ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Pass thru printing  (Read 2989 times)

Permatop

Pass thru printing
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:30 am »

I am attempting to setup pass thru printing on a SCO system. The instructions that I got from the installation CD call for a file icelpd to be copied from the installation disc. It is not there. I am using version 7.10a/32 which goes back a ways. Are these instructions still good, should i be upgrading? Appreciate your help.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Pass thru printing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:33:33 am »

If you are using PLUS you should also see a build number in the "about dejawint" selection under help. What is the build?

Passthrough printing doesn't require a piece on the unix side.

Icelpd is only used for printing when you are using the unix spooler.

Passthrough printing works by the application sending a escape sequence which redirects the stream of bytes coming into Dejawint to the printer. There is also a stop sequence to turn that off and return to normal terminal operation.

For passthrough printing to work properly the application on the unix side and the unix terminal type and the ice terminal type all must match.
The most common terminal type for Dejawint for passthrough printing is wyse 60 24 lines.

Give this a try. Let us know if you have more questions.

Permatop

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:13 am »

The build is 0. The terminal type is set to wyse 60 24 lines on the win side. How do I check the teminal type on the sco side?

Thanks Roger

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

The terminal type on the sco side is automatically set from the terminal type in Dejawint so it should be correct.

So the big question is what method of printing is your application using?

As a side question, do you have this printing elsewhere or is this the first time you are trying to do printing?

Permatop

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:36:18 am »

I am printing on the sco side thru parallel and serial ports. All the terminal are wireless win boxes. All the printers are usb. I don't have a win box with a parallel port on it. Every thing now has only usb. The application I am printing from on the sco side is a database program called FILEPRO.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:29:40 pm »

So, is this the first PC that you have ever tried to setup to do remote printing?

(and by remote printing, I mean printing that is NOT to a printer that is physically connected to the unix box).

Permatop

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:48:02 pm »

Yes, this is the first time I have tried to print to a printer connected to a work station and not the unix system.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:57:08 am »

Ok then you will need to find out if your app supports pass-through printing. If so, you should just be able to select pass-through (the spelling may be different) in the application. Otherwise, you are probably restricted to spooled printers and then will need to setup IceLP. The instructions for setting up IceLP are on the CD in the Doc folder at the top level of the disk (use explorer to see it). The necessary sco unix files are there as well \Tools\ICE.TCP\UNIX

Permatop

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:30:09 am »

I will need to set up spool printing. If you know of anyone I can hire to do this for me I would appreciate it. If not I will try to deal with it when I return, 0ut of town for 2 weeks. Thanks

larryp7639

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »

Ok then you will need to find out if your app supports pass-through printing. If so, you should just be able to select pass-through (the spelling may be different) in the application. Otherwise, you are probably restricted to spooled printers and then will need to setup IceLP. The instructions for setting up IceLP are on the CD in the Doc folder at the top level of the disk (use explorer to see it). The necessary sco unix files are there as well \Tools\ICE.TCP\UNIX

me too

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:23:39 am by Bob »

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.