INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uninstalling MC20  (Read 1908 times)

herbg

Uninstalling MC20
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:22:28 pm »

Perhaps a dumb question ... now that MC21.06 is installed, I noticed that MC20 remains installed.

I assume that uninstalling MC20 is the next step but are there any do's and don'ts that I should be aware of before I do a normal Windows uninstall?

Thanks,
Herb...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Uninstalling MC20
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:04:26 pm »

Perhaps a dumb question ... now that MC21.06 is installed, I noticed that MC20 remains installed.

I assume that uninstalling MC20 is the next step but are there any do's and don'ts that I should be aware of before I do a normal Windows uninstall?

Thanks,
Herb...

Never a dumb question. Though we aren't supposed to be discussing stuff in this thread, just reporting bugs, for future reference. You should start a separate thread for such questions. However, ...

I always leave the previous version of MC installed for a couple of months after upgrading.

Yes, you need to do at least this: Close MC21 Client and Server, then run MC20 once before you try to uninstall it. You may be asked by UAC to allow MC20 to make itself defaults or similar. Okay that.
Then uninstall MC20.
Then run MC21 again, and then UAC may ask to set MC21 as default, or similar.

In the past an uninstall wouldn't work unless the previous version had been run once again first. That is what I am addressing here. I don't think that issue has been fixed, as it is a Windows issue.

Also, in MC21 check the Options/File Location settings to see if anything is still pointed back to a MC20 location, and change them to a MC21 location. I found that the Backup location remained set to the previous version's location unless I changed it manually, from MC19 to MC20, and MC20 to MC21 at least. This is to retained access to previous backups during the upgrade I assume, but it should be fixed. Then you can delete old MC20 folders that are no longer required. The Temporary Files location may be the same. Can't remember.

Also note that the Cover Art directory, if you are using a separate directory, isn't moved or copied over to MC21. If you haven't copied/moved that manually, you have probably been downloading Cover Art again, or you are missing some now. Fix that before uninstalling.

That is all I can think of for now.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

herbg

Re: Uninstalling MC20
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:47 am »

Thank you!  I will follow your recommendations!

Cheers,
Herb...
Pages: [1]   Go Up