ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: TCP-PRO executes but does not appear  (Read 1737 times)

pbrown

• Place Personal Text Here
TCP-PRO executes but does not appear
« on: August 27, 2004, 10:58:07 am »

Version 5.1.21

On double-click of a Telnet Pro desktop icon, the arrow changes to an hourglass for a couple of seconds and then returns to the arrow. I wait and wait and Telnet Pro does not appear and when it does, we are sometimes talking a couple of minutes!

I check using CTRL+ALT+DEL and Task manager and see that "TelnetPro.exe" is listed under the Processes Tab.

So it appears it is running but does not appear?  - Very odd.

[I installed SP2 on this one machine (today) to test it before distributing it to others. The Firewall literature suggest it stops incoming connections (not outgoing), though I have added Telnet Pro as an excluded application, added the Telnet Port and played with scope settings without success as now Telnet Pro is not appearing, at all.]

Please note: This was happening BEFORE I installed SP2 and the only work around (didn't happen all the time) was to shut down and restart. So the connection would start straight away some times and other times - the above symptoms.

I may have compounded the problem by installing SP2 but I will need to know the solution with SP2 installed. Currently I can't work from this machine.

N.B. While writing this (distracted with other things) Telnet Pro is still under Processes without bringing up a window. [ 5 - 10 mins ]

Thank you,
Peter

P.S. I have submitted one other topic which was related to storing (or lack of) of passwords (to give some history). I have the Server Admin on this machine and both are current at 5.1.21.

pbrown

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 11:02:41 am »

Adding to the post.

The host I am connecting to resides within our network. We don't use DHCP.

Thank you.
Peter

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 01:22:49 pm »

I cannot duplicate your problem here. I have XP SP2 and with pro 5.1.21 it works perfectly (after saying yes to the first unblock prompt that comes up). I can only assume that it has something to do with your Windows install or some accessory program you have installed.

There isn't a lot I can suggest other than doing the usual checks for viruses, bad stuff in the systray, hard drive scan and so forth.

The interaction between PRO and the Windows OS is very straightforward, this is why it works on every version of Windows. The fact is there is a lot of stuff people load into their Windows machines that are not that well behaved and can easily affect the running of other programs.

You could try classic (4.4) to see if that get's anywhere. It has an even simpler interface to the OS (Doesn't use active X).

pbrown

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 08:42:19 am »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Your report that your system is just fine with SP2 helped.

Steps I tried:
1. Removed (after checking for viruses) my anti-virus and tried again - no change.
2. Removed all services so that I only had twelve critical processes running in the background - no change.
3. Re-installed TelnetPro - no change.

I have yet to try the earlier version. How do I go about getting the classic version? None of the current versions are 4.4?

The problem I can't answer is that I will execute the Telnet icon and will see it in the processes tab (CTRL + ALT + DEL) and it will sit there and sit there (it will run for an hour or more - until I kill it) and generate no error report, nothing.  

Combine this with the fact that sometimes it DOES start-up (having made no change to my settings) - why? - sometimes it does and other times it doesn't.  [I also got the (first time) the Firewall blocker pop message and set it as allowed].

I believe it is related to TelnetPro finding the host machine - sometimes quickly and other times never as why does the application appear sometimes? Any suggestions in this direction?

Thank you,
Peter

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 11:23:18 am »

You can select the 4.4 version during the install process from the CD. When you do the user install it pops up a box that has two choices, 5,1 or classic 4.4.

Could be a DNS issue. Have you tried just using the target machines ip address instead of it's name??
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:06:43 pm by Bob »

pbrown

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 10:54:33 am »

Thank you for the feedback.

I tried the Classic version 4.4 - connected to the host machine (after the firewall popped up a message) just fine. I used ssh without problem.

I tried to enter the "Configuration Menu" Option as I didn't like the default colours and it ended up opening nothing and "Not Responding". So I can connect, DNS is good, ssh is working. Decided to try 5.1 again.

Uninstalled 4.4 and reinstalled 5.1 - no change. DNS has been checked and am not having any problems there. My shortcuts always had the IP address.

Just trying to start the TelnetPro (no connection - just the program) fails. I check the Error logs on XP - nothing.

I have already tested with my antivirus off - no change. I opened port 22 (ssh) on the firewall configuration without change.

If I can't even have the TelnetPro application appear (no connection), it is not a DNS issue or a ssh issue.

It acts like it is a background process!

All the other options that come with it - File Transfer, Network Toolbox, Printing (again with some firewall message pops up) work fine. It is just TelnetPro.

Windows Task Manager shows TelnetPro.exe User Name - blank CP 00 Mem Usage 3,424 K

Thank you,
pbrown

pbrown

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 01:38:40 pm »

Hello again,

More testing has revealled an interesting quirk.

If I execute TelnetPro (it opens in the background as before) and change the nic speed from "Auto Detect" to "100 full mode" - a couple of seconds after doing this - up comes the TelnetPro. I can create one more instance of TelnetPro before it goes back into the background. It works either way...

Not sure whether this is the NIC card (drivers are current). Will replace with another should this post not point to something else OR a service running interfering with the TelnetPro.

Thank you,

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 03:11:08 pm »

Hi Peter,

I'm replying to you because Bob, whose been replying to you won't be back until next week.

Unfortunately, I'm just as baffled as what's happening in you case, but I'll try to offer some addition possibilies.

First, when normally starting TelnetPro.exe, there is no attempt to do any connnection, so there should not be any issues about connections or firewalls before the TelnetPro window pops up. The exception is if you have the autoconnect set for one of your hosts. If this is the case, make sure this is turned off for all the hosts, on one of those occasions when you get the program started, of course. This will let you eliminate connection issues as the source of the problem (or confirm it).

The behavior you describe sounds like Windows is waiting for something over the network, like a resource, permission, etc, that it needs to load the program. This would explain the variable time the program takes to load; it's waiting, and timing out, perhaps multiple times, to get a resourse that is not reliably available over the network. Normally, all the components of Pro should be installed on the local (C:) drive.  Could any of the components be installed in a directory of drive that's shared across a network? Perhaps Windows needs to check permissions to access a directory from a remote Domain Server.

pbrown

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 10:38:05 am »

Hi Jim,

All client components were installed locally and the admin server is on a different drive of the same machine. I have no problem when I install in getting a license and the default profile file.

I am working around it at this time by flicking back and forth on the nic card speed - Auto/Full Duplex and though the processes could have been running in the background, they appear after a couple of seconds.

I appreciate both Bob and your time - it does however appear to be specific to my OS and how it is handling TelnetPro. Should I discover a definitive answer to the problem (beyond my nic observation) I will post it to this thread.

Again my thanks
Peter

Page created in 0.01 seconds with 20 queries.