INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another reason why MC rocks  (Read 1890 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Yet another reason why MC rocks
« on: September 10, 2003, 11:52:13 am »

Just discovered how much "semicolon delimited" fields rock. I had been using "custom 1" in exactly the way that "semicolon delimited" is supposed to be used, but I had been using spaces as the delimiters. When I went to make a smartlist, I got a list of all permutations of the field, like:

2000s
2000s Jukebox
2000s Jukebox Soft
2000s Hard
1990s
1990s Jukebox
etc...

Semicolon delimited fields show each individual item with a checkbox next to it, like it should be, when you make a smartlist:

2000s
Jukebox
Hard
Soft
etc...

I also just discovered how much this ROCKS with tagging mode. I can just click on one or more "tags" that I want added to the semicolon delimited list. BOOM!

MC is the BEST BEST BEST EVER!

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Yet another reason why MC rocks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 11:58:56 am »

This is a GREAT part of MC.

I started out with MC thinking that I would make a bunch of cool Smartlists and that they were the best thing ever.

Now I just use the panes to select the combination of things that I want (control click on multiples) and get a new group of songs/pictures on the fly, barely any reason to bother creating a smartlist anymore......

I'm still a MC newbie, but I am discovering new things to do with it every day!

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 12:15:49 pm »

I still use smartlists, but I combine them with my semicolon-delimited "groups" field to make it easy to add/subtract songs from the smartlist. So I have one smartlist with the rule "groups=hard". It contains any song with "hard" in the groups field. Then, when I get a new CD ripped, I go into tagging mode and check "hard" for all the songs I want added to that playlist. Voila!

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 01:15:22 pm »

Yeah, I agree, MC Rocks!  I started using it long ago to do the same kinds of things with smart play lists and song attributes.  Only, back then, delimited fields were not yet supported, so I just used static playlists that stand for certain attributes.  I simply check all the attributes (read: playlists) that apply to a given song, and it automatically gets added to all appropriate smartlists.

Now, delimited fields seem to offer the same concept in a different way. I have not converted to using delimited fields, but still use static playlists.

Can anyone suggest reasons why one method may be more preferable to another?

Soundman

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 01:21:54 pm »

Incidentally, the "copy fields" and "find and replace" features made it easy for me to switch methods. I copied my "custom 1" field to a new "groups" field and then did a find-and-replace, replacing spaces with semicolons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up