ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Intermittant Program Startup Issue  (Read 3169 times)

NJS

• Place Personal Text Here
Intermittant Program Startup Issue
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:32:19 pm »

Hi,
We have 25 Licenses for ICETCP PLUS, using build 24 Em ver 7.10a/32 Win interface vers 8.5.
We have an intermittant problem that happens around every second day, when we try and run Dejawin where it does nothing but get the hourglass and the program needs to be end tasked, with the error: Deja32.exe is not responding.
It happens on all the PC's on the network with this installed, I have checked the forums and couldn't see anything about this issue.
Can you give any advice?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 11:27:11 am »

That is most likely a temporary DNS failure on your LAN. Try connecting to the IP address instead of the host name.

If you are already using the IP address, from a windows command (dos) prompt, try the following command:

tracert 1.2.3.4

Where you should replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP address of your unix host. It will probably fail when you can't use PLUS indicating a network routing problem.

NJS

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 07:06:47 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply.
We have tried using the IP address instead, but the intermittant problem is still there. Also tried pinging the host name when this occured and it pinged fine.

Can you give any other suggestions?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 09:36:56 am »

When you cannot connect. Kill deja32 using task manager. Try windows telnet (start -> run then type in telnet 1.2.3.4 and hit enter) Replace 1.2.3.4 with the machines IP address. It will help to know if it connects at that point. If it does connect, retry the connection with PLUS. Please report your results.

NJS

Re:Intermittant Program Startup Issue
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 10:20:07 pm »

I have tried this as per your steps, telnet works fine - logged in fine, but then when I close and try dejawin it locks up the same way. Also, Dejawin does the random lockup even when we just have the IP saved to connect to.

Thanks

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:33:16 am »

Hmmm, Haven't heard of anything like this before.... When it "locks" up, do you see the copyright message at the top of the screen?

What terminal type are you using?

How many lines??

NJS

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 11:23:43 pm »

No, all we see is the black window which is blank.
Using 25 lines, terminal type ANSI.

Is there any sort of debugging option I can use to get any sort of error, or see where it stops?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 01:39:12 pm »

No debugging that will help this situation I'm afraid.

In iceconfig for the host you are trying make sure all "auto connect", "auto login" are not checked.

Do you have the host IP address in BOTH the "host identification" and the "host name/ip address" boxes?

"Send initialization string on connect" should be unchecked.

port should be 23.

ssh should NOT be checked.

If it still gives you trouble that only things other that I can think of (and they are remote possibilities) is that there is some other software on the PC that is interfering with PLUS somehow or that there is something odd going on with the host machine.

How do you quit out of PLUS? By using file-> Exit or the upper right corner x box or by logging out of your app?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:47:59 pm by Bob »

NJS

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 07:04:10 pm »

I have tested this problem now with a fresh install and no options changed, and just tried to start the program every day (and not even connect to any host) and it has locked up once. It's the first thing I try every morning before doing anything else. I have also found out this same issue happens with Termlite intermittantly, so it may be a Windows issue. We also use the same image everywhere which would explain why this happens on all the PC's.

But still I am stuck...

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:38:22 am »

You didn't say what windows version you are using but you may want to try removing dialup networking (add/remove programs -> add/remove windows components).

Also you might want to check to see if there is a firewall in operation in your image (2k or XP only). If it is, try disabling it. If you are using 2k or XP PRO it's good to disable all non necessary services, like smtp, etc.

NJS

Re:Intermittant Program Startup Issue
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 06:49:17 pm »

Using WinXP SP1, with no firewall in the OS and no Dialup Networking installed.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 09:23:35 am »

Hmmm, I guess I'm out of ideas then. I agree that it sounds like something is off in your image but past the issues above I don't know what else the problem could be. PLUS does depend on the udp transport working as well as the tcp transport. Microsoft telnet only uses tcp so that may be a clue but if this is the problem, I have no idea why your udp transport might not be working right.

ivh

Re: Intermittant Program Startup Issue
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »

We are also using DejaVu TCP PLUS for Windows (100 users), Build 25, Emulation Version 7.10a/32, Interface Version 8.5 on Windows XP with SP2 and have noticed that our users are users are reporting this problem with increasing frequency.

It appears to be related to the number of applications loaded.  If a user logs in and then fires up Ice.tcp, they can connect.  If they login, fire up Outlook, load Excel with a couple of large spreadsheets and then go on to do other things, they more frequently experience this problem.  This could also explain why there appears to be an increase in frequency again with the migration to Office 2007.

I am replying to an old post from 2004 and would be interested to know if this problem has been resolved in more recent releases.

Regards,

ivh

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Intermittant Program Startup Issue
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 10:15:04 am »

You are running an older version. The current version has eliminated the use of MFC42.dll (which is sometimes improperly replaced by third party software). You could try the demo version and see if you get any better behavior.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.