ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Printing to Remote PC Printers  (Read 2258 times)

sandlion

• Place Personal Text Here
Printing to Remote PC Printers
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:15:06 am »

ICE TCP Pro Version 5.1.21 - New Terminal Server running Server 2012 replaced Terminal Server running Server 2003.  Telnet Pro works fine with the exception of printing to remote office connecting with Remote Desktop. I ran icelpconfig  but get Unix host 192.168.1.X does not reply or wrong socket number 2346 and then terminating ICELP.  This worked previously with the old server so I'm assuming that this is an issue with the Server 2012 and/or ICE TCP Version 5.1.21 perhaps?  The accounting Server that I am trying to print from is running Red Hat Linux 7.5 and I am not well versed in Linux but nothing has changed there.  The only change was the Windows Server from Server 2003 to Server 2012 running RDP Services.  Windows Printing to the Remote office PC's works fine just can't set up printing from the accounting running on the Linux Box.  Thanks!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Printing to Remote PC Printers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:27 am »

The Terminal Server box needs it's firewall opened to go out TCP port 2346.
Try adding a manual rule for that.
There is a post on ICELP testing here as well. I'll dig it out and link to it. Here it is in a abbreviated form.

On the terminal server PC, first make sure the windows telnet client is installed (windows components), then bring up a cmd window.
In the command windows, type
telnet 1.2.3.4 2346
(replace 1.2.3.4 with you unix server's IP address).
You should get a connect with blank window
type in (blindly, there will be no characters shown as you type)
ICELP*
The other side should reply
HI_ICELP

You can then close the command box.
If you don't get a connect and the HI_ICELP back, it's likely there is something wrong on the unix box or the windows firewall is blocking the connection.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:31:22 am by Bob »

sandlion

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:55:39 am »

Opened outgoing port in firewall and I no longer get that message.  Now I'm getting "At least one Host Print Line is print is set incorrectly" 

Telnet Client is installed

Telnet to Linux Server on port 2346 fails to connect

icelpconfig configuration?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:22 pm »

If you get a failed connect, either the firewall is still blocking the connect or icelpd isn't running on the linux box.
You could try the telnet trick ON the linux box itself.

telnet localhost 2346

sandlion

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »

telnet localhost 2346  results in "connection refused"

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:04:04 pm »

telnet localhost 2346  results in "connection refused"
Then I'd suspect for some reason icelpd isn't running on your server anymore (or you weren't using the default port).
You said you didn't change the server so it's somewhat odd.
Are you sure you were using ICELP for printing before and not passthrough or something else?

sandlion

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

When I look back the old Windows Server was running Citrix Metaframe. I set it up along time ago and I'm not sure how it was configured but it was working.

I'm not well versed in Linux so I'm at a disadvantage in working with this.

What is the recommended method? 

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

I'm wondering why you were thinking that you were using ICELP?
We need to figure out how the printing was occurring previously.
Is the linux app printing directly or through the spooler?
Have you setup the ICE terminal type the same as on the citrix install?

sandlion

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »

I am also wondering why I was thinking that it was using ICELP.  Truth is that I am not sure how it was printing from the previous platform but it did work for years.  I do know that ICE was passing the print jobs to the print spooler on the 2003 Server which then passed them to the remote PC spooler and then to the attached printer.  I know that because under the old system, I would pause both those printers temporarily so I could follow the print jobs and track down where they were failing when the remote office reported a printing porblem.
Terminal type is and was Wyse 60
Difference now is that we are just using Remote Desktop instead of Citrix to make the connection from the Remote Office and using a 2012 Terminal Server rather than the 2003 Server.  Windows printing to the Remote PC works fine.  The problem that I am having is how to get the print job from the ICE Emulation to the Windows Spooler.  Thin clients in the main office connecting with Remote Desktop are printing from accounting but I can't get a print job to the Remote office PC's
I do not have a good understanding of Linux so I'm not exactly sure how that is configured.  I did attempt to contact the support provider of the Linux Server and the accounting software but have not gotten a call back yet.   

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »

Thin clients in the main office connecting with Remote Desktop are printing from accounting but I can't get a print job to the Remote office PC's
I think this is the key. I don't think you were using ICELP, but you can check on the thin clients in the office to find out.

See if ICELP is running (look on the windows taskbar) on the thin clients in the office that can print (I'd bet not since your test to 2346 on the linux box didn't work).
If they ARE using ICELP to print, it must be on a different port.

If they aren't, the linux app must be using passthrough printing and your remote local printer setup must be off.

Be aware that citrix can do some printer mapping that terminal server/remote desktop cannot.

sandlion

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 06:22:11 pm »

Sorry I had to run off to an appointment.  Thank you so much for all your help and advice today.  I still have not resolved the problem and I'm not positive the local thin client can print through Telnet Pro.  The folks on site told me that it did but I think they may have been talking about a Windows test page rather than the anything from the accounting server.  The Windows printing works fine either locally from a Thin Client or at the Remote Office.  It's just the output from the Accounting application running on the Linux box that I am having the problem with.   I did not get back on site today and really need to determine for sure if the local Thin Clients can print from accounting.  Knowing that for sure does help in tracking down the problem.  I do not see the ICELP running in the system tray.  That makes sense since it is telling me that I do not have something configured correctly.  That may well be unimportant if the app was using pass through printing before.  We made a lot of changes with the Server 2012 which also included updating the older Thin Clients which would not work with the Server 2012.  Unless updating the Telnet Pro would solve this problem, I'm sure they would not want to spend the money.  That office has a 10 user Terminal Server Version of 5.1.21 running on the 2012 Server and another License running for the local PC Clients running 5.1.30 with 6 licenses. 

I do remember that Citrix did make it work before and I may have to go that route.  I was just trying to simplify and avoid that extra expense.     

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:45 am »

The key is to find out just exactly what method of printing they were using when it worked, pass-through, ICELP or something else. Then we'll be able to have an idea of whether or not it can be setup to work without citrix.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.