INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Question with featured artists  (Read 1498 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging Question with featured artists
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:32 am »

I like to update my music's tag by copying any artists that have been included in the title tag as "feat. X" or "ft. X" into the artist's field with a semicolon after the main artist so that the song shows up under that featured artist.  

However, doing it manually is a tedious process of going through each track one by one.  Is there a fast method to do this?  

edit: Also, could we create a subforum for just the discussion of tagging and library management?  I feel one place where users from all different platforms and OS's can go to would be more effective.  Thanks!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Question with featured artists
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:02 am »

The problem is all of the databases use different ways of listing featured artists (ft., feat., etc) so drawing from a database is poor

You could do a search and replace one at a time (replace ft. with a delimited ; then feat. Etc) this may get at least some of them right and cut down a bit of the manual effort...

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Question with featured artists
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:01 am »

I only have a handful of those types of entries in my library, so my ability to test is limited.  Based on that, I've developed an expression that looks for "feat" and then an optional dot ( . ) and optional space (  ) and then the name of the artist, discarding any trailing parenthesis characters [ ( or ) ].

On *my* system, this works 100%.  YMMV.  :)  Also, you'd probably want to run this once to get all of the "feat", and then develop another expression for the rest of your cases like "ft.".  I can help tweak my expression *some*, but without being able to test it myself, it's kinda tough.  Here's the expression.  I'm using it as an expression column.  Add an "=" to the front to make it paste-able to replace the Artist field.

Code: [Select]
if(regex([Name],/#.+feat\.* *([^\)\(]+)#/,0,0),[Artist];[R1],[Artist])
I hope this helps.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up