ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: License Recovery  (Read 1547 times)

BobB

• Place Personal Text Here
License Recovery
« on: September 23, 2004, 06:31:15 am »

While inventorying our software licenses, I discovered that initially, all of the user licenses were installed in 2003.  Currently, we actually are using only 4 licenses, the other original users had been moved to another terminal emulator.

I now have the need to install your software on another client, however, the server says that there are no more numbers available.  

I removed a user but the install program insists that there are no more numbers.   What must I do to recover those numbers?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:41:45 am »

The licenseadmin program tells you how many users are in use. The way to install on a new client is to BROWSE to the TCP5_USER share on the machine with the licenseadmin server and run setup. The configwizard program runs at the end of setup and gets a license from the licenseadmin server. If the licenseadmin program said you have users available then you do!

Make sure your TCP5_USER share is FULL CONTROL for EVERYONE.

Make sure you are NOT running 2 licenseadmin servers.

BobB

License Recovery
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 04:09:57 pm »

I have done what you indicate,however, it still insists that there are no licenses available.

any other suggestions?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:21:45 pm »

Run the licenseadmin program on the machine that  acts as the PRO license server. Check the users tab to see what is currently is use. Compare your EXACT error message against these:

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12

BobB

License Recovery
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 06:54:03 am »

License Admin shows 1 available license, the folder is shared with full access and permission to change files, there is no network mapping to the folder.  I now get the message that no license information for the company can be found in the directory.

I am installing on a Windows 98 laptop from an XP server.  I am installing version 5.  I tried version 4.4 and get the same problem.  I am sure there is something else I am missing but I am at a loss to find it.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 09:38:29 am »

License Admin shows 1 available license, the folder is shared with full access and permission to change files, there is no network mapping to the folder.  I now get the message that no license information for the company can be found in the directory.

Under the users tab it says "your total number of authorized users are 5 of which 4 are allocated and 1 is available" ??
I am installing on a Windows 98 laptop from an XP server.  I am installing version 5.  I tried version 4.4 and get the same problem.  I am sure there is something else I am missing but I am at a loss to find it.

The usual stuff. Make sure that from your laptop you can create a folder (new->folder) in the Licenses folder under TCP5_USER. If you can't, you will never be able to get a sequence number.

Make sure that the share isn't mapped to a drive on your laptop.

You should be doing an install by Browsing to the TCP5_USER folder on the licenseadmin server and running setup.exe

Check the version number of telnetpro (help->version information) on one of the installed PC's.

BobB

License Recovery
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 10:24:11 am »

License admin shows 25 licenses, 24 used 1 available.  Numbers 1 - 24 are taken.

Version on other pc is 5.1.0.7

There are no mapped drives on the laptop

I successfully created a folder on the PC from the laptop.

Install was done by going thru network neighborhood to the folder with the SetUp program.

I'm totally stumped.  Should the License server be rebooted?  I looked in the License folder and found 24 license files and the LicenseKeys file.

where does the setup program draw the company name from?  In the LicenseKeys file I see the company name but don't understand how it's used.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 10:56:50 am »

When it gets to the configwizard part, is there something under full name and comment already??

You MUST put something into the comment field.

The computer name and full name should be unique (not already showing up in the licenseadmin program)

The company name is tied to the license on the licenseadmin machine. You working client pc SHOULD show the company name when you connect to a host with the 4.4 telnet client or the telnetpro client. It SHOULD match the one on your licenseadmin server (run licenseadmin, look in the folder tab).

I doubt a reboot of the licenseadmin machine would help.

Do the client PC's have unique names??

BobB

License Recovery
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 12:08:07 pm »

what computer name are you referring to?  The Windows computer name is Server LT and the full name is Server Laptop.

All of the licenses also show unique names.  I put the next license number in the comments block.

Does the company name get placed on the client by the setup program?  Otherwise, I don't know where the client would get the name.

If licenseadmin shows 1 license, and all of the other issues are corrected,is there any other interface issues with the client configuration program?  I still can't find any network problems that would preclude the error.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 12:38:11 pm »

what computer name are you referring to?  The Windows computer name is Server LT and the full name is Server Laptop.
The name of your client PC, how it would show up in windows networking if you tried to connect to it from another pc.
This name should NOT be in the licenseadmin database already, it must be unique.
All of the licenses also show unique names.  I put the next license number in the comments block.
You didn't try to enter the laptop user by hand into licenseadmin did you? You should let configwizard do that at the end of the install
Does the company name get placed on the client by the setup program?  Otherwise, I don't know where the client would get the name.
Yes
If licenseadmin shows 1 license, and all of the other issues are corrected,is there any other interface issues with the client configuration program?  I still can't find any network problems that would preclude the error.
The only other thing I can think of is that there is another client pc with a sequence number that has the same name or nearly the same name, like maybe another machine with Server followed by a space.

I suppose what you could do is delete ALL of the existing users in licenseadmin (make a backup of the licenses folder first) then run an install by BROWSING to the TCP5_USER share on that machine with the licenseadmin server. It really HAS to get a sequence number at the end of that process. If that works you could just rerun configwizard on the other machines you are still using to get them back into the licenseadmin tables.

BobB

Re:License Recovery
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 01:19:50 pm »

Unfortunately, all of the names are unique.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License Recovery
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 01:31:47 pm »

Try my last suggestion
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:59:25 pm by Bob »

BobB

Re:License Recovery
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 03:30:14 pm »

I will try it next week and let you know what happens.

thanks

Page created in 0.009 seconds with 14 queries.