INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync 2 pcs to play same song  (Read 2651 times)

eddieg69

• Recent member
sync 2 pcs to play same song
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »

I have 2 PCs running JRiver. The one downstairs is the media server. I would like to be able to have a playlist playing on it and have the upstairs PC in sync playing the same playlist or song or album whatever. Is this possible and how do I do it? I can play something upstairs from the server but I want them both playing together simultaneously. Zones seems like I would need multiple outputs from one PC.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: sync 2 pcs to play same song
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:01:06 pm »

You have the option you mentioned here:

Zones seems like I would need multiple outputs from one PC.

Local playback from the same PC with 2 zones setup from a single 5.1 sound card configured as 2 stereo outputs. (or 2 sound card devices)
Then run line out stereo cables, speaker cables or a wireless FM type transmitter to another location in the house.  Running it from the same sound card pretty much guarantees they'll be in perfect sync.

or

Sync 2 zones together, one from each PC.
This isnt perfect for sync but it usually works well enough across 2 floors.

Here's a quick video of how to link 2 zones using different sound cards on the same PC. It works the same across 2 zones from different PCs however you may experience more drift when the 2nd zone is on another PC.

https://youtu.be/IR_-3-ONXL8

or

You have the option of implementing a dedicated syncronized Airplay playback zone using third party software with Airplay. It's detailed in the below thread using TuneBlade as a dedicated server zone with TuneAero installed on both the server and other end points.
This requires more configuration and technical knowledge, more software and Airplay compatible devices or the Airplay compatible TuneAero software installed. BUT it works very well.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95760.0

eddieg69

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:44 am »

Thanks, but I was hoping since they were on the network they would talk to each other. Thanks again, I don't like those options.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:58:43 am »

Thanks, but I was hoping since they were on the network they would talk to each other. Thanks again, I don't like those options.

Not sure what you mean?

If you have a pc in each room on the same network both running MC then all you need to do is follow what I did in the video and right-click on the zone you want and click on link zone and that's it.

eddieg69

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:44:54 pm »

Thanks, finally got it working. Didn't have DLNA turned on, on player 2 so it wasn't being found. Thought only one would be the server didn't know I could have two. Now to play with Link timing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up