ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Color of blinking cursor in WYSE60 on Telnet Pro  (Read 4216 times)

Allison A

• I'm am NOT a llama!
Color of blinking cursor in WYSE60 on Telnet Pro
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »

Hi,

We are still using WYSE60 to connect to a Unix server (running Solaris 10).  We are using Telnet Pro 5.1.19.

I am trying to understand how to configure the color of the blinking cursor, and nothing I have tried seems to control the color of the cursor.  The only thing that seems to change it is the background color attribute, which automatically sets a contrasting color (see below).

I have been using the color information in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,689.0.html

I assumed the attributes I needed were these:
ESC[=CR   Set blink char foreground color
ESC[=CS   Set blink char fackground color

But they have no affect.  I have also tried the underline codes, reverse video codes, foreground, background, etc, but the cursor color only seems affected by background color:

Here is the test program I wrote to keep it simple:
#!/bin/sh

echo "\033[=14F"
echo "\033[=1G"

tput clear

The first line is fine, the text color is always yellow.  But when I change the value for the G, I seem to get some type of complimentary color for the blinking cursor based on the RGB values of the background color.  So color 1 for example (blue) is coded as 0,0,128, so the cursor ends up as 255, 255, 128, which is yellow.

The real issue here is one of our programmers wants to use a grey background (color eight), but can't see the cursor.  The reason is it's color code is 128, 128, 128 so the cursor is set to 128, 128, 128 too.  Is there an attribute that controls this value so we can set it ourselves?  Maybe it's one of the codes listed but I'm just not making the connection.

Thanks,
Allison Andrews
Epson Portland Inc

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Color of blinking cursor in WYSE60 on Telnet Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:20 pm »

Hi,

We are still using WYSE60 to connect to a Unix server (running Solaris 10).  We are using Telnet Pro 5.1.19.

I am trying to understand how to configure the color of the blinking cursor, and nothing I have tried seems to control the color of the cursor.  The only thing that seems to change it is the background color attribute, which automatically sets a contrasting color (see below).

I have been using the color information in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,689.0.html

I assumed the attributes I needed were these:
ESC[=CR   Set blink char foreground color
ESC[=CS   Set blink char background color

But they have no affect.  I have also tried the underline codes, reverse video codes, foreground, background, etc, but the cursor color only seems affected by background color:
Those escape sequences define the colors for the equivalent of a blinking character attribute on a wyse60. The cursor isn't a character, it's a cursor so those codes have no effect on it.

The real issue here is one of our programmers wants to use a grey background (color eight), but can't see the cursor.  The reason is it's color code is 128, 128, 128 so the cursor is set to 128, 128, 128 too.  Is there an attribute that controls this value so we can set it ourselves?  Maybe it's one of the codes listed but I'm just not making the connection.
It seems to me the easiest way to achieve what you want is to change the values by altering the profile. I tried several foreground colors with a gray background and always got a visable cursor. Just remember to change all of the color mappings in the profile to sane values, not just the normal foreground and normal background colors.

Allison A

• I'm am NOT a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

Thanks for your reply, but we really want to control this within the control codes.  We have various databases on multiple servers and they are color-coded.  The programmer wants to use the gray background for a new database and we can control most of the settings, but when she goes to a prompt she loses her cursor.

Are you saying that despite all of the controls over blinking characters, foreground, background, reverse video, etc, there is no code that controls the blinking cursor color?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:22 pm »

Thanks for your reply, but we really want to control this within the control codes.  We have various databases on multiple servers and they are color-coded.  The programmer wants to use the gray background for a new database and we can control most of the settings, but when she goes to a prompt she loses her cursor.
Make sure you set all of the complimentary codes as well as just the foreground and background. This is necessary since when the app sends the escape sequence for bold or blink or reverse video or some combination of those, your colors will shift.
Are you saying that despite all of the controls over blinking characters, foreground, background, reverse video, etc, there is no code that controls the blinking cursor color?
IIRC, we don't even set the cursor at all, it's a windows hardware cursor.

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 20 queries.