ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: no carrier  (Read 2439 times)

grjaxnc

• Place Personal Text Here
no carrier
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:44:03 am »

I have downloaded the ice off-site 30day trial and when I dial the number of the unix host I get a "no carrier" message followed by a ring, then nothing; when I press enter nothing happens, and the only letters I type that will appear on the screen are "a" followed by "t" and "d" and a few others. I have tried the paper clip idea in the manual and that didnt work. Do I need to dial my ISP or the number of my unix host directly? Also, do I need to use an external modem or can I use my internal lucent (which I have been trying). If it is my modem that is the problem what modem brands would be compatible?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
no carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:45:16 pm »

No carrier usually means that the modem on the other side has been connected to but is refusing to sync.

If you are seeing the AT echoed, OffSite is talking to the modem properly.

Can you hear it dialing and trying to sync? You cound try turning on the modem speaker if you haven't heard anything (ATM1 usually turns it on).

Try different baud rates, old unix modems can often be VERY picky. Try 9600, 19200 and 38400. Use xon/xoff protocol.

The USR (now 3com)  56k sportster modems, expecially the external serial ones give a lot of control over connect parameters (check the post about this near the top of this forum).

grjaxnc

no carrier
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 07:51:46 am »

I dont understand what you mean by "seeing the at echoed". I hear noise on the unix host end (which has the usrobotics modem) but none on the off site side(which has a lucent internal modem). It appears that those commands for the usr modem you refer to wouldnt be applicable to me because my usr modem is on the host side. I have tried all the different baud rates you specified but it still says "no carrier".

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
no carrier
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 09:34:19 am »

Since you can hear the unix modem pick up and try to connect it means there is an incompatibility problem between the two modems. I suggest you try an external USR modem on the PC, preferably one similar to the Unix USR modem.

grjaxnc

no carrier
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:55:40 am »

We tried it; didnt work still no carrier. We also tried the settings from the usr post, didnt work. Do I need to do anything on the host computer to get it to communicate? (PPP connection manager)

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
no carrier
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:47:46 am »

Did you turn on the speaker to hear if it was syncing up?

With the external modem:
ATM1X4
should turn on the speaker AND give you verbose result codes.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 17 queries.