INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to EPG for Silicon Dust HR tuners ... how to epg in xml and import  (Read 12763 times)

tilly1615

• Recent member

Hi

I run JRiver 20.0.131 and have Silicon Dust HD Home Run with 3 tuners that has been working for 2 years with Windows Media Center.  I have Verizon FIOS as my provider

I'm a newbie (about an hour worth of experience) with using JRiver as a TV player.  But as said, I've been using WMC as my player and recorder.  I can't stand WMC so I tried to set up my tuners in JRiver.

I could not load the EPG and get the "The guide is not valid or the program file is empty" message.  I did some researching on the forum and I understand there are EPG issues these days due to changes with Microsofts EPG provider for WMC

Couple of questions

1. Is there a workaround alternative to automatic EPG loads in JRiver 20.0.131
2.  If there is no answer to #1, is there a way to d/l an XML file to load using Zap2it TV. I was told you can get an EPG out of Zap2it with XML. but I am an XML Virgin and don't see way to d/l a TV Schedule File from Zap2It.  I  know you can load a TV Schedule in XML format

Thanks

Tilly

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

What country are you in?  Try reading some posts from others in your country.  In general, EPG is working again in U.S., Canada, and UK, maybe in others.

This will probably take us a few weeks to sort out, and I'm not sure what the status will be then.

tilly1615

• Recent member

Jim

I'm in the US - in the NY Metropolican Area.

JimH

• Administrator

Then you just need to set up the EPG.  Read yaobing's posts on EPG and mc2xml. 

There have been many changes in this area recently.  Try the build from the top of this board.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

With MC20, you can still use the "XMLTV" option.  So the answer to your question is yes, there is a work around.  

You can download zap2xml (http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/) and either setup MC to run it inside MC, or run it in Windows scheduler and have MC use its output xml file.

Details can be found in the EPG wiki.  Scroll down to XMLTV section and read instructions there as well as threads about zap2xml linked there, especially section "3a. Additional setup details for XMLTV".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tilly1615

• Recent member

With MC20, you can still use the "XMLTV" option.  So the answer to your question is yes, there is a work around.  

You can download zap2xml (http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/) and either setup MC to run it inside MC, or run it in Windows scheduler and have MC use its output xml file.

Details can be found in the EPG wiki.  Scroll down to XMLTV section and read instructions there as well as threads about zap2xml linked there, especially section "3a. Additional setup details for XMLTV".

Thank you Yao (and Jim).  I will use the Zap2xml app. that sounds beautiful

JRF

tilly1615

• Recent member

Jim and Yaobing

I set up Zap2XML to run in JRiver automatically. But I get this error message when it is launched. is this because I don't have Perl Libraries setup?  If so, is there an idiot proof guide for setting up Perl libraries in Windows 7 Ultra.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

You shouldn't be getting any error like that, and you don't need to have the PERL libraries installed. The zap2xml executable is a stand alone application. It doesn't need the PERL libraries.

Are you sure you downloaded the Windows installation executable from http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/ and not the PERL script?

The downloaded file name is zap2xml-install.exe, and all it does when you run it is extract the enclosed zap2xml.exe files, which is the executable you should be running.

Note that my antivirus program, Norton 360, said that both the installation file and the zap2xml executable were untrustworthy, and deleted them initially. I had to tell Norton that the files were good before it left them alone. You may need to turn your antivirus and anti-malware programs off before downloading and running the installation file, and then tell your antivirus, anti-malware and firewall programs to trust the zap2xml executable as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tilly1615

• Recent member

Yes

I am definitely running the Windows Install exe (from the self contained installed exe).  BTW, there is only one exe file that is created from the zap2xml-install.exe file. Is that right?

Here is the info I use to run it. Perhaps my parameters are incorrect?

Run this executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zap2XML\zap2xml.exe

Pass these parameters through command line: -u email-account -p e-mail-pw o "c:\temp\jeff.xml"
(I removed my zap2it account and pw and replaced it with the generic 'e-mail-account' and  'e-mail-pw'

Load XML from this file: c:\temp\jeff.xml
You shouldn't be getting any error like that, and you don't need to have the PERL libraries installed. The zap2xml executable is a stand alone application. It doesn't need the PERL libraries.

Are you sure you downloaded the Windows installation executable from http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/ and not the PERL script?

The downloaded file name is zap2xml-install.exe, and all it does when you run it is extract the enclosed zap2xml.exe files, which is the executable you should be running.

Note that my antivirus program, Norton 360, said that both the installation file and the zap2xml executable were untrustworthy, and deleted them initially. I had to tell Norton that the files were good before it left them alone. You may need to turn your antivirus and anti-malware programs off before downloading and running the installation file, and then tell your antivirus, anti-malware and firewall programs to trust the zap2xml executable as well.

CountryBumkin

Here is the info I use to run it. Perhaps my parameters are incorrect?

Pass these parameters through command line: -u email-account -p e-mail-pw o "c:\temp\jeff.xml"
(I removed my zap2it account and pw and replaced it with the generic 'e-mail-account' and  'e-mail-pw'

Load XML from this file: c:\temp\jeff.xml

The switches should be set like this " -u yourAccountNameAtZap2xml -p yourPasswordAtZap2xml" (not your actual e-mail and e-mail password which may be different). This is enough to make the program work. I would suggest you let the program run in the folder where Zap2xml is located (at least for testing). However note that you did not have the "-"  in front of the "o" option.

Also the data from Zap2xml is worse than mc2xml using Microsoft, in my testing unless you add the option "-D".

Unfortunately the option -D only worked once for me, every other time I get an error "([Attempt 3] 500 Internal Server Error at script/zap2xml.pl line 261. Failed to download within 3 retries.)" as Roderick also mentioned in his post #22 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100144.0

Yaobing

• Administrator

From zap2xml site:

Perl is also packaged for windows and needs the TimeDate package to be installed from the Perl Package Manager (ppm install TimeDate))

I do not quite understand this.  Does it mean a user has to make sure TimeDate package has been installed before trying the zap2xml Windows installer?

Also from zap2xml:

Windows Note: "Can't locate URI.pm" error usually means something
(virus scanner?) deleted that standard perl file when it was extracted to your
C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\par-### folder
Delete that temp cache dir and retry (ensure URI.pm isn't deleted again)

Yaobing

• Administrator

Also the data from Zap2xml is worse than mc2xml using Microsoft, in my testing unless you add the option "-D".

Unfortunately the option -D only worked once for me, every other time I get an error "([Attempt 3] 500 Internal Server Error at script/zap2xml.pl line 261. Failed to download within 3 retries.)" as Roderick also mentioned in his post #22 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100144.0

Please note that mc2xml works best in MC21, because it is integrated into MC.  For MC20 users in the USA, zap2xml is still the best available free option since the free version of mc2xml would be useless in USA.  However, if you make a donation to mc2xml developer, you can get a version of mc2xml that will work in MC20 as an external program.  The setup will be similar to setting up zap2xml (and do not use the mc2xml option in MC20 because it uses the free version of mc2xml.  Use XMLTV option instead like you would with zap2xml.).

CountryBumkin

From zap2xml site:

I do not quite understand this.  Does it mean a user has to make sure TimeDate package has been installed before trying the zap2xml Windows installer?

Also from zap2xml:

No. I e-mailed author a while back and asked that question. No other downloads are needed. Zap2xml is complete and will work as is.

For example:
Running Zap2xml from Command Prompt in directory where program resides without the "-D" option - it works - I get this:

Running Zap2xml from same place, same way, but this time with the -D option (note the -D is needed to get Season and Episode Numbers). It fails:

I did get it to run once - so I'm not sure why it fails now (maybe heavy website traffic during daytime?).

But it does run. Perhaps Tilly1615 doesn't have write permissions for the directory he's using. I had similar trouble trying to run XMLTVBD from "Program Files" directory (thanks to Roderick) I now run them from C:\programNameFolder (root folder of C:).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

From zap2xml site:

I do not quite understand this.  Does it mean a user has to make sure TimeDate package has been installed before trying the zap2xml Windows installer?

That only applies if you install and use the PERL script version of zap2xml. Its placement on the page is a little confusing. Had me thinking the first time I read it.

Zap2xml creates a Cache directory directly below the folder it is run from, so in this case it tries to create the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zap2XML\cache".

Windows doesn't allow programs to write data into the directory structure below the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder, unless you override all sorts of permissions stuff, which you should not. You need to either move it out to its own directory somewhere, as CountryBumkin suggested, or use the command option "-c <cacheDirectory> (default = "cache")" to specify an alternate location. You should be able to get away with setting that to "C:\ProgramData\cache" or similar, perhaps "C:\ProgramData\zap2xml\cache" for clarity, but you may want the cache to be on a drive other than your boot drive, C:. It depends on how many drives you have, and how much space you have on C:. My cache for one run with 9 Channels and 7 days of data was just 1.27MB, but it was nearly 10MB on disk, as it is made up of lots of small files. So if you have 800 Channels the cache could get big. Probably not multiple gigabytes though.

My zap2xml installation didn't create any other files or directories, other than the Output file which you have correctly placed, and I can't see any other command options that refer to creation of other files and directories, so the above change should make zap2xml work in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zap2XML\" directory.

Note that the first time I ran zap2xml I did it from a batch file, and so when it failed due to timeouts I couldn't see the error message. So after that I just ran it in a command window I opened first. I'm not using it for my real EPG collection, so I didn't need to set it up properly. I suggest that if you use a batch file while testing that you add a "Pause" command to the end of the file, so that you get a "Press any key to continue . . ." message at the end of the run, and can view any messages before the batch file window closes.

(I removed my zap2it account and pw and replaced it with the generic 'e-mail-account' and  'e-mail-pw'

As CountryBumkin noted, you missed the "-" for the "-o" option in the above command, although of course you may have had it right in the actual command you ran. I'm sure you used your zap2it (not zap2xml CB!) user name (which is an email address) and password in the real command as well. Forgive us for being pedantic.  ;D  Sometimes when people write something like "e-mail-pw" they actually do use their email password, instead of the correct password relevant to the task at hand. I have seen people argue black and blue that they are entering their password correctly . . . until they realise that they are entering their email password instead of a web site password.  ::)

You should use the -e commands, "-e = encode entities (html special characters like accents)" so that characters are displayed correctly.
You could use the -D command, "-D = include extra program details (S##E##) = 1 extra http request per program!", but I have found recently found that zap2it doesn't have Season and Episode numbers for all programs, so that may be of less use than I originally thought. If you do use it, and you get the time out message CountryBumkin mentioned, you could use the -r command, "-r <# of connection retries before failure> (default = 3, max 20)" to increase the number of retries. But that loads the server a lot more, and if it is busy and not responding, then it probably won't respond better if you retry more often. But, the command is there to try.
If you do use the -r command, you may want to also add the -S command, "-S <#seconds> sleep between requests to prevent flooding of server", so that the server gets a little break from your downloads to catch up and serve other users. That may considerably slow your EPG data collection though. If you use it, try no more than 2 seconds of sleep. In fact I would start at 0.1 seconds if zap2xml will take fractions, and see how long the collection took before increasing it.

Okay, I think that covers everything.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tilly1615

• Recent member

Hey folks

I did miss the -o option in the output folder but I am still getting this same error on this machine

So I went to another machine and found that I could run the command there. It has JRiver too.  So I will run it of of there and use that.

CountryBumkin

Why don't you create a new folder at the root of C:? Like "C:\Zap2xml".
That makes the path real easy. Put the zap2xml.exe file in that folder.

Then open a Command Prompt (I used an elevated Command Prompt, but it may not matter) and type "cd C:\zap2xml" to change to the zap2xml directory. And run the program by typing in the "Zap2xml -u youremail@email.com -p password" and see if it works.

tilly1615

• Recent member

Ok

I was able to get Zap2XML to work on another machine with JRiver

And I saw the DOS prompts running and saw the XML file being created.  I even loaded the XML file to see it and saw the grid - so its a valid XML file

But after the run completes, still I get the message - "The Program Guide is Not Valid, or does not contain any program information" after the Zap2XML process is done in JRiver :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

JimH

• Administrator

tilly,
If you use Alt Print Screen instead of just Print Screen, your image will be smaller.  It gets just the window with focus instead of the whole screen.

CountryBumkin

Ok

I was able to get Zap2XML to work on another machine with JRiver

And I saw the DOS prompts running and saw the XML file being created.  I even loaded the XML file to see it and saw the grid - so its a valid XML file

But after the run completes, still I get the message - "The Program Guide is Not Valid, or does not contain any program information" after the Zap2XML process is done in JRiver :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Did you load the new EPG data by selecting "use XMLTV" in the setup then use "browse" to locate/point-to the location of the xmltv.xml file? See the pictures of the setup process (if it helps) in the thread "USA TV Setup" near the end of the thread for Zap2xml setup. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100319.0

tilly1615

• Recent member

tilly,
If you use Alt Print Screen instead of just Print Screen, your image will be smaller.  It gets just the window with focus instead of the whole screen.

I thought I did Jim and I was surprised I didn't get the focus window.   will make sure I check when I do a screen print

thx

Jeff

tilly1615

• Recent member

Did you load the new EPG data by selecting "use XMLTV" in the setup then use "browse" to locate/point-to the location of the xmltv.xml file? See the pictures of the setup process (if it helps) in the thread "USA TV Setup" near the end of the thread for Zap2xml setup. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100319.0

thanks Country

I'm going to do the entire setup from scratch as if its never been done and see what happens

Jeff (Tilly)
Pages: [1]   Go Up