INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot recognize/rip CD from Pioneer drive on Mac  (Read 3476 times)

happy5

• Recent member
  • Media Center all the way...
Cannot recognize/rip CD from Pioneer drive on Mac
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:44:19 am »

Hello,

I'm finally running MC 21 on Mac  ;D ... most stable release version yet! It feels good to encode, tag, and organize the ole' music library just like I want.

I am using a USB blue-ray DVD drive (Mac Pioneer bdr-xd05w) to rip tracks into iTunes with no problems. With Media Center, the drive is recognized maybe 2 out of 5 times and always after re-starting Media Center and disconnecting disc drive. The error messages range from "there is no drive connected" to "cannot open CD" to (after initially reading the tracks and obtaining tag information from the internet) "cannot read tracks, insert CD again".

When I'm able to successfully rip a CD, I cannot rip another afterwards. I have to re-start MC several times, and disconnect the optical drive, before it works again. Under "Drives & Devices" the CD appears as: CD name (/dev/rdisk1)

I checked the Pioneer website and the drivers are up to date. I restarted the computer as well. Set-up: OS-X El Capitan (beta release 10.11), iMac 27 inch (late 2013 model) and the latest release of MC 21.  ?

Any thoughts about MC not consistently recognizing an external drive? I make sure to close all other programs prior to starting MC 21. If I leave iTunes open the disc just spins and never rips anything.

happy5

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:54:27 pm »

Thoughts?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot recognize/rip CD from Pioneer drive on Mac
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 12:07:39 am »

I've had inconsistent behavior with MC ripping CDs from my MBP's internal superdrive.  I use a third party (free) application instead and have it put its files into folder structure that MC monitors with auto import.  So the songs I rip from CDs show up in MC's library right away.  It's all basically automatic.

Brian.

happy5

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:32:55 am »

Can you PM me the application you are referring to? It would be good to have.

lkypeter

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:33:28 am »

A shareware XLD gives very good quality rips with error correction etc though it is slow. Guess need to sacrifice speed for quality

Can you PM me the application you are referring to? It would be good to have.

happy5

• Recent member
Re: Cannot recognize/rip CD from Pioneer drive on Mac
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »

Thanks for the recommendations.

What would be great is to actually figure out WHY is this happening. For an established program that does so many advanced functions, CD ripping should be an after thought.

Any specific instructions, crash logs or beta testing on my part that could help out here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up