INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Command-W key code to close a window  (Read 3038 times)

bobkatz

• World Citizen
Feature request: Command-W key code to close a window
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:51:29 am »

Most good Mac applications obey command-W to close any window that has a red dot in its upper left corner. I'm very into ergonomics and one of the basic principles is if you are working with a mouse, stay with the mouse. If you are on the keyboard, you should not have to switch to the mouse if you can use a common keyboard shortcut to accomplish the same thing.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Command-W key code to close a window
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

On my system Command-W closes each tab in MC.  On the last tab, it asks if you want to close the program and does so if you click Yes.

Are you looking for that behavior or something else?

Oh, and Command-H hides the window also.

Brian.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:01:09 pm »

On my system Command-W closes each tab in MC.  On the last tab, it asks if you want to close the program and does so if you click Yes.

Are you looking for that behavior or something else?

Oh, and Command-H hides the window also.

Brian.

I see! I was hoping to get command-W to work on floating windows like DSP Studio. Anyway, it's not a life or death issue....

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »

On floating windows like DSP Studio and Options, the Escape key closes them.  I agree that Command-W would be more consistent, but escape works fine.  Also seems to work on other floating windows I tried it on.  So escape for floaters and Command-W for main window/tabs. 

Brian.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:11:00 am »

On floating windows like DSP Studio and Options, the Escape key closes them.  I agree that Command-W would be more consistent, but escape works fine.  Also seems to work on other floating windows I tried it on.  So escape for floaters and Command-W for main window/tabs. 

Brian.

Sadly, a bit unmac-like. I'd put it on the list of "some day, when we have time." If you're not a diehard OSX person like me, this would seem like a trivial complaint. But then again, I wonder how people put up with alt-F4 for "quit" in PC land all these awful years.

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:44 am »

Also a bit sad at this.  Sure, it's no big deal on its own, but these little things add up to a total user experience and perception of quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up