ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICETCP Pro v 5.1.07 ICELP Problems  (Read 2554 times)

pattybteco

• I'm a llama!
ICETCP Pro v 5.1.07 ICELP Problems
« on: December 11, 2003, 12:41:02 pm »

:-\ Our out-of-town office is having a lot of "drops" when telnet and icelp are both running.  If icelp is not running, the number of "drops" isn't nearly as bad.  By "drops" I mean, icetcp just closes (no warning, no error message) and my VPN connection is usually (not always) terminated.  Any idea what's causing this?  Is there another printing method we should use that would be more reliable and less likely to cause these problems?  I'm not overly technical, so keep it simple!  Thanks.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re:ICETCP Pro v 5.1.07 ICELP Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 01:10:58 pm »

:-\ Our out-of-town office is having a lot of "drops" when telnet and icelp are both running.  If icelp is not running, the number of "drops" isn't nearly as bad.  By "drops" I mean, icetcp just closes (no warning, no error message) and my VPN connection is usually (not always) terminated.  Any idea what's causing this?  Is there another printing method we should use that would be more reliable and less likely to cause these problems?  I'm not overly technical, so keep it simple!  Thanks.

It sounds like your VPN is very touchy for some reason. ICELP probes the host for print jobs periodically. You could change that interval so that it doesn't check as often though that will slow your resonse to print jobs.

Since tcp/ip is a "connected mode" protocol, whenever you have a connection and a session is up in TelnetPro or IceLP is running, there is interaction between your machine and the host machine whether you are typing at that very second or not. It usually amounts to a few packets per minute. If your connection drops during the sending of one of those packets, windows will mark the network as down and close any active tcp/ip connections including TelnetPro and IceLP.

Applications that use non-connected mode sockets (UDP), i.e. RealPlayer will NOT close down when the connection drops so that may explain what you are seeing.

Sorry that this may be more technical than you want but it's the only way to explain the situation.

Your options are to:
1) Increase the IceLP polling period.
2) Check the VPN setup and the WAN setup to see if there are possibilities to make it more robust (i.e. increasing timeouts on bringing it down on a temporary loss of connection)
3) Use LPD printing on the client instead of IceLP. Note that this requires that the client have a static (non-changing) IP address.
This could help because LPD isn't polling the host for print jobs, it's driven BY the host when there is a job

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.