ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Printing issues  (Read 2480 times)

RBarfield

• Place Personal Text Here
    • The Adventures of Shashi and Rick
Printing issues
« on: September 27, 2004, 02:24:49 pm »

I had spoken with Support regarding a printing issue. We currently have UNIX server and use the latest version of ICE.TCP-Plus on a Windows XP Professional machine. The printer attached to the PC is a Brother HL-1440 and we are having issues with the printing. Seems to get hung up while spooling. Support said to designate a local printer location (LPT-1) and that works for a bit but then we have the same issue. We used this printer with a previous vesion of ICE.TCP (4.3.1) and had no issues. We did have to locate XP drivers for it when we changed machines. Can this issue be resolved? If not and we do have to end up purchasing a new laser printer, what inexpensive laser printer would anyone recommend? This printer is only used for printing checks.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 03:25:40 pm »

When you print directly to the device, you are not using the spooler at all. Hanging is not a good thing. You could try upping the buffer size (say 6000 or so) to see if that makes any difference but it sounds more like a hardware problem to me. Perhaps you could go into the computers bios settings and set the parallel port to NORMAL mode, (not epp or ecp). That often stresses the hardware less.

If you get another printer, make sure it's NOT a winprinter. (do a search on winprinters here for an explanation). A decent laser printer should have some sort of PCL emulation. We use a Lexmark e310. There are a bunch of HP lasers that do PCL as well.

RBarfield

Re:Printing issues
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 11:26:58 am »

I have gone into the bios and played with the settings for the port. No Luck. I have gone into the local print set up and checked "Direct Open Device" on LPT-1. I have changed the buffer segment size to 6000. I get one complete print job but on the second one I get the local print notification box saying "Sending print job to the print spooler". This then hangs up the stating that it is cancelling the job. I have to back out of the program to clear the box. When I go back to the local print settings, the "Direct Open Device" block is still checked, although it does reset when the computer is rebooted.

Regarding the printer, as stated before, I am using a Brother HL-1440 (not connected via USB) with PCL4 emulation. This printer was originally connected to a Windows 2000 machine. I have gone to Brother's site and downloaded and installed the latest drivers for Windows XP.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 04:20:40 pm »

I'm at a loss to explain your trouble. The only thing that seems to make sense is a hardware error. If you are able to print the first job properly and the screen isn't corrupted afterwards and then you start a second job and it hangs, it seems like the printer is causing the problem. Direct print is so straightforward it's hard to see how anything else could cause the problem.

The app simply sends an esc sequence at the start of a job which enables the printer and another at the end that turns it off. With direct print, these correspond to a simple open and close of the printer. I guess that the only other possibility is that the unix side is sending a sequence that the printer is barfing on.

You could try the printer on another computer or a different printer on that computer to try and track down the problem better.

RBarfield

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 04:33:36 pm »

We just went out and purchased an HP Laser printer with PCL emulation and the same thing occurs. We are complete beginners with computers here so you will have to tolerate our ignorance. We have someone with UNIX experience who is going to assist us with the ICElp. Is this going to be of any benefit?
Hard to believe we going through this since TCP.ICE 4.3.1 worked so well.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 04:51:14 pm »

Are you planning on trying to use icelp instead of passthrough printing??

What version of plus do you have?? (Help->About Dejawint)

32 bit print is WAY more complicated than 16 bit printing. 32 bit windows treats the printer like a raster device. This is very different than what 16 bit windows does which is to treat the printer as a simple character device.

Were you able to try the printer on a different computer??

RBarfield

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:06:33 pm »

The printer functions well on other computers but using only Windows applications. We use TCP PLUS on only one computer. Our version is: Build 24 Emulation Version 7.10a/32; Windows Inter Version 8.5.
If Icelp works for us, we will use it...We are having no luck with passthrough printing....even with a new printer.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 09:23:01 am »

Did the deja32.exe that Jim sent you correct the issue??

RBarfield

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 10:44:59 am »

Jim said that it looks like a programming issue and they would have to fix it. He said it may take a couple of weeks.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 12:57:28 pm »

Didn't he send you something to test? If not, I have something you can try.

RBarfield

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 01:01:16 pm »

No...I have not received anything from Jim other than his email about a glitch in the software.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 02:37:37 pm »

I'm going to email you a replacement deja32.exe in a zip file. Copy it over the top of your existing one and report the results back please.

Torg42

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 04:01:13 pm »

Bob,

I am having a very similar issue.  We are using AIX and WinXP, along with a HP LaserJet 4.  Can you email me the exe too?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Printing issues
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 04:47:55 pm »

Just sent you a copy.
Please leave feedback on your results....

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.