INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse Scroll Wheel as TV Zoom OR Jump Forward / Back?  (Read 4502 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Mouse Scroll Wheel as TV Zoom OR Jump Forward / Back?
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »

Have noticed that the Mouse Scroll Wheel behaves differently (and unpredictably) depending on what the state of the TV is in...

* When playing back a recorded TV episode... Mouse does a Jump Forward or Jump Back through the time of the episode (this is what I like & want it to do all the time).

* For all others...
   - Watching a channel that is not being recorded... Mouse does a Zoom In / Out.
   - Watching a channel that IS currently being recorded... Mouse does a Zoom In / Out.
   - Watching a channel in time-shift mode... Mouse does a Zoom In / Out.

How do I change the mouse behavior to always Jump Forward / Back & not Zoom?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Mouse Scroll Wheel as TV Zoom OR Jump Forward / Back?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »

The scroll wheel functionality changes based on where you hover the cursor:
Hover over the volume slider, and it adjusts the volume up and down.
Hover over the program timeline, and it jumps forward and backward.

In my installation, on a Client, hover over the video program itself, and it still jumps forward and backward.

It is only when playing TV on the MC Server itself that the scroll wheel, or touch pad scroll in my case, zooms the image.

Anyway, if you hover over the program timeline, it always jumps forward and backward. Maybe there is a default action setting somewhere. I couldn't find it though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:16:44 am »

The scroll wheel functionality changes based on where you hover the cursor:

My results are different (you on a server?), I'm not... single desktop PC.

Hover over the volume slider, and it adjusts the volume up and down.

This works only for me on the main audio slider on the main MC screen. It has no effect on volume when hovering over the TV volume slider. In fact, when doing that scrolling the mouse wheel will immediately change the volume slider to Zoom.

Hover over the program timeline, and it jumps forward and backward.

This works only for me AFTER a recording has been made & is being played back. When I hover over the program timeline WHILE a recording is going on it goes to Zoom. In fact, as my opening post mentioned it ALWAYS goes to Zoom except playing back a recording after it had completed the recording.

Anyway, if you hover over the program timeline, it always jumps forward and backward. Maybe there is a default action setting somewhere. I couldn't find it though.

I looked for anything that referred to mouse (including the WIKI) but not much mentioned.  Looks like we have a red-head step-child here (little mouse support).

So, it looks like you & I are getting different mouse responses....

The Mouse Scroll Wheel behaves differently (and unpredictably) depending on what the state of the TV is in (& possibly if you are on a server or not).

Seems that we need a better method for mouse usage, possibly a mouse setup screen.

TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 05:45:53 pm »

I tested on my HTPC MC Server, and on my workstation MC Client, with different results on each, as noted. I was in Theatre View.

In fact, when doing that scrolling the mouse wheel will immediately change the volume slider to Zoom.

Does this mean that the volume slider image changes to a zoom slider image? I have never seen a zoom slider image. When I hover the mouse over the volume slider, and use the mouse wheel, MC just adjusts the visible volume slider.

There is definitely a difference between mouse wheel functionality on the Server and a Client. I just tested the OSD Zoom functionality on my Client, and that does work, while the mouse wheel doesn't.

The mouse wheel functionality changing volume and jumping has been discussed a few times in the forum. Sometimes forum searches don't seem to find everything, but a Google search of the forums may.

I am wondering if it is the Windows Mouse setup, or the driver/software installed for the mouse, that is sending different commands to MC on different installations. I know Logitech's SetPoint software, which I am using on the Client, can change a lot about the mouse functionality.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:09:03 pm »

Does this mean that the volume slider image changes to a zoom slider image? I have never seen a zoom slider image. When I hover the mouse over the volume slider, and use the mouse wheel, MC just adjusts the visible volume slider.

Are you referring to the TV volume slider at the TOP of the main MC screen?  I'm referring to the TV image as a channel is playing. On all but playing back a fully recorded TV program (such as NCIS) any slider on the BOTTOM of the TV image screen will change to zoom.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:23:06 pm »

I am wondering if it is the Windows Mouse setup, or the driver/software installed for the mouse, that is sending different commands to MC on different installations. I know Logitech's SetPoint software, which I am using on the Client, can change a lot about the mouse functionality.

I use Logitech's LGS Gaming software to control my...
* G600 Mouse.
* G910 Orion Spark Keyboard.
* G930 Head phones.

Have tried several changes to the mouse portion of the software to control this problem.  Have also tried setting the mouse up in MC's Remote Control Commands but it will not accept the scroll wheel as an input for Jump Forward & Jump Back. Right now I'm using two of the G600's 12 side buttons for Jump Forward & Jump Back thru MC's Remote Control Commands but there is a noticeable lag doing it this way. When the Scroll Wheel does work (only on a fully recorded program) it works very smoothly without hesitation. I suspect that may be due to it being a more direct command than going thru MC's Remote Control Commands.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:45:12 pm »

I should have also mentioned that all my TV viewing is (so far) only in Standard View; looks like you are in Theater View? That may also be part of the differences we are seeing. The two views may for some reason or another handle mouse inputs slightly different.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 07:07:34 pm »

I was referring to hovering the mouse over the volume and timeline sliders at the top of the Theatre View screen in full screen mode. Move the mouse to the top of the screen and both these show, along with the Stop, Pause/Play, FF buttons. I also tested just hovering the mouse over the TV video playing in Theatre View, and this does zoom the image, but it just gives me a percentage number showing how much the image is zoomed. (I think... I don't think there was a slider below that number. I'll check again later.)

Using Standard View could be a reason. Do you watch TV in a detached window at full screen, or at a smaller size, or do you just start playing media and it shows in full screen?

If you let me know, I can test on my HTPC MC Server when I get a chance. For now let's ignore the mouse software as a possible cause.

You ask so many questions, you should put a brief description of how you use MC in your forum signature, just to remind us of how you are set up. That would help a lot in answering questions.

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 07:27:27 pm »

Using Standard View could be a reason. Do you watch TV in a detached window at full screen, or at a smaller size, or do you just start playing media and it shows in full screen?

Standard View, Full Screen, Not detached.

You ask so many questions, you should put a brief description of how you use MC in your forum signature, just to remind us of how you are set up. That would help a lot in answering questions.

Great idea  :o  Not sure what to put there as I use MC for both Audio playback & TV; audio in the day, TV at night.

For the time being I will enter TV info as that is my main concern currently.

Any other items you could suggest would be much appreciated. Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:47:12 pm »

Okay. I had some time waiting for someone, so I had a look on the MC Server.

Standard View Full Screen works pretty much like Theatre View. If you move your mouse to the top of the screen, the sliders and media buttons should pop down in a box of their own. The when you hover over either slider, volume or timeline, the mouse scroll button should move that slider.

That was true for both live TV and recorded TV.

------------------------------------

However, when the mouse is over a TV video, I also see a difference between live and recorded TV, as you did.

On live or time shifted TV the image is zoomed in and out, and the zoomed percentage is shown at the bottom of the screen.
On recorded TV the image is jumped back and forward on the timeline, and the timeline bar shows at the bottom of the screen.

So I guess the answer to your original question may be there is no way to change the behaviour in live TV. Maybe it is intentional, since recorded TV tends to have had its zoom level set to "Full Screen" by default, and if it is zoomed at all, that information is saved in the [Playback Info] tag associated with the file. Whereas live or timeshift live TV may need to be zoomed to fit the screen properly.

The answer to the problem though, seems to be to move your mouse to the top of the screen, hover over the timeline and then use the mouse scroll wheel. Not quite as straightforward as just using the scroll wheel with the mouse at any position, but it works. Maybe using two of your mouse buttons is a better solution.

-------------------------------

You might like to include in your signature:
The version(s) of MC you are running, and the date you upgraded to it, like my signature.
Your Windows version, including 32/64bit, Service Packs, etc.
Your TV tuner makes and models, how they are connected (network, USB, PCIe), and maybe firmware and driver versions.
Sound card or USB DAC make and model, driver and firmware.
How you control MC, MCE Remote/JRemote/Keyboard etc.
The type of TV reception you are using, OTA, ATSC/DVB-T(2), cable, set top boxes
EPG Source, OTA/mc2xml, Standard, Microsoft
How you are using MC, i.e. Standard View only, Audio and TV, standalone on one PC, no Clients, no network involved (?), Audiophile level music reproduction or just basic playing music (like me  :D), Blu-ray & DVD playback or just ripped videos. Also, Novice and Experienced user in which areas of MC.
Then anything else that makes sense, like areas of MC you are having trouble with now, areas you have mastered, etc. Some people list their separate audio equipment as well, which sometimes helps and is often interesting.

Those are just ideas. Share what you are happy to share. Sometimes seeing some of the additional information allows people who are helping to judge (guess) your level of technical expertise, and therefore provide answers at the appropriate level. Of course, sometimes we guess completely wrong! But it is a starting point.

In case you are wondering, she whom I was waiting for has changed her mind about what she wants to do today, so I had more time for an answer.  ::)

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:39 pm »

Wonderful suggestions, all.  I will start modifying my forum signature right now.  Thanks again.

In case you are wondering, she whom I was waiting for has changed her mind about what she wants to do today, so I had more time for an answer.

LOL... sounds VERY familiar  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up