ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Printing Problems version 5.1.25  (Read 778 times)

Heath

• Place Personal Text Here
Printing Problems version 5.1.25
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:53:43 pm »

I have remote users that gain access through RAS or VPN.  They need to print reports on their local printers.  

The local printer is working. (LPT1)
All printer settings appear to be set up properly.
LPD is running and the queue name has the appropriate printer associated.
Attempt to print and the print icon displays and then disappears without printing the job.  No error no nothing.

I can setup a similar environment at the office and print without problems, but when I walk through all of this with the remote guy it doesn't work.  First thought was that he is doing something wrong, so I connected to him with PCAnywhere and did it myself.  All settings look good but it will not print.  

Any thoughts????????

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:43:39 pm »

If the setup is the same for the office site (which works) and the remote site, and there is nothing wrong with the setup at the remote sites, this would leave only the remote network  (RAS & VPN) connection as the source of the problem.

You might want to check the thread at:

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=400;start=msg1335#msg1335

The poster seemed to have the same kind of problem as you are having. Even though the problem went away "by itself," you could check some of the suggestions that Bob gave. In particular, he mentioned an possible MTU size mismatch, and also the provider (in that case Roadrunner) may be handling uncommon protocols differently or not at all.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Heath

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:49:37 pm »

Thanks for the reply, I will check on the MTU size issue.

Using the telnet LPD program is there any compatibility issues with printers?  After looking at the other post the only difference that I can find in setup is the printer model.

I am going to do the same as user in the other thread, I am going to take the printer home and connect using my personal laptop and see what happens.  

But one of my users sent me his laptop to investigate this problem.  Using his dialup over the VPN I printed to an HP Laserjet 4250 installed on LPT1.  No problems.  I sent his machine back and told him that it was fine.  He uses the same dial up and VPN (or RAS it doesn't matter which) and it will not print to his printer.  I don't know at the moment what printer he has, but I think it is an Epson something.  I will check.

Does printer compatibility throw up any flags?

Thanks

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re:Printing Problems version 5.1.25
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:55:17 pm »

It is less likely, but that possiblity can be eliminated by swapping out the printer, as you indicated you would try. An alternate way to test the printer compatibility if that way is impractical is to intercept the print job on the Unix before it disappears from the queue on the Unix side, and manually transfer the file (using a binary transfer) and seeing if the printer on the PC can handle the job.

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 20 queries.