INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snap not working for multi monitor environments  (Read 3014 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Snap not working for multi monitor environments
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »

Windows snapping is not working for me with Windows 10 and multi monitor setup any more. Neither dragging a window to a side nor using [window key] and [left arrow] or [right arrow] is snapping any more. It only works by dragging at the outer border of my first and third monitor but never at the middle monitor or using the keys.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Snap not working for multi monitor environments
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:26:45 pm »

I'm not sure those ever worked. MC is not a default Windows window, so the built-in snapping functions are not available.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

It did for me! It worked for windows 8, 8.1 and (I'm not absolutely sure) 7. The snapping using dragging via mouse not always worked, but using the keys always made MC snap.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:47:55 pm »

Hm I'll try. Making the buttons work shouldn't be too hard. The Drag-Snap on monitor borders is a bit trickier, but if it worked "randomly" before, maybe I can at least restore that state. Might be a common bug.
Even dragging "normal" windows, the snap to monitor-border on multi-monitor is a bit tricky, as you cannot move too fast or it will just go over, and annoying things like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:02 pm »

At least for me it would be enough to have ONE way doing the snap ;) Thanks for taking the time!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 02:41:45 pm »

It appears we don't implement any of these things ourselves, but the problem is that MC isn't quite compatible with what Windows expects a window to do to enable Aero Snap and all of its features.
If it worked on a previous windows version, then Microsoft changed some of the conditions that broke it. Our Main Window is quite special, so I'm not sure if we can make it work easily, but I'll keep looking.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:24 pm »

It appears we don't implement any of these things ourselves

I thought to remember a happy day when MC added the snapping ability. I'm sure there was a dedicated thread about this feature at that time but I cannot find it. But I found the build thread where the functionality was added :) It's here.
14.0.145 (02/15/2010)
1. NEW: Added Windows 7 snap-like functionality to the main application. (snaps to sides of displays, snaps to internal edges of multi-monitor systems, maximizes when snapping to top, works on any operating system)

I'm quiet sure it was implemented as a dedicated MC function unattached to the windows snap function.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »

I saw the manual snapping code, but that wouldn't explain why your Win-Left/Right keys worked once upon a time. We definitely don't do anything for those.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »

I'm not sure those ever worked. MC is not a default Windows window, so the built-in snapping functions are not available.

Snaps, or snapping, would be really nice for touch screens (as well as consistency with other programs).
Currently MC will snap to full screen when dragged to the top or half screen when dragged to the left of right.
It works OK for maximizing.

There are problems with MC's snapping.
When MC starts in full screen users should be able mouse over the top menu and drag MC down to minimize.
This doesn't work. Users have to double click the menu or click the minimize button.
Note that if MC is maximized by dragging to the top, it can then be minimized by dragging down.
It would be great to have this functionality without first having to minimize then maximize.

The area on MC's menu that you can grip to drag around starts too far down from the top.
It is easy to miss the area.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 06:49:51 am »

I saw the manual snapping code, but that wouldn't explain why your Win-Left/Right keys worked once upon a time. We definitely don't do anything for those.

Win+L/R/U/D never worked with MC.

If you get DisplayFusion you can replicate the functionality with its various hotkey commands though, and it works fine with MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up