ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Ice Tcp plus pritning problem  (Read 1868 times)

ianfarrar

• Manchester, England
Ice Tcp plus pritning problem
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:41:11 am »

I'm wondering if anyone can help us with a project we are undertaking.

The scenario is we have two branches connected via 3 com bridge routers using isdn, the head office is running a c based accounting suite with Sco Unix open server.

What we wanted to do is run a printer at the remote site using Ice tcp plus.  We set a printer up at head office and tested it with no problem, however when we tried to run the same operation at the remote site we could not get the printer to work.

I believe the task is possible but I am not sure how to do it.

Both sites are running static ip addresses and I believe it is just a case of elling the Unix box to direct the print job to the printer sitting at the remote site on the back of a pc running Windows 98 on a network.

Head offices network is using 212.0.0.0

Remote site is using 112.0.0.0

We are running Ice tcp plus emulation version 7.10a/32, Windows Interface Version 8.5 at remote site.

Hope someone can help

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 09:22:22 am »

Just use ICELP on the Unix box and the remote clients. See the manual (on the CD in the DOC directory) on how to setup ICELP. Be sure to open port 2346 in whatever firewall you have for the remote clients.

ianfarrar

• Manchester, England
Re:Ice Tcp plus pritning problem
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:24:00 am »

have set this up as per the manual and as I have said it is is working on the back of a pc in the head office on the 212.0.0.0 network but not on the remote site, when I try and print on the remote site I get a failed to print message on a pc at head office

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 12:05:03 pm »

Be sure to open port 2346 in whatever firewall you have for the remote clients.

rs117

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:35:19 am »

Thank you..
What an easy fix, when you know what to do.
Rhonda

ianfarrar

• Manchester, England
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 10:13:17 am »

Hi again,
I think i may have explained this a bit fuzzily...

The two systems are NOT connected via the internet, but are on a private dial-up link using British Telecom's digital line service (ISDN) this is basically the same as a PSTN connection except that it is across a digital network - no line noise, more secure - and faster 64k or 128k connection.

The head office is running on SCO Unix Open Server on an ip range of 212.x.x.x at Warrington, England, connected using a Specialix Terminal Adapter.

The remote site is running on Windows98 on an ip range of 112.x.x.x at Swansea, Wales.

The routers are specifically for the ISDN service and are 3Com Office Express Bridge Routers.

Ice tcp plus v7.10a/32, Windows Interface Version 8.5 at remote site.

All communications are ok between head office and the remote site and the application runs perfectly ok at remote, however what we wanted to do is run a printer at the remote site using Ice tcp plus.  We set a printer up at head office and tested it with no problem, however when we tried to run the same operation at the remote site we could not get the printer to work.

There is no firewall software or firewall appliances in the system as this is NOT connected to the public internet, but is a direct point-to-point routed connection - pretty much like a dial-up modem, but across digital phone lines.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me, or suggest what I can try next?
The difficulty is that the remote office is 200miles from the HQ, and it's challenging getting back and forth to try things.

- Ian

:-\

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 02:46:27 pm »

What printing method are you using? ICELP or Passthrough printing?
Since you are using a terminal adapter at the main office I assume then that you are running a serial version of ice there?

Please do help->about dejawint and give me the build number.

ianfarrar

• Manchester, England
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 04:25:19 pm »

We have at the main office Wyse 120 terminals, old pc's with Win 95 and Ice 10 and as it is now 10.00 pm here I cannot check the build version of dejawint, allthough I can tell you we are printing at the main office to 3 printers, 1 off the parallel port off the terminal adaptor, 1 off the serial port on the terminal adaptor and 1 off the back of a pc using icelp

Ian

ianfarrar

• Manchester, England
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:59 am »

Have checked build level, it is 23, but if it helps I have also checked the build level at the main office where I originally tested the printer and it is also build level 23

Ian

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 07:31:55 pm »

We have at the main office Wyse 120 terminals, old pc's with Win 95 and Ice 10 and as it is now 10.00 pm here I cannot check the build version of dejawint, allthough I can tell you we are printing at the main office to 3 printers, 1 off the parallel port off the terminal adaptor, 1 off the serial port on the terminal adaptor and 1 off the back of a pc using icelp

If you have ICE.TEN, that is SERIAL. In that case you can only use passthrough printing, NOT ICELP. Do you also have ICE.TCP (whatever version) at the main office using ICELP INSTEAD of passthrough printing (ICE.TCP can do both passthrough AND ICELP printing)?

The reason I'm trying to flesh this out is so I can give you the right solution.

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 20 queries.