ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Unable to connect via SSH  (Read 2664 times)

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here
Unable to connect via SSH
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:11 am »

I completely removed the old version of ICE TCP for Windows 95 from my workstation and any related folder and/or registry associated with ICE and J.River and re-installed the new ICE.TCP v4.4 but still cannot connect to the host via SSH.
Try/check the following:
1.    ping the host from one that connects and then from yours
2.    check for multiple firewalls
3.    check that port 22 is open to go outbound
4.    check your network setting (home, work or public)
I tried/checked all your recommendations below and all look good.

Here's what I can narrow the problem to:
- If I launch deja32.exe as a *different* user on *my *workstation, it works fine
- If I launch deja32.exe as *myself* on a *different workstation*, it works fine
- But, if I launch deja32.exe as *myself on my workstation*, it fails. I have full admin rights to my local machine.
This is only happening when I try SSH. My connection using telnet works fine.
I tried to connect to various Linux servers using SSH but to no avail.
I’m running Windows XP. Is there a corresponding ssh or dejawin registry entry for my profile on my machine that I can clear? Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

bharb

Re: Unable to connect via SSH
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »

additional measures I took hoping to resolve this issue (but to no avail):

- I removed the hostkey fingerprint in the registry entry on my workstation to force registering a new key
- the entry was under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys'
- I tried to reconnect and the PuTTY Security Alert window showed up. I clicked on Yes and the Dejawin32 window blinked and disappeared

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:56 pm »

- I tried to reconnect and the PuTTY Security Alert window showed up. I clicked on Yes and the Dejawin32 window blinked and disappeared
Well, that's interesting since it seems that you are getting the communication over port 22 and the key negotiation.
I'd check the terminal type in DejaWinT.
Make sure the word length is 8 and parity none.
Perhaps there is a hung session on the unix machine from your IP?
You could check that with netstat on the unix side.
Is autologin unchecked (it should be)?

You could try connecting with putty and see if it's any different (it might give details about the error). The emulation in putty is pretty primitive but the ssh part is good.

bharb

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »

Bob,
My terminal type is ANSI, word length is 8, parity 0 and autologin is unchecked. As I mentioned, I can launch dejawin under a different windows user profile from my workstation but not under mine.
I also copied the c:\windows\Documents and Settings\<other_user>\Application Data\ICE folder to my user profile.
I checked for any hung sessions but there is none.
I already have putty and works fine connecting to the server using ssh.

Just to mention, I had installed and tested different versions of ICE TCP products in the past on my computer since our shop has been using ICE for over 25 years. But I uninstalled all the ICE/JRiver programs in an attempt to try to make this work.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »

Check for any ice*.ini or deja*.ini files in your C:\Windows directory (left from previous versions).
Delete them all.
In the registry,
make sure that HKCU->Software->J. River->ICE.TCP->4.4->CurrentHosts
is writable.
Delete it.
Try again...

bharb

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

There are no ice or deja files in Windows.

Under HKCU->Software->J.River->ICE.TCP, I don't have any sub_folders!
But I found a CurrentHosts under HK_USERS\S-1-5-21.......\Software\J.River\ICE.TCP\4.4

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

There are no ice or deja files in Windows.

Under HKCU->Software->J.River->ICE.TCP, I don't have any sub_folders!
But I found a CurrentHosts under HK_USERS\S-1-5-21.......\Software\J.River\ICE.TCP\4.4
Something is wrong then because you should have folders under ICE.TCP (4.4 at least).
Try deleting the HKCU->Software->J.River folder.
It should get re-created when DejaWinT runs.

bharb

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:02:08 am »

Bob,

I was finally able to delete the J. River folder from the registry, uninstalled ICE, rebooted, re-installed and tried to restart Dejawin but with same result. The registry entry and subfolders look fine now (as you described in previous post).

I looked at the permissions for the registry entries and all look okay. still won't let me connect SSH as myself but works fine for telnet connection.

I even deleted the registry entry HKCU\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys\rsa@22<server ip> in order to force the PuTTY Security Alert Box for server key fingerprint and re-registration, but with same result (SSH Connection failed).

Not sure what else to do beside reformatting my pc.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »

I'm at a loss to explain this.
The bottom line is that you can use ssh logged in as another user on that machine.
You can use telnet but not ssh as yourself.
XP doesn't have different network profiles like Win7 so it can't be that.
You've copied the settings from a working user on the same machine and that doesn't do it.
Are you using the same login to the unix machine when you test this as yourself and another user?
You've tried disabling any programs that inhibit writing of the registry (typically antivirus programs)?

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.