INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library view not changing to reflect changes in tags  (Read 1594 times)

Mr. B Gone

Library view not changing to reflect changes in tags
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:18:14 am »

I have changed some of the artist tags of some of the albums in my library so the artist will be listed as the origional composer and not the conductor or orchestra.  My library view, when set to sort by artist, is still listing my albums by the original artist tag that it was ripped with and not the one that I changed it to.  Also I have tried both update tags to and from library and neither worked.

*I also had this same problem in JRiver 20, plus I am using FLAC files.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library view not changing to reflect changes in tags
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:32 am »

If I am following you have probably made the wrong choice -- instead of the [Artist] field, it should be the [AlbumArtist] field or [AlbumArtist (auto)] field

The sort order is one thing, the grouping order is another. JRiver uses the album artist AND the album name to group invidual records together as a unique identifier.

To not waste your time spent, you can select files and with your cursor in the Tag window Album Artist field you can type or paste this

Code: [Select]
=[Artist]

This will copy all of the artist data you have made into that field.  You should do a test first say with 10 albums selected, to see if this is what you want to achieve (I might have misunderstood :D ) ... and certainly before doing the entire library. Make a manual backup of you database first.

Another way of testing this if you have a large collection is in a Pane View add an expression column, and in the wizard

I do this for classical music only .. if so this is what I do. Be careful though this should not be done for compilation albums (multiple artists) -- if you have multiple composers you could create a general one like Various Composers. Usually you wouldn't want to do this for Jazz or Pop music.

Mr. B Gone

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:28:18 am »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I'm a little anal and this has been bugging the heck out of me for the last year!  When I load a Beethoven album onto my computer I want it sorted under Beethoven not the recording orchestra.  I've also been able to create a special multiple artist field for jazz master's collaborations.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:24:49 am »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I'm a little anal and this has been bugging the heck out of me for the last year!  When I load a Beethoven album onto my computer I want it sorted under Beethoven not the recording orchestra.  I've also been able to create a special multiple artist field for jazz master's collaborations.

Sure, glad it helped. I'm really OCD, about my collection too. For Jazz and classical I use Soloists extensively ... I have a custom field for "Work" for classical, and I'm thinking of adding an "Opus" field now  - not to mention multiple sub-genres, styles and period fields I use  ;D

Just a tip if I may, you will probably change your mind on how your views work and what information you want to access as you get to know JRiver more. So, I would recommend keeping fields like Artist, Composer, Orchestra fields intact. Even if they are redundant sometimes. 'eg. currently for classical I use the orchestra/ensemble for the Artist, Composer as Album Artist, and add the last name of the conductor as the Album Name to separate different versions. The orchestra field and composer field still remain populated. If there are primary players, singers - they will be under soloists ... if I change my mind again, I can simply transfer one of these elements to another field.

As you can have multiple artists per record (track), is usually better to use Various Artists (or Various Composers - for classical if you use the composer for the Album Artist field, I find this handy) for compilations. I Have changed my classical views three times already and having the data in other fields, you can always change your mind relatively effortlessly.

You probably want to create a specific view(s) just for classical music though. As the sorting orders probably won't be the same, nor what you want to filter by.
Pages: [1]   Go Up