ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Problem Installing on WIN XP (SP2)  (Read 5073 times)

bdoubtfire

• Place Personal Text Here
Problem Installing on WIN XP (SP2)
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:57:28 am »

I am trying to install ICE TCP Pro (5.1.26) on an AcerExtensa (with AMD SEMPRON processor).  The PC does not seem to run the executable.

I have tried running from both the ICE Server and from the CD with the same result, I click on the executable and it sits there not running the setup.exe.  No virus software or firewalls are running on the PC and I have attempted to run it with the PC attached and disconnected from the network.  (obviously from only CD when disconnected!!).

I am logged onto the PC with full adminsitrator rights.

I have searched the support forum and cannot find a similar problem where the executable will not run at all.

Because I have loaded ICE from CD and from the ICE server onto several other PCs I am assuming it is a problem with the PC itself.  Do you know of any reason the executable would refuse to run?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Kind regards

Brett
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:08:25 pm by Bob »

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Problem Installing on WIN XP (SP2)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:09:36 pm »

That's a weird one. Is the machine in a domain? If so, are you logging in as the domain administrator or the local machine administrator??

It does run installshield for the installation. I suppose it's possible that your are missing something in the OS that prevents the installer from running.

I guess you could grab the install directory in program files from a working machine and put on the new machine then create a shortcut to telnetpro on the desktop. Then you would still need to browse to the server to run configwizard.exe to get a license.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:08:35 pm by Bob »

bdoubtfire

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:28:36 am »

Bob,
thanks for that.  As I suspected it was indeed a PC specific problem!  The issue seems to have been a nasty little piece of software that comes with Acer machines (Acer E Data Security) which was blocking the CD from running the installshield.  As it was feeling particular unhelpful, it did not offer any sort of warning or alert, it just blocked the install!!

The situation is now resolved but I thought I would let you guys know about the conflict in case any other users experience the same.

Cheers

Brett
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:08:47 pm by Bob »

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 10:44:58 am »

Wow, good job finding it Brett! Thanks for passing along the information!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:08:59 pm by Bob »

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:05:17 pm »

Another customer has discovered that Nero 7 Essentials (possibly nm in task manager) was blocking the installation of ICE.TCP PLUS.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:46:29 pm by deanna »

Alisonholland

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:15:32 am »

I am having the same trouble with an Acer Extensa running Windows XP Pro.  I have removed the Acer E Data Security software, but still cannot load anything other than Microsoft programs!!  I have tried every version of ICE.TCP that I have, and nothing happens after clicking the Setup Icon, either from CD or from the server.

My favouriter version - DejaVu for WIn95 - will install but freezes up every time without connecting.
Any suggestions gratefully received, I am tearing my hair out!
thnks
alison

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:14 pm »

Try:
Start->Run
type in
msconfig
and hit enter. Check the rightmost tab "startup"
Look for weird stuff. Don't uncheck things willy-nilly. Find the name, type it into google and see what it is. You'll probably find some things you don't want running on your machine.
Also note that virus checking software often has to be put into an "install mode" or disabled completely to install packages.

Alisonholland

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 10:34:02 am »

Thanks for the advice
Actually I just went through add/remove programs taking things off until my software worked! And Yippeeee, after taking off another of the Acer programs "Acer LANscope" I got a result!

thnks
alison

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:47:19 pm »

After much aggravation another customer has found that HP Toolbox interferes with the installation of Pro.  Regarding "HP Toolbox if you go to task manager then shutdown the toolbox service and spoolservice the program installs great, restart the computer and all is good."

Here are some other programs that others have found:

Spybot
Roxio CD Creator
Dell support software:  sprtcmd.exe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:01:28 am by deanna »

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 08:59:56 am »

This is another response from a Vista customer who was "able to install it on my Vista box by booting up in safe mode with network services.  Then it loaded just fine."

bdoubtfire

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:23 am »

Just been trying to install a different piece of software on an ACER laptop running windows XP with great difficulty, discovered a process running on the laptop: monitor.exe. (seems to restrict registry access somehow).
Manually stopped the process using task manager and was able to continue install - another one to look out for on the Acer's.

B

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:52 pm »

Just been trying to install a different piece of software on an ACER laptop running windows XP with great difficulty, discovered a process running on the laptop: monitor.exe. (seems to restrict registry access somehow).
Manually stopped the process using task manager and was able to continue install - another one to look out for on the Acer's.

B
Thanks VERY much for the feedback...

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »

Another customer reported that when he disabled setpoint.exe (Logitech mouse), he had no problem installing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:09:24 am by deanna »

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:29 pm »

Another customer was able to install on Windows 8 after restarting the PC in Clean Boot mode

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:44:02 am »

On behalf of a Windows 10 customer:
Turns out that Dejawin was working perfectly in SAFE MODE but when booting in normal mode it doesn't work.

Further investigation found that that was a software conflict between the Logitech keyboard application (Logitech Gaming Software 8.58 for the G15 keyboard)

Disabled the app, Dejawin lauches perfectly!

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 17 queries.