INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id setup is slow?  (Read 2809 times)

Martin_EF

JRiver Id setup is slow?
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:06 am »

Dear all,

I installed my Id a couple of days ago and noticed quite a lag when skipping songs or CD's. Until now I used the Mediacenter (19 through 21) on my Mac with all the ALAC files located on a NAS in my wired home network.

The new setup is sort of like the the CAPS-Setup No. 3. For the setup I added the Id to my network (with a fixed IP address). I used the External Media Menu (20) to mount the adequate NAS folder to /mnt/DS415. Just for testing and installation I hooked up the Id to my TV and when everything worked fine, I hooked it up directly to the main switch (headless, just VNC connection). Then, I set up the MC21 on my Mac to use the Id's library. I can play the music fine, but notice a definite lag when skipping songs or albums of around 5 seconds. Reducing the cross fade doesn't help much.

Can you help me to understand the bottleneck?

Also: When switching libraries and choosing the Id's library all songs (around 4k) where found but not all cover art (although it can be seen in the MC of the Id)?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Martin   

Martin_EF

Re: JRiver Id setup is slow?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:19:59 pm »

solved the puzzle - on the MC21 (Mac) in the options for the media network the settings for audio were set to "convert if necessary" - I switched it to don't convert and now everything should be fine - at least the lag is gone. Or did I decrease audio quality doing so?

Best,
Martin

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id setup is slow?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:56:07 am »

solved the puzzle - on the MC21 (Mac) in the options for the media network the settings for audio were set to "convert if necessary" - I switched it to don't convert and now everything should be fine - at least the lag is gone. Or did I decrease audio quality doing so?

Best,
Martin
You most likely increased the quality by disabling the conversion. The only thing this may affect is the seek-ability. Some audio formats are not easily seekable when streamed over http.

Pages: [1]   Go Up