INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck! Importing from server to client  (Read 1604 times)

huntrm

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Stuck! Importing from server to client
« on: October 22, 2003, 03:36:05 pm »

I rip'd all of my CDs using MJ8 on my server computer, as well as organized all information on the music (album covers, tags, etc).  Am now working with MusicLobby, where I must now put JRiver on a client HTPC.

With this new install of JRiver on the client, I'm trying to:

a) Link to my library on the server
b) Import the music information from the server into the JRiver client install (not the actual rip'd music)
c) Preserve all location/tag/image information

Of course, all the music is listed under a C: drive for location according to the library - but only on the server, not the client.  Therefore, the client PC w/ JRiver cannot locate the music to play, much less it can properly organize based on my server library.

What can I do?  I've tried quite a bit w/ JRiver trying to do this.

Seems like all I need to do is do a FIND/REPLACE on the tags for both images and file location from C:\music\* to \\MediaServer\music\* - I think this would solve it.

Thanks.

huntrm

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Stuck! Importing from server to client
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 04:07:11 pm »

Through persistence, I discoverd FILE, PROPERTIES, then TOOLS, where there's a FIND/REPLACE function.

This allowed me to wildcard find/replace the C: drive to the file server.  I need to also do this for file images.

Finally, I'm getting read/write errors to the library since it's located on the file server.  

CRITICAL error:  Media jukebox failed to save a necessary database file.

Saving: \\Mediaserver\Data\temp.jmd

As: \\Mediaserver\Data\Mediafiles.jmd

Any ideas?  I've got full read/write enabled on the server where the DATA library for JRiver is located.  I can manually both write/read/delete/modify in this directory and subdirectories.

huntrm

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 06:26:50 pm »

I'm continuing to get critical errors, even when saving the library to the C:\ drive on the client PC.  Same error as cited above.  Any ideas?

I did a complete uninstall - removed all components, removed/deleted directory, and the reinstalled.

Is the library possibly corrupt that I'm restoring?

NOTE:  Even after reinstalling, and asking it to search the drives for media, it freezes up.  Also, I've done a RegClean twice.

AMD 2500+ Asus A7N8X Del

huntrm

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 09:44:47 pm »

Okay, guess I'm playing tech support here.  Anyway, I got it to work.  Here's how:

1) Started up JRiver

2) Immediately got errors on being to write to the Data\temp.jmd and Data\Mediafiles.jmd

3) Open up Data folder and deleted these two files - almost like a reset with the program being open

4) Made a few changes in JRiver, and I'm guessing these files were completely re-created

Made my changes, and no longer getting the errors - seems like the temp and mediafiles are working fine now. 8)

I'm guessing if you get the same errors that I did, this might work for you - but first recommend you backup your library and make sure that you delete the files while JRiver is open and you've got the library up and running.

Not bad for llama..... ;D

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 10:28:05 am »

Sorry, I was away yesterday, glad you got it working.

Did you try Media Server (tools->more tools->media server...)?

j

huntrm

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 12:33:15 pm »

I tried it - not up to speed on the documentation, so I didn't really know how it should be used as well as what client I would use to access it.  I just need to do some reading on it.

I am trying MusicLobby with their JRiver plugin, and it's not going well.  Thumbnails/pictures are showing in their client, but when you click an album to play, no music, freezes/slowness in the application.  Now on to troubleshooting that issue.

Thanks.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 01:21:37 pm »

I'm not familiar with MusicLobby. But if the client is a PC (you mentioned a HTPC), then you can just run Media Server on the server, and MJ8 on the client. You may need to upgrade to MC9 (on both machines) for cover art to work.

j

mcascio

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 02:36:51 pm »

huntrm,

Something happened along the way with our updates to the plugin when using MJ8 regarding cover art.

Can you test with MC9?  There doesn't appear to be any problems with that version.

We're looking into the problem now.

BTW, is anyone using the Matrix Orbital LCD plugin available? This will push the name of the song and artist from J River's software onto an LCD.  YOu can even set it up to configure the arrow keys on their hardware to play the next song and previous song among many other things.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar
http://www.cinemaronline.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up