ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: XP Pro Adminstrator Permissions  (Read 1175 times)

timothy_ayr

XP Pro Adminstrator Permissions
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:35 am »

I have installed TCP Pro on a new machine here at our office running XP Pro SP2.  When Telnet Pro is launched from the local administrator login, the program functions as normal, and I am able to save and alter profiles, ie, to have Telnet Pro login automatically to the host and remember appearance settings.  However, when I log in as a global adminstrator, which is how the user will be logging in most times as that is how he logs into the server, the settings will not save.  The host address needs to be typed in manually each time as well as the individual settings.  I have read the posts regarding this at http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,247.0.html (permissions to j_river folder) and I tried to log in as the global administrator and delete the registry key.  Unfortunately it gives me an error when I try to do that, as apparently the global administrator doesn't have sufficient priveleges to alter the registry.  As a workaround, I can run Telnet Pro as the local administrator and it works fine, though it would be simpler to just have the program save the profile.  Any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re: XP Pro Adminstrator Permissions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 12:05:20 pm »

Hi Timothy,

Not being able to delete the registry entry (I'm assuming the one in HKEY_CURRENT_USER) is exactly the reason TelnetPro can't save the settings. The global administrator account doesn't have permission to write to OR delete that registry entry, so neither can TelnetPro when running under that account.

What you need to do is log in as local administrator and figure out how to give the global administrator full permissions for that part of the registry. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about how to manage permissions in XP, so I can't help you there. Once you get the permissions set properly, you probably won't need to delete the registry entry.

JimN

timothy_ayr

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:48:03 pm »

Thanks JimN, that is what I figured.  I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is...according to the local administrator the global administrator has exactly the same permissions.  In reality though the global admin doesn't, or else it would be able to edit the registry.  I suppose I'll have to research it with Microsoft, unless someone else has had experience with this problem.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:02:05 am »

Permissions in windows are unusual. There is no equivalent of a unix superuser that can change anything. You may have to be logged in as a domain admin if that is how it was created. You also need to copy the permissions down the key so everything can be deleted. See the instructions regarding problems one gets from installing very old versions of PRO on 2000 / XP.
http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,210.0.html

Page created in 0.009 seconds with 20 queries.