INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving thousands of music files  (Read 2574 times)

jcw

• Recent member
Moving thousands of music files
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:20 am »

my music collection is now about 8000 files and it's outgrowing the drive that it's on.  Is there a smart way to move them to a new drive without breaking anything.  It isn't quite the whole library as I already have some (a few hundred) files on a different drive that are in the same library.  I basically want to consolidate everything onto one drive.

many thanks

John

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving thousands of music files
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:04:18 am »

Some suggestions.

Start small and see how you go.

Use MC to move your files not some other file management software. If you use MC, your library will stay up to date.

Consult the Wiki for further info, especially http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

Personally, I wouldn't use MC to move files from drive to drive.  The Rename, Move, and Copy tool is *awesome*.  But when it moves files, it doesn't give status, which makes it really hard to track what's going on.  I would do it like this, as a high level overview:

1.  Use rsync, robocopy, or some other file copying tool to copy your 8000 files from drive A to drive B, preserving the EXACT SAME directory structure.  Example source and destination:

Source:  F:\Music\Pink Floyd\Dark Side Of The Moon\01_Breathe.flac
Destination:  G:\Music\Pink Floyd\Dark Side Of The Moon\01_Breathe.flac

You could add some top level directories like G:\New\Dir\Here\Music\Pink Floyd\...  but try to keep it simple for the next step.

2.  Use the Rename, Move, and Copy tool in Update Database mode.  This will let you change the location that MC knows for all of your files to point to a new location.  Use Find and Replace to change the drive letter and maybe a top level directory or two.  Wiki article for reference:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

As the previous poster said:  Start small.  Do some experiments so you can learn the tools and figure out a method that works.  Then do some more.   Continue using larger batches until you're done.  Validate your work as you go.  Use the Preview Pane in the RM&C tool before you press OK.

Good luck!

Brian.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:42:31 am »

Try this.  I use it to back-up my files on a separate drive and it is great and FREE!!  It will mirror your present directory when you move it.  Did I mention it works great and it's FREE!!

http://www.freefilesync.org/

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:35 am »

I use FastCopy, the point is doesn't matter what you use but I agree with blgentry that using an outside source then using RMC to update the database is best (and fastest)

One thing to do is make a library backup FIRST, so you have the most recent everything guaranteed to be stored, and if there is a mistake it's easy to try again

My suggestion also is to COPY the files first (not move) so you can get MC running with the new location first, then either delete the old location later (or even better, leave them there as a backup!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up