INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio in MC21  (Read 3074 times)

Brobdidnag

• Recent member
Audio in MC21
« on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:50 pm »

Hi,
I use MC primarily as a music player, although I do use it for video also (because it has the best sound!).
I have previously purchased 16, 17 and I now have 19. Each has offered me sufficient reason to upgrade because of enhancements to the audio side of things that have all made a real difference to the quality of my listening experience.
What prevented me upgrading to 20, and is now having the same effect with 21, is that nothing significant has been 'improved' audio-wise, since 19 - at least of which I am aware.
I understand that there is a limit to how much 'better' things can be made, especially with digital audio. I think this limit was more or less reached in MC19 - it has everything I need to make it the 'perfect' audio player, and I have been happily using it every day for the last three years, without a single problem, or any feeling that there are things I want that it cannot do.
On the other hand, I like it so much that I do feel inclined to support JRiver, so I always consider upgrading simply to help fund continued development and support.
So, the point is this. Is there anything sonically significant (I only ever play APE CD rips at 44.1khz) that 21 does that 19 didn't?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audio in MC21
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:01:25 am »

There is a free 30 day trial period on MC21. Why don't you just try it and see what you think?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:33:22 am »

Hi,
What prevented me upgrading to 20, and is now having the same effect with 21, is that nothing significant has been 'improved' audio-wise, since 19 - at least of which I am aware.

I do believe MC20 did have a major update for music, something to do with the analysis process. I'm not going to do the research for you tho. If a person likes a product then stick with it. I have no use for the tv features but don't mind getting in on the initial updates as it is a minimal cost and supports a product I use and enjoy. I have only been around since MC18 tho.....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Brobdidnag

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »

There is a free 30 day trial period on MC21. Why don't you just try it and see what you think?

I may just do that, thanks.

Brobdidnag

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »

I do believe MC20 did have a major update for music, something to do with the analysis process. I'm not going to do the research for you tho. If a person likes a product then stick with it. I have no use for the tv features but don't mind getting in on the initial updates as it is a minimal cost and supports a product I use and enjoy. I have only been around since MC18 tho.....

Well I have read what is posted on the JRiver site, and browsed the posts here from time to time, but I can't find anything about fundamental audio improvements since the R128 analysis came in with 19, which is why I posted here in the hope that somebody might know about something and could inform me of it. I skipped 18 for the same reason - it didn't do anything significant that 17 didn't. The R128 analysis (plus a couple of other things I have now forgotten) swung me for 19....which has remained wonderfully perfect ever since.

Anyway, I am not in any way intending to have a go at JRiver or MC, I am merely curious.

Brobdidnag

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:25:30 am »

Problem solved. I have bought it  ;D

Does it sound better? Probably not, considering the level of quality that had already been achieved by MC, and I've not found anything in the sound options that is different from 19, at least as far as my basic stereo playback requirements go. It just sounds, er, perfect, or rather it doesn't sound of anything at all, it just lets the music through, which is what I want.

I like the latest styling touches. And it seems to use remarkably little in the way of system resources when playing music, a bit less that 19 I think, suggesting underlying improvements to the code. It feels slick and smooth in use. Very impressive.

Congratulations to JRiver on another worthwhile refinement of the best software media player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up