ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Remote Access  (Read 1271 times)

Stuart

• Place Personal Text Here
Remote Access
« on: June 30, 2006, 06:49:07 am »

We have tried to access ICE-TCP over a remote connection form home to my pc at work and when I click on the Icon it will not allow me to open the application.

It comes up with a message saying, "Terminal services are running from this PC. You need a thin client licence".
If you are dialling in to our own pc, then surely the licence of the PC at work is active?

Could any one please explained if we are doing something wrong.
 :-*

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Remote Access
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:11:53 am »

It's exactly what it says, you are trying to run as a thin client (you are not running the program on your machine) and that requires a thin client license.

If you want to run remotely and you do want to get a thin client license you must install PRO on the remote computer and run configwizard using a regular user sequence number and connect directly to the unix machine from the remote machine. Since you must be using a vpn to access the work machine anyway, this is a more efficient way to run than moving graphics over remote desktop.

jmabbott

• John
Re:Remote Access
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:30:50 am »

Hi Guys,

1. Does this mean I need to purchase another license for my PC at home - all the sequence number at the office are assigned though not all are in use at the same time.

2. In my case I tried to do the Remote Desktop Connection not to run Telnet Pro on a remote PC but to remotely debug an application that has the ICE-TCP API embedded. To advoid the error message I have to VNC into the erroring PC to debug the application.

3. You didn't expain why the big deal. Isn't what Stuart (and I) tried essentially just One User with One Application on On Machine with One license. What is "thin client" and when would I need a Thin Client License? I did check your web site (http://www.icetcp.com/) but I couldn't find any information about thin client or Thin Client License. Did I miss something?

Thanks,
John

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re:Remote Access
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:34:23 am »

Hi Guys,

1. Does this mean I need to purchase another license for my PC at home - all the sequence number at the office are assigned though not all are in use at the same time.
You would need a license at home to run normally (not via remote desktop or terminal services).
2. In my case I tried to do the Remote Desktop Connection not to run Telnet Pro on a remote PC but to remotely debug an application that has the ICE-TCP API embedded. To avoid the error message I have to VNC into the erroring PC to debug the application.
VNC or PC anywhere are not true thin client apps. That is why you get around requiring the thin client license.
3. You didn't expain why the big deal. Isn't what Stuart (and I) tried essentially just One User with One Application on On Machine with One license. What is "thin client" and when would I need a Thin Client License? I did check your web site (http://www.icetcp.com/) but I couldn't find any information about thin client or Thin Client License. Did I miss something?
Remote desktop is simply a 1 user version of terminal services. PRO can't distinguish between the two, it just knows it's running on a thin client which requires a thin client license.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.