INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This Newbie Needs Help Restoring a library  (Read 1997 times)

SteveW

This Newbie Needs Help Restoring a library
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »

Question This Newbie Needs Help With JRiver
OK guys I need some help.

Yesterday I thought that all was good but alas such is not the case

I had been running MC20 and yesterday updated to MC21

In the past two weeks I have transferred all of the music on my external hard drives to an NAS server.

Yesterday was the first time I had run JRiver in quite a while. On turning on JRiver for the first time it saw the server and created the new library. In my zeal and playing with MC21 I must have deleted the server library and there is no restore. I have toiled here for the past 2 hours trying to get JRiver to ADD again this new library but have not found an easy way to do it. I have tried with the server URL IP address but this does nothing

So to any of you out there that can help I would be much appreciative. BTW have any noticed that with the new MC21 there are some unexpected closings of MC21

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: This Newbie Needs Help Restoring a library
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:25:32 pm »

Hmmm. I am usually a Windows user, not a Mac user, but maybe...

When you first started MC21 for the first time, it would have automatically started Auto-Import after a 45 second (I think) delay. The library would have been empty until it did this Auto-Import. A MC installation is supposed to find the previous version library and use that, but it doesn't seem to do that in all cases, and the Mac install is quite different to the Windows install, so maybe it isn't intended to do that.

Anyway, first thing, are you sure you are running MC21 from the Applications folder, and not from the installation DMG? It is soooo easy to just open the DMG and run MC from within it that I did it on my first Mac install, and then got entirely confused about what was going on. So, if you are running MC21 from the mounted DMG, you need to fix the installation before anything else. That is done by copying the MC21 folder from the DMG to the Applications folder. If you need to do this, perhaps you should delete the installation file you have, since it may have had changes made to it while you used it, and re-download the installation file from JRiver.

Once you are sure that you have MC21 installed into the Applications folder, before running it, you need to decide what you want to do next.

If you just want to create a brand new library for your files on the new NAS, then start MC21, stop Auto-Import before it commences automatically after a countdown, change the file locations in Options, configure MC21's Auto-Import to watch the new NAS folders/address/whatever is needed, then run Auto-Import. The new blank library that was installed with MC21 will now be populated with your music.

HOWEVER, if you want to get your old library from MC20 back with all the information already set up in it, and you haven't uninstalled MC20 yet, then that is probably doable. There will be backups for MC20 somewhere. Sorry, I don't know where they would be exactly. Search the Mac, or around the forum to find that info. Once found, start MC21, stop any Auto-Import initiated with the new library. Then restore the MC20 backup into MC21 (File/Library/Restore Library, or Mac equivalent), change the file locations in Options, configure MC21's Auto-Import to watch the new NAS folders/address/whatever is needed, and make sure that the "Update for external changes" flag is ticked in the Auto-Import options, then run Auto-Import.

I think the second process should work fine. If I have missed something someone may speak up and let you know.

Oh, one more thing. If the first installation of MC21 created a backup of your new library before you deleted it, you may be able to simply restore that backup and get back most of what you had already done. It depends on when the backup was created.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up