INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 7083 times)

marcusturle

• World Citizen
Subtitles
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:43:20 am »

Does MC21 support subtitles?

I have an issue whereby subs are showing when I play video through our TV (subs are set as off), but do not show when playing through my MacBook Pro.

Why would this be?

John Smith

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:48:51 am »

I have an issue whereby subs are showing when I play video through our TV (subs are set as off), but do not show when playing through my MacBook Pro.

Why would this be?

Yes, MC21 for Mac now supports subtitles and I appreciate that. :)  There is a large field for improvements, but now we have basic features.

Open your desired media file, then just click right mouse button or click with two fingers on your trackpad -> some menu will appear -> choose Subtitles submenu  and you can pick existing subtitles from the list.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:29:25 am »

That's unusual.  Subtitles show on your TV, when playing videos in MC21.  But the same video, with the same settings, does NOT play subtitles on your MBP screen?

Double check your subtitle setting DURING playback to your TV:  Player > Display Options > Subtitles .

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the TV is picking up on some sort of Closed Captioning or something that might be embedded in the video stream.  Check the TV's Closed Captioning settings.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:42:58 am »

What is the full version number of MC?

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:02 am »

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »

Any insight on this from JRiver?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 05:08:33 pm »

Did you check what I asked above?

1.  Check your subtitle settings while playing to the TV.  Player > Display Options > Subtitles .  See what is selected or not selected.
2.  Check your TV's Closed Captioning settings.  Maybe it's pulling CC information from the video stream.

Brian.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:01:19 am »

Thanks.

As I said in my original post, subtitles in MC are set at off (Tools > Options > Subtitles & Language > Subtitle Mode: do not show subtitles).  There is no subtitles option, incidentally, within Player > Display Options.  This only brings up "Cover Art Style" and "Cover Art Scale".

I have also checked the TV (which doesn't pull subtitles from anything else in the way you suggest) and there is nothing to indicate why subtitles should be showing when they don't show on my laptop.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:41 am »

As I said in my original post, subtitles in MC are set at off (Tools > Options > Subtitles & Language > Subtitle Mode: do not show subtitles).  There is no subtitles option, incidentally, within Player > Display Options.  This only brings up "Cover Art Style" and "Cover Art Scale".

This second setting, under Player > Display Options, is the play time option.  That is, even if you have subtitles set to off by default (in Options), this menu lets you turn them on or off for each movie.  The fact that you're not seeing the settings under Player > Display Options indicates (I think) that you aren't trying this during movie playback.  I theorize that the settings for each display (laptop, TV, etc) are independent and can be set at play time.  You could need to check this setting *while* a movie is playing to the TV, from the TV display.

I have also checked the TV (which doesn't pull subtitles from anything else in the way you suggest) and there is nothing to indicate why subtitles should be showing when they don't show on my laptop.

I don't claim to know the answer.  I'm trying to help by offering suggestions.  Did you find the Closed Captioning settings on your TV?  I might be totally wrong, but it's the only other thing I can think of that would show text on your TV screen.

Maybe Hendrik will chime in here and offer some advice.

Brian.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:13:06 pm »

This second setting, under Player > Display Options, is the play time option.  That is, even if you have subtitles set to off by default (in Options), this menu lets you turn them on or off for each movie.  The fact that you're not seeing the settings under Player > Display Options indicates (I think) that you aren't trying this during movie playback.  I theorize that the settings for each display (laptop, TV, etc) are independent and can be set at play time.  You could need to check this setting *while* a movie is playing to the TV, from the TV display.

The options I get are the same whether during movie playback or not.  Player > Display Options only refers to "Cover Art Style" and "Cover Art Scale", there is no subtitle option within that command.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:55:28 pm »

Disclaimer: I'm using the Windows version of MC21.0.9, as I haven't updated my Mac version to MC21 yet.

First Marcusturle, how do you have your hardware set up?

a. Do you have a MC Server, that you connect your MBP to, or is the MBP a standalone installation?
b. How is your TV connected, and to what? The MBP via HDMI? Or do you use DLNA from a Server or the MBP to your TV?
c. Does this happen for all videos you play that have Subtitles associated with them, or just one video file?

I am assuming here that you were testing exactly the same file on your MBP and the TV.

Subtitles are configured at the system level and also at the file level.

Subtitles are set at the system level with MC Options/Video/Subtitles & Language. Here you say you have them turned off, which I assume means you have selected "Do not show subtitles" in those settings. That then, is the system default.

Subtitles can also be turned on and off at the file level using three methods;
1. Each video file has a "Playback Info" tag. If Subtitles are turned on for a file, that tag will contain something like this :"(1:3)(12:SubtitleSize)(1:1)(16:SubtitleTimingMS)(1:0)(14:SubtitleShiftY)(1:0)". If you delete that tag, the default Subtitle options will be used for it the next time it is played. If Subtitles have been turned on for a particular file, and you want to turn them off, you could edit the tag to do so. The tag with Subtitles turned off looks something like this: "(1:2)(7:Streams)(3:0,1)(9:Subtitles)(4:None)". Note that there may be other playback information in that tag, so be careful about deleting the whole contents. But usually that is what you can do.
If you use the other methods to turn Subtitles on or off for a file, this tag is where the settings are stored.
2. If you are playing a video that has Subtitles associated with it, you can press the up arrow to scroll through the OSD menu until you find the Subtitles settings. Note that there is a "Subtitles Timing" setting which is separate to turning the Subtitles on and off. When you find the Subtitles settings, you have the options of turning them on or off, or selecting which subtitle set you want played.
3. If you are playing a video that has Subtitles associated with it, you can "right click" and change the Subtitle setting through the menu that pops up. On Windows, right clicking provide immediate access to a Subtitles menu, on the first level, which sound similar to what John Smith reported. You don't need to go through the Player > Display Options menu. (I can't even check if that menu exists, but I assume it does, since Blgentry said it does.)

I also thought playback via DLNA may affect Subtitle display, though it shouldn't, but I checked anyway. I played a video file to my TV directly via a HDMI cable, and via DLNA from my HTPC to my Samsung TV. Subtitles worked correctly in both cases. On when they should be via defaults, or turned on by file, and off when turned off.

So if the above helps you understand what is going on and allows you to fix the problem, please let us know. Otherwise tell us about your hardware setup and we shall see if we can get any further.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 03:23:27 am »

If you stream the file to the TV in its original format (ie. without MC transcoding it), then the TV may also simply decide to show subtitles no matter what.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 03:59:23 am »

But if you set Subtitles off in the settings on your TV, then the TV should never show them I would have thought.

Then Subtitles could be completely controlled by MC, turning them on and off.

Certainly that is what I have done (turned Subtitles off on the TV, turn them on and off in MC), and it works fine.

It could be that Marcusturle has Subtitles turned on in the TV settings, and it finds them in the stream and plays them. Particularly if the source media came from a DVD or Blu-ray with Subtitles.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up