INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about streaming via Airplay to multiple devices  (Read 4262 times)

sonicsound

Question about streaming via Airplay to multiple devices
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:22:40 am »

I apologize in advance for this newbie question (and feel free to lemme know if my question should be posted elsewhere), but I have a Mac Mini connected via HDMI to a networked AVR that has an internal DAC.  I actually don't want to use the HDMI connection however, and instead stream 24/192 (and maybe DSD) music files via Airplay to the networked AVR (it's Airplay capable), as well as to the 2 other speakers (also high resolution capable with internal DACs) simultaneously.  Can someone explain how to configure MC21 so that the MacMini is not outputting via HDMI and only through the 3 Airplay sources?  I can't seem to find instructions on how to do so..  How do you set up Airplay devices and not use the hardwired (HDMI in this case) connection?
Also, my second question is: the AVR and 2 other speakers all have DACs in them, and are capable of playing high resolution files, so will Airplay stream up to 24/192 quality at least?  Thanks.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re: Question about streaming via Airplay to multiple devices
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:38:41 am »

I keep hoping that this will be implemented.  I use this in iTunes and love the functionality... just don't love iTunes.  I love MC, but w/o this feature, I can't really use it at home.

As I understand it, it seems like the developers got bit by Apple with the various issues around sync'ing to iPods back in the day... and as a result aren't going out of their way to support AirPlay.

Also, I believe that AirPlay maxes out at 48khz sampling rates.

I think that there are some work arounds if you are willing to use AirFoil (From Rogue Amoeba Audio), but then you have to use two separate remotes for volume control.

horse

• World Citizen
Re: Question about streaming via Airplay to multiple devices
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:32:11 am »

@ sonic sound

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do or your exact hardware and why not HDMI for the direct attached AVR.
You may find you get better interoperability and user experience if your AVR's have DLNA as MC will discover them natively.
The later AVR's seem to have better support for gapless and high resolutions with DLNA.
My older Denon 4806CI does not do well on DLNA hence I use SPDI/F, however my sons much cheaper but new Yamaha does well with gapless and even 192kHz / 24bit streams.
Using the method Hilton and Jmone have documented with Tuneblade you can link Zones that way.

Can't remember what the resolution maximum I have used with Tuneblade and it's too late at night to test now.

HDMI's gives you direct digital audio to the DAC in the AVR. The annoying thing with HDMI is all the HDCP and CEC which when listening to music wants to keep turning the TV on and passing new capabilities to the PC.
Ended up overriding the display EDID and modifying the cable removing hot plug. Not possible on. MacMini I believe with OSX.

Can you provide more detail?

Pages: [1]   Go Up