ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Dropped Telnet Connection  (Read 5896 times)

puas

• Place Personal Text Here
Dropped Telnet Connection
« on: September 27, 2004, 04:34:08 pm »

I have a user who logs in to our unix server with ICE Tcp Plus via a Non Standard Telnet port on XP pc. I opened the port in my Firewall for the user's specific Static IP address. Connects ok to server, but if he remains inactive, the connection is dropped.

My firewall has a "Network Connection Inactivity Timeout" set to 480 Minutes (8 hours) but the longest conection time the user can hold is about 90 min.

Locally, I can access the server and keep a live connection for hours.

The remote user & server are connected via DSL.

What can I test to see what's causing the dropped connections?

thanks

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:42:03 pm »

Sounds like a remote end ISP problem. If you want to test to see if it can be helped by a keepalive, download the PRO trialware package demo:

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=288

And let us know if that helps or not. You'll have to get a trialware license from:

http://portage.jriver.com/tempkey.asp

Install the server and the 4.4 client, see the keepalive interval under the general tab under iceconfig.

Report back!

puas

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »

Bob, Thanks for the quick reply....I appreciate your help on this frustrating problem.

update on dropped connection!

I downloaded the TCP Pro and installed client ver. 4.4.

I made some changes to my user's connection as follows:

original connection... with TCP Plus thru non-standard telnet port thru firewall...now user connecting via VPN client to firewall and connecting to server using local ip 10.1.1.x address, instead of firewall public ip adress.

I set the Keep alive on TCP pro 4.4 to 60 (seconds?).

User reports DejawinT window closes....but his login and ttyp port still shows active when running a "who -u" command @ the # prompt on SCO/unix server.

any ideas?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 09:43:10 am »

Bob, Thanks for the quick reply....I appreciate your help on this frustrating problem.

update on dropped connection!

I downloaded the TCP Pro and installed client ver. 4.4.

I made some changes to my user's connection as follows:

original connection... with TCP Plus thru non-standard telnet port thru firewall...now user connecting via VPN client to firewall and connecting to server using local ip 10.1.1.x address, instead of firewall public ip adress.

I set the Keep alive on TCP pro 4.4 to 60 (seconds?).
I believe that's 600 seconds. Try changing it to 6.
User reports DejawinT window closes....but his login and ttyp port still shows active when running a "who -u" command @ the # prompt on SCO/unix server.

any ideas?
The connection appears to be dropping randomly. You could try to turn keepalive on the SCO box to kill the hung connection however in the big picture, to solve the problem you are going to have to work with your ISP to get a more reliable connection.

forsythe

Re:Dropped Telnet Connection
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:22:48 am »

I'm encountering a similar issue with an AIX server... Would these issues / resolutions mentioned be applicable?

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 11:23:25 am »

Hi,

Bob, who gave the previous answers is now on vacation, and he is much more knowledgable about Unix systems, so my answer unfortunately will not be as definitive.

From my understanding of the dropping connections/keepalive issue, there can be a number of different things that could be causing the problem in any installation. The keepalive function in Plus will work the same way regardless what it is connected to on the remote side, so it may or may not fix the problem, depending on what's happening on the remote side.

So you can try the switch and see if it works. If you need a more informative answer you can wait three weeks and post the question again on this forum.

Jim

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.