ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Under Unix: stty intr ignored  (Read 3239 times)

solcon

• Place Personal Text Here
Under Unix: stty intr ignored
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:08 am »

I am running version 7.10a/32 build 21 of ICE.TCP on Windows XP SP2

When I connect to SCO Unix, the 'stty intr ^X does not work.  I first thought it was with the profile on the Unix Server.  However, when I am logged into the console there is no problem.  I can issue a Control-X to stop scrolling on the screen.  I am using the ansi protocol under ICE.TCP.  Is there something I need to change for ICE.TCP to allow the interrupt to work?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Under Unix: stty intr ignored
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:08:06 pm »

After trying to change it, do an
stty -a
to make sure the change worked and that there is nothing else using ^X

I tried with with my sco 5.0.6 box and PLUS and it worked perfectly.

Note that if you have a slow machine and are using a big font that there will be some lag in picking up the control-X as most of the processing power will be used in scrolling the screen.

solcon

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »

I checked and there is nothing else using Control-X.  My Unix File Server is very fast, when I do the same thing on the console, it was too fast.  I had to use a larger directory listing to try Control-X.

Like I said, I am using 'ansi', were using 'ansi' as well?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:52 pm »

I was using ANSI as well.

The console is faster because the Unix box can write directly to video memory as opposed to sending the data down the device driver chain converting them to ascii characters then packetizing them through the TCP/IP stack and of course the opposite process on the destination PC.

You can test to see if the PC load is causing you trouble by choosing the smallest screen size and try your test again. Dejawint looks for an input character once for every 256 output characters. You could also check to make sure the video driver on the PC is accelerated, not a stock vga driver.

On my machine it stops almost immediately when I try your test (I have a 3.2 g P4 w/ onboard ATI video).

solcon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:49:10 pm »

I tried the smallest screen size and that did not help, and yes my video card is a brand name, not generic VGA.

While, I guess there is not anything that could be done.  Control-X does stop the running of a program that I am working on.  If you have anymore thoughts let me know.  Thank you for your help so far.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:36:08 am »

Only one other thing I can think of, concerning the video card, did you check in device manager to see if the system is recognizing it as an accelerated card? You might also want to try updating the video drivers.

With nothing going on hitting control-X on a command line should drop you down a line to a new prompt.

solcon

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:37:38 am »

The video card is old, and Windows installed the driver from Plug-n-Play.  I could not find the manufacturer's driver, no longer supported. 

As I said in my previous reply, I can use Control-X to stop the execution of a program.  I will have to use the "|more " command extension when doing a listing on the unix screen.

Thank you for trying to help me with this.  As always, J. River has very good terminal emulation products.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.