ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: printing to tty printer  (Read 1480 times)

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here
printing to tty printer
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:10 am »

I have an application that I access using ICE.TCP Plus and also on some pc's use ICE.TCP 4.3.1.
In the application, there are some printers that are setup to print to "tty", which is their method of saying to print to a slave printer.  When I try to print to this tty printer, I get a couple different results, neither of which comes out correctly.

In ICE.TCP 4.3.1, it sends the job to the printer, but "hangs" as it tries to print the last page of the report.  In "hangs", I mean that it appears to stay in the printer's memory, but doesn't physically print out.  If I send a Windows print job to the printer right after that, it will then print out that last page and then also the Windows job.

In ICE.TCP PLUS, it sends a new job to the printer for each line that is in the report, so for a 2 page report, it will send approximately 130 print jobs with the one line on each page and nothing else.

Is there a way to make the emulators print correctly using a slave printer?  And, also, does the slave printer have to be connected directly to the LPT1: port or can it be on a USB or network connection?
Thanks for your help,

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here
Re: printing to tty printer
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:31:36 am »

The TCP PLUS is Build 25

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: printing to tty printer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:27:38 am »

In ICE.TCP 4.3.1, it sends the job to the printer, but "hangs" as it tries to print the last page of the report.  In "hangs", I mean that it appears to stay in the printer's memory, but doesn't physically print out.  If I send a Windows print job to the printer right after that, it will then print out that last page and then also the Windows job.
4.3.1 is unsupported 16 bit software.
BTW, it IS doing what it is supposed to do. The application is obviously NOT sending a formfeed after the last page. It's the printers job to spit out the page after a timeout period if  it's not followed by a formfeed. Either fix the app or change the settings on the printer.
In ICE.TCP PLUS, it sends a new job to the printer for each line that is in the report, so for a 2 page report, it will send approximately 130 print jobs with the one line on each page and nothing else.
Try raster printing.
Is there a way to make the emulators print correctly using a slave printer?  And, also, does the slave printer have to be connected directly to the LPT1: port or can it be on a USB or network connection?
Thanks for your help,
Raster printing should be able to print to any printer as stated on this forum many times before. It does simple line printer emulation. Do a search here on raster printing if you need more info.

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 20 queries.