ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: FTP fails to connect; Rebooting Unix server resolves problem. What is happenin  (Read 1350 times)

town0139

• Place Personal Text Here

CLient states that FTP is beginning to not connect more often.  When Unix server is rebooted, FTP works fine.  In-house support tech wants to replace the Unix server hard drive.  I don't think that is necessary.  If the hard drive was having problems, many other things would be happening.  HELP!!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist

It does sound like a server issue but I wouldn't immediately expect it to be a hard drive. Sounds like you could use a unix admin.
If it was me I'd:

1) Check the server load average when ftp is working vs when it's not (type w {and hit enter} at the root prompt)
2) Check to see if the filesystems are filling up (type df {and hit enter} at the root prompt)
3) Check for open TCP connections (netstat -n {and hit enter} at the root prompt when the machine is misbehaving)
4) There is a way to check for stream buffer failures as well (these are kernel parameters that can be tuned). You'll need to look up the syntax for that one, it varies for one version of unix versus another.
5) Look for errors in the unix error logs. Location varies.

town0139

• Place Personal Text Here

netstat -m did show several Stream failures.  After tuning the NSTREAM and NSTRPAGES kernel value, everything is working as it should.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.