INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: default to Media center  (Read 2574 times)

markatit

• Recent member
default to Media center
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:28:48 pm »

I am having all sorts of difficulties in getting MC 20 to be the default player for all audio files.  Windows Media Center always tries to intrude its ugly self but I just want all files to play with MC20 and the DAC I use with it.  Help?  This may be related to problems I sometimes have in getting files from the Web or iTunes to play in the same way.  I want it all to go through MC.

thanks in advance!

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: default to Media center
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:33:50 am »

You need to set the file associations so that MC is the default player for the various media types.

Goto 'Tools --> Options'

Then select 'File Types' and then you will see a list of all the various file types and you can set the file association to either 'Yes' or 'No'.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:20:19 am »

In Windows Explorer, find one of the file types (ogg, mp3, etc.) and right click on it, then in the popup go to "Open With", and go to the bottom of the popup and select "Choose another app" or "Choose default program" (depending on which Windows version you have). Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"  or "Always use this app ...", and then select JRiver Media Center program.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:53 am »

In Windows Explorer, find one of the file types (ogg, mp3, etc.) and right click on it, then in the popup go to "Open With", and go to the bottom of the popup and select "Choose another app" or "Choose default program" (depending on which Windows version you have). Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"  or "Always use this app ...", and then select JRiver Media Center program.

I'm just curious, why would this be preferable to changing the associations from within MC as I described above where you can change all the associations in one place without having to find an example of each file type.

I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just wondering if there is something I'm not aware of.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:31:46 pm »

It's not preferable - I'm only suggesting that it might help/fix the problem.
Usually you don't need to do anything outside of Media Center but sometimes software gets a mind of it own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up