INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a laptop with music libraires on different drives  (Read 1730 times)

blackrider99

Using a laptop with music libraires on different drives
« on: September 26, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »

I take a laptop to and from work, where I keep my music on an external drive.  

How can I prevent having everything duplicated based on the differnent drives?

I don't have room for all the music on my laptop, so it has to stay on the external drives.

Is there a simple fix for picking one music folder at home, and the other at work?

Thanks,
blackrider99

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using a laptop with music libraires on different drives
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »

Hmm...more info needed

Do you have another computer at home?  Is that what you mean?

You can make a new library, you can make a new user, you can set MC to look only at certain folders on the drive...a lot of different ways to do it but need to know the situation to be more helpful

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:14:28 pm »

If I understand the situation correctly, you have one laptop.  It goes from home to work and back again.  You have two drives.  One at home, one at work.  They always stay in their places and don't move from place to place.  Home drive stays at home, work drive stays at work.

If that's correct, I would recommend simply making two Libraries:  One for home, a second for work.

File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library

Import your files from your work drive into a Library called something like "work", or whatever makes sense to you.  Import your home files into Main, or make a new one called "home" or something.  When you go to work and connect the drive, switch to that Library:  File > Library > (Choose the name of the work Library)

Same thing when you get home:  Connect the drive, then:  File > Library > (Choose the name of the home Library)

That way they stay 100% separate.  No overlap, no shared data, etc.  If you have Views and stuff that you want to replicate, you can do that too, with some additional steps.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:23:09 am »

It also helps if you can plug those external drives into the same port each time, do this before inserting any additional drives and be consistent.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up