INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 32 - LAV Filters  (Read 557 times)

urthling

• Recent member
MC 32 - LAV Filters
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:28:11 pm »

Hi All -

Performed a fresh install of MC32 on a new PC, and I'm unable to find the LAV filters.  When I go to Tools > Video > General Video Settings > Video Mode and select "Advanced - Custom", LAV Filters does not show up as options.  I disabled Windows Firewall and Defender but to no avail.  Are they installed upon initial MC32 installation or do they have to be installed separately?  Or, if there is an internal version of LAV installed, how do I access the settings?

Thanks for any advice.

urthling

• Recent member
Re: MC 32 - LAV Filters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 08:54:03 am »

Bumping.

Any advice from devs or others?  I've completed searches on the forum but haven't stumbled upon a solution regarding internal LAV filters.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 09:06:11 am »

We install our own version of LAV.  You don't need to do anything.

Did you try playing a video?  Use our JRVR Renderer.

urthling

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 09:35:41 am »

Did you try playing a video?  Use our JRVR Renderer.

Hi Jim.  Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I have played several videos. I have a CIH setup, so I believe I need to use the custom setting to change the LAV video decoder settings to move elements (OSD, subtitles) into the visible area.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 09:50:03 am »

Use our LAV.  Customize in our interface.

urthling

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 09:57:13 am »

Use our LAV.  Customize in our interface.

Would you please provide guidance where I can find those settings?  Thank you for the resolution.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 11:20:32 am »

Would you please provide guidance where I can find those settings?  Thank you for the resolution.
You have to start playing a video and then right click on the video while it is playing and you will see a subtitle sub-menu where you can make adjustments to the defaults. MC will remember how you set it and keep the same subtitle settings the next time you play the video. Basically, you have to adjust subtitles for each video individually.

I have spoken with Hendrik about this matter, as the default position just doesn't work a lot of the time for us CIH users. I have requested that we be allowed to adjust the default settings so that we don't have to adjust the subtitles for each film individually, but I don't know if there are any changes in the works...I just keep hoping that I will see the changes happen at some point, as moving the subs on a one by one basis is getting old very fast. Personally, I just need the defaults to be raised by 10% and I would be happy. That would make the subtitles a little bit too high for 16:9 material, but it is a small price to pay to fix subs from being in the black bar area (or worse yet, chopped off halfway) on widescreen material. So far a 10% upward shift is the best all around position (11% would be better, but we can only shift in 5% increments) that I have found as long as you are not overscanning your widescreen ARs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 01:57:11 pm »

urthling

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 02:08:12 pm »

Thanks for your feedback Bob.

I agree that adjusting subtitle positions for every movie would get tedious.    I can't test since I'm currently not at home, but does this bring the OSD to within the viewing area?

Also, is there a compelling reason not to install LAV filters externally if we can't adjust the settings within the native version?  Previously, I had MPC-HC set up for dynamic black bar detection, auto-aspect ratio change for variable aspect ratio movies, etc. and I am hoping I can replicate this with MC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 03:16:57 pm »

Also, is there a compelling reason not to install LAV filters externally if we can't adjust the settings within the native version?  Previously, I had MPC-HC set up for dynamic black bar detection, auto-aspect ratio change for variable aspect ratio movies, etc. and I am hoping I can replicate this with MC.

There is no relevant settings in LAV that would affect any of this.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 03:56:22 pm »

Thanks for your feedback Bob.

I agree that adjusting subtitle positions for every movie would get tedious.    I can't test since I'm currently not at home, but does this bring the OSD to within the viewing area?
No...just the subtitles.

Read the post above mine....I am absolutely sure that Hendrik knows... ;)

The dynamic black bar detection and auto aspect ratio change are features that I have also requested, but I am not technical enough to know where that happens within the player's chain. Once again, this question is much better directed to Hendrik as to if and when these features will be added, but I agree with you, these would be killer additions to an already great directshow player! I think that one of the problems is that CIH users are in the minority here. My feeling is that the majority of users are playing back video on fixed 16:9 flatscreen TVs, so the need/want for such features does not have a particularly large audience.

Edit: As I think about it, I am going to stick my neck out and say that most, if not all, of these features take place within the video renderer. For example, my reasoning is that both madVR and JRVR are available in MC, yet madVR requires a simple change in a dropdown somewhere (I don't remember where right now) that moves all subtitles within the content area, the way that we need as CIH users. If that capability was available outside of the VR, then we would already have that feature with MC, as that setting would affect either/both madVR and JRVR within the MC "framework". But I don't use madVR any more, so I am not an expert, as it looks somewhat dull and muted to me on my setup.

I am a JRVR supporter...It simply looks and behaves better on my setup than the last madVR version that does not timeout after 6 months (version b113?). The colors are tastefully more saturated and the tone mapping is better, of course IMHO. Like Jim says...try it!

urthling

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 04:44:00 pm »

@Bob Sorel

Yes, we're likely in the minority using MC with a CIH setup.  Therefore, I can understand why adding these features is low on the totem pole.  However, some workarounds exist to achieve most of what we'd like.  MC works mostly out of the box for me, so that's the reason I paid for a master license to support development rather than just a Windows license.

@JimH and Hendrik

Thank you for the pointer to the wiki.  After further digging, and Bob's suggestion, I found the configuration settings by right-clicking on the video.   

I read on AVSforum that for madVR to move elements such as subtitles and the OSD, into the "active video area," that the hardware decoder had to be changed in LAV filters to DXVA2 (copy-back) or D3D11.  With the native LAV filters, unfortuantely, they are auto-configured and greyed out for any modifications, and the OSD and subtitles remain beneath my screen.  After installing the external LAV filters, and changing the hardware decoder, it works as desired.

It'd be great to stick with the internal builds if possible for consistency when upgrading, so is there a way to make the necessary changes to the hardware decoder within the native LAV video filter?  Or is there some other setting I should change?

goodsonr

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 09:21:21 pm »

new user here .. but similar in that previously using madvr with mpc-hc.    Using madvr within MC - it looks like moving the subtitles worked (I think D3D11 is used).  Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Trying out auto-resizing for the first time.  What I have done is, using a suggestion on the forum, was to use NVIDIA control panel to resize the desktop to 3840x1640.  Unfortunately, this only allows a refresh rate of 24Hz (aside .. if I add a custom resolution, rather than resize, my JVC won't sync to it).  So ...   This works great for automatically resizing movies into the desktop (including movies with changing aspect ratio), but - since 24Hz .. I get a lot of added-frames (due to movies being 23.97whatever), and I can see the occasional video glitch.

Anybody knows how I can completely frame-match movie/desktop, I'd be interested to know.  Using a nvidia 2060 super is that's useful.

(aside .. about to post a separate message about HDMI audio dropouts ... hoping another new-user-needs-to-be-educated item)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 02:49:24 am »

It'd be great to stick with the internal builds if possible for consistency when upgrading, so is there a way to make the necessary changes to the hardware decoder within the native LAV video filter?  Or is there some other setting I should change?

The setting in Media Center's Video settings called "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" toggles DXVA2 Copy-Back decoding with madVR. If thats disabled, it'll use DXVA2 Copy-Back, which should give you the desired results within the limitations of madVR.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 04:13:40 pm »

Hi,
As a longtime MC-user I‘m also sad that the subtitle shift isn‘t available in JRVR.
I shift the video always to the lower end of my 16:9 front projection screen and thus the subtitles are gone…. (And I must do the shift for every single movie by hand again and again  ::) )
I really hope that Hendrick will help us soon!

urthling

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:19:05 pm »

The setting in Media Center's Video settings called "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" toggles DXVA2 Copy-Back decoding with madVR. If thats disabled, it'll use DXVA2 Copy-Back, which should give you the desired results within the limitations of madVR.

@Hendrik

Is there a way to configure the internal LAV filters?  Unfortuantely, I believe I have to change one more setting (selecting Hardware Device) in LAV Video Decoder in order to get it to work on a new system.  Without installing external LAV filters, it doesn't appear I can explicitly specify the hardware device to use.  I would be grateful for any advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up