INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library View Sorting Question  (Read 3663 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Library View Sorting Question
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:57 am »

Hi all,

I'm puzzled by how Library views are sorted and labeled.

In the first attachment, it shows that sort is by name, but I'm not even sure what that refers to since I am looking at some variation of artist and my understanding is that [name] refers to a track name.

In the second attachment, I see sorting as I the Library view is actually doing it.

• Why and how are these different?
  • What does the first attachment represent.
  • Where is it specified what field is used to show the Album Artist (in my case).

I'm sure this is obvious but I'm missing it.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library View Sorting Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:04:20 am »

In the first attachment, it shows that sort is by name, but I'm not even sure what that refers to since I am looking at some variation of artist and my understanding is that [name] refers to a track name.

You are right.  This is a VERY confusing point.  [Name] can refer to different field names depending on the context.  For example, if you have a categories view that shows first the Artist, and then the Album, [Name] will refer to Artist at the first level, and Album in the second level!   [Name] becomes a shortcut for whatever category you happen to be in at the time.  You can see how this would simplify thumbnail text, for example.

In the second attachment, I see sorting as I the Library view is actually doing it.

Your second attachment shows the Categories View definition on the left.  That's not a sorting field.  It's a categories list field.  In your case, the first category is ArtistAutoSort.  The second category is Album.  ArtistAutoSort is NOT a standard MC field, so I'm not sure what it is.  Probably a custom field you added to your library?

• What does the first attachment represent.
That's definitely the sorting applied to that level of the view.  It will be sorting by the ArtistAutoSort field.  Because you're at the first level of that Categories View, and that first level uses ArtistAutoSort.  So [Name] becomes an alias for ArtistAutoSort.

Where is it specified what field is used to show the Album Artist (in my case).

I'm not sure I understand that question.  Hopefully I've helped you figure out how this all works.

If you can't get this View to work as you are wanting it to, maybe take a different approach:  Outline what you want displayed and sorted, and maybe we can point out how to do that in the interface.

Good luck.

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:09 am »

Brian, thanks so much for your response.

You are right.  This is a VERY confusing point.  [Name] can refer to different field names depending on the context.  For example, if you have a categories view that shows first the Artist, and then the Album, [Name] will refer to Artist at the first level, and Album in the second level!   [Name] becomes a shortcut for whatever category you happen to be in at the time.  You can see how this would simplify thumbnail text, for example.

Ah! That explains a lot. Is this documented anywhere? I seem to always be learning more about MC.

Your second attachment shows the Categories View definition on the left.  That's not a sorting field.  It's a categories list field.  In your case, the first category is ArtistAutoSort.  The second category is Album.  ArtistAutoSort is NOT a standard MC field, so I'm not sure what it is.  Probably a custom field you added to your library?
That's definitely the sorting applied to that level of the view.  It will be sorting by the ArtistAutoSort field.  Because you're at the first level of that Categories View, and that first level uses ArtistAutoSort.  So [Name] becomes an alias for ArtistAutoSort.
Yes, ArtistAutoSort is an expression from an earlier thread. Basically, I wanted to sort by last name but display by First Name + Last Name. (E.g., Brian Eno appears alphabetically under the "E"s, but his name is presented as "Brian Eno". However, Jethro Tull is under the "J"s because that's how I want it to be.   :)

So, what I don't quite get yet is that I have the ArtistAutoSort working well ([ArtistAutoSort] = "Eno, Brian" in the example above. And it displays as "Brian Eno" which is good, but now I don't understand where [Name] is getting "Brian Eno" and not the [ArtistAutoSort]. Tricky.

If you can't get this View to work as you are wanting it to, maybe take a different approach:  Outline what you want displayed and sorted, and maybe we can point out how to do that in the interface.
[\quote]

That may very well be the next step!

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:45 am »

I'm not 100% following you, but maybe I can add a little info:

The text you see displayed under each album is called Thumbnail Text.  You can view and edit this by clicking on the header (same place you got the sort menu from), then Thumbnails > Thumbnail text.

As for the [name] thing being documented... maybe ?  I read about it in a guide to customizing Views written by Marko. (Marco?).

Ask if you need more help.  :)

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »

The text you see displayed under each album is called Thumbnail Text.  You can view and edit this by clicking on the header (same place you got the sort menu from), then Thumbnails > Thumbnail text.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll play a bit with that this weekend.

As for the [name] thing being documented... maybe ?  I read about it in a guide to customizing Views written by Marko. (Marco?).
Please post if you find it. Perhaps it can also be moved into the wiki (if not already there).

Ask if you need more help.  :)
Thank you very much.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 04:33:14 pm »

I found the article I was thinking of.  But it doesn't mention the Name thing!  I kinda, sorta, maybe remember an article by Mr. C that talked about it.  Maybe.  :)

The article I was thinking of is really good though.  If you haven't seen it, you should:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

It was linked from the Wiki here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Standard_Media_Views

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:21:20 pm »

...and through the magic of the Internet I've located the article that discusses [Name] and how it is used in context.  From Mr. C as I half remembered.  :)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82843.0

Enjoy.

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:56:05 am »

...and through the magic of the Internet I've located the article that discusses [Name] and how it is used in context.  From Mr. C as I half remembered.  :)

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82843.0

Enjoy.

Brian.
Awesome! Thank you so much. I *think* I have it the way I want now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up