ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Pinout  (Read 1199 times)

ahteric

• Place Personal Text Here
Pinout
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:30:38 pm »

I need to wire a 9-pin adapter to hook to a pc so we can use ICE-TEN on the pc. The adapter has an RJ12 (6-pin) connection on one end and 9-pin serial on the other. I think pins 2 and 3 are straight-thru, but don't know for sure and don't know what other pins need to be used. Thanks for any help.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Pinout
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 09:15:36 am »

Unfortunately there is no standard for RJ to 9 pin adapters. On the 9 pin you will need to use pins 2, 3 and 5. If you are wiring both ends you can make a sort of universal adapter by wiring the ground (pin 5 on a 9 pin connector, pin 7 on a 25 pin connector) to the 2 outside wires on the RJ, pin 2 to the next 2 inner wires and pin 3 to the center 2 wires. This way it won't matter if your cable reverses the connection or not (of course, this requires that the cable itself use all 6 pins). You may have to swap the wiring of pins 2 and 3 on the multiport end depending on if it's using 9 or 25 pin connectors and whether it's wired as DTE or DCE.

ahteric

• Place Personal Text Here
Pinout
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:35:09 pm »

Thanks, I opened up one of the adapters and followed the pinout, which worked. Thanks for the universal info too!  :D

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.