial my office from the modem it said it couldn't find the modem. What is wrong here. I just want to get it setup right & then do screen captures to a Word Doc for the client rather than trying to walk them through it over the phone.

Once it is all documented I will remove it from the system I loaded it to for testing purposes.

Respectfully Yours,

Joel

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:00:56 am »

Same modem I use at home, nice clean hardware design. Should work perfectly.
Things to try:

Use 115.2k and 8 bits no parity. Try XON/XOFF protocol to start with.
If XON/XOFF works and RTS/CTS doesn't the modem is not set for Hardware
Flow control OR the modem cable is bad. Most other software doesn't support RTS/CTS flow control but this is the BEST to use if your setup supports it.

Otherwise, check to see if there is an interrupt conflict on the COM2 interrupt. Go to device manager and view "resources by type" and expand the IRQ choice. COM2 should be IRQ3. Look for other stuff on IRQ3. IRQ3 is not REALLY sharable on the PC architecture.

pai235

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:28:34 pm »

I wanted you to know that I have tried what you asked here & it doens't work. Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Modem is external MT2834ZDX connected to COM2 on Win2K system. The modem & COM Port work fine with PCAnywhere dialing into client's systems & using PCUTE a terminal emulation software that we have used for years.

I believe you are the same person who sent me an EMAIL earlier so please look for the ZIP file with the Word Doc that contains screen captures of certain screens that will answer questions you have requested answers to here.

Respectfully Yours,

Joel

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 08:06:42 pm »

Got the screen captures, thanks, it looks clean to me.

Would you please try xon/xoff protocol instead of rtc/ct s and let me know if the behaviour changes?

pai235

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 05:57:59 pm »

Please be aware of the solution to my problem.

1. I can't under any circumstances use DTR/DTS so I am using either XON/XOFF or RTS/CTS & they both work.
2. I set the initialization string to ATZ & send string on Pop Up.
3. I set the modem init string to ATZ also.

After all this was done I was able to highlight the name I setup & click dial & it was able to connect to site & work flawlessly.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 11:25:26 am »

Please be aware of the solution to my problem.
Thanks for posting your results
1. I can't under any circumstances use DTR/DTS so I am using either XON/XOFF or RTS/CTS & they both work.
DTR/DTS is provided only for true Wyse60 terminal compatibility. That is very non-standard (a wyse hack) and needs a special serial cable to implement.

2. I set the initialization string to ATZ & send string on Pop Up.
3. I set the modem init string to ATZ also.
Very interesting. I'm not sure why your modem should require a soft reset (ATZ) to be initialized, that isn't the case with my ZDX.
After all this was done I was able to highlight the name I setup & click dial & it was able to connect to site & work flawlessly.
Good to hear you got it working!

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.