ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Permissions under windows xp  (Read 3231 times)

tvonderhaar

• Place Personal Text Here
Permissions under windows xp
« on: May 04, 2004, 08:49:03 am »

I have installed ICE.TCP Plus application under Windows XP Pro and I have run into a problem.  I have installed the program as the domain administrator, but when I try to run the application under a power user account, I receive a Microsoft C++ Runtime error when attempting to run the deja32.exe application.  If I perform a runas with the domain administrator account on the same program icon, it will work correctly, so I guess there is a permissions problem.  Any ideas?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 03:34:50 pm »

Had a long talk with a developer about this and there are a couple of things we'd like you to try and report back on. Running as the user that CANNOT run PLUS check the following:

1) Can you open the ICETCPPLUS.INI file in the \winnt directory (just use notepad)?
2) Can you access the registry entries under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->J.RIVER->ICE.TCP->4.5
there should be license and version info folders under that. The license folder should have 8 le keys and 1 default key.
3) If you can read those both, can you make changes (write) to them?

Waiting on your feedback....

tvonderhaar

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:04:05 am »

Logged in with the account that CANNOT run PLUS, here are the results:

1) Successfully opened ICETCPPLUS.INI file with notepad.  When attempting to save the file, it could not and the following message was returned; "Cannot create the C:\windows\icetcpplus.ini.  Make sure that the path and filename are correct."  For what it is worth, I checked the security settings for this file and is does NOT contain the domain user or group for the logged in account.

2) Basically the same.  I was able to open and verify the items listed above, but could not add a new entry.  When I attempted to add a new string, the following message was returned; "Cannot create value.  Error writing to the registry."

I will wait for more instructions!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 10:42:06 am »

Try adding write permissions for the icetcpplus.ini file for the user that doesn't work and try runnin plus again. Let us know the results please...

tvonderhaar

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 07:11:52 am »

I have added the domain user to the list under security settings for ICETCOPLUS.INI and the problem remains.  To aid in locating the source of this problem, here is the complete message displayed.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\JRiver\icetcpplus demo\deja32.exe
abnormal program termination.

Seeing that the problem is revolving around the deja32.exe application, I added the domain user to all of the files within the program directory above, but the problem remains.

Let me know what to try next...

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 10:05:16 am »

Well, the permissions on the registry entries. Full control for that user.
The only other thing I can think of is related to the libraries the program uses. If you have the depends.exe tool from the dev studio you could run it on the dejawint.exe program (and iceconfig.exe as well) and see if it can access all of the required libraries.

tvonderhaar

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 07:21:22 am »

I found depends.exe and I opened the two files you suggested.  I have to admit that I am unfamilair with depends.exe so I am not sure what to expect if it cannot access all of the required libraries, but I recieved no indication of a problem for either file once open.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:54:19 am »

It should be OK then. Looks like we are going to have to try to duplicate the problem here. If you don't get anything back on this thread this week, post another message. It could be that it should have been setup under the machine administrator, not the domain administrator.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:56:20 am by Bob »

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.