ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: XP and Terminal Services  (Read 815 times)

console

• Place Personal Text Here
XP and Terminal Services
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:40:33 am »

Hi,

I am using ICE TCP Pro on a WinXP machine set to run macros at scheduled times, no problem.

Win XP TS has been enabled since I installed ICE TCP Pro. I recently used TS to check the status of a macro and then overnight ICE TCP Pro gave a load of erros about needing a thin client license because of using Terminal Services.

I can see why you would need an extra license if more people could use the program using TS but on Windows XP only 1 person can use the computer at a time either via TS or actually in front of the pc therefore there is no license violation.

Is there a solution to this, perhaps ICE recognising that Windows XP TS is still only 1 user per pc?

any other ideas?

thanks!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
XP and Terminal Services
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:13:24 am »

Pro knows when it's running on a thin client. If you are running on an XP console,  you don't need a thin client license, however by our definition remote desktop is a thin client and requires a terminal server license.

console

• Place Personal Text Here
XP and Terminal Services
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 09:20:45 am »

I can understand why you would want people using ICE TCP on a Terminal Server to pay for an extra license as several users could be using a program with a single user license.

But with XP Pro there can only be one user using the PC at a time either by TS or as console... Therefore it seems silly to pay for an extra license when there can only ever be a single user using the program.

And in my case we're just using TS to monitor the PC to make sure its performing correctly.

Thanks

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
XP and Terminal Services
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 09:34:44 am »

I can see your point however there isn't currently any way for Telnet PRO to sense that it's on a limited version of terminal services. Perhaps this could be added in the future.

Page created in 0.006 seconds with 17 queries.