ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Ragged output from ls command in Telnet Pro  (Read 1826 times)

mfisher

Ragged output from ls command in Telnet Pro
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »

I'm running Telnet Pro 5.1.25, and have a problem that I assume has to do with one of the terminal emulator settings.

The terminal type is Wyse60 (24 line).  The remote servers are AIX 5.3 and RHEL 5.8.  The TERM variable in my environment in both cases is wyse60.  I am also using the same profile in Telnet Pro for both connections.

There are no problems with my AIX 5.3 sessions. However, there is a problem with the ls command in my RHEL sessions.

The problem is reproducible in RHEL sessions as follows:

- Connect
- Run the ls command. The output is in orderly, aligned columns.
- Run the AcuCOBOL-GT debugger, and then immediately exit the debugger.
- Run the ls command again. The output is in ragged, unaligned columns.

The problem does not occur in a PuTTY connection to RHEL, using TERM=xterm. Therefore I assume it has something to do with the terminal emulator settings in my Telnet Pro profile.

My guess would be that the AcuCOBOL-GT debugger has output some control character that is not being properly handled by my Telnet Pro profile's settings. But I really have no idea what the problem is.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thank you.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Ragged output from ls command in Telnet Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:32 am »

I'd assume the debugger is sending the control code that unsets the tabs.
A couple of workarounds, one is to run the debugger from a script that sends the terminal reset code at the end (tput reset)
The other is to just do a manual terminal reset in TelnetPro
Telnet->Reset Terminal Parameters
or Right-Click, Reset Terminal

Since Putty can't do wyse60 it's difficult to know why it's different. It could be that the debugger is doing some terminal type assumptions that are incorrect.

mfisher

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »

Yes, using the menu and right-click menu to reset the terminal parameters is a valid workaround. Thank you.

Interestingly, the tput reset command just causes the columns in ls to be ragged in a different way.

I'd appreciate any additional insight you might have, but will follow up based on the info you've already provided. Thanks!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:36 pm »

The only thing I can think of regarding the tput reset command is that the terminal type set in PRO is different than the one set in Unix.
You could try a
set | grep TERM
from the command line to see what the shell thinks the terminal type is...

Oh I guess one other thing is that the terminal database (terminfo or termcap) is corrupt or has been customized.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.